shape
carat
color
clarity

Thomasville haggling?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Has anyone shopped at Thomasville in the last year and been able to haggle on price?

There is a Thomasville knock-off of a Baker bed that I love. The salesperson was willing to give me 40% off of "retail" (which seems like a fake number anyway) plus a sales tax refund. The bed still seems expensive, but I didn''t get the sense that there was any further wiggle room.

I ask for opinions from those PS''ers with shopping experience in the last year because there have been huge changes in the furniture industry and with Thomasville, in particular. The Thomasville outlet is closed, everything except upholstered pieces is made overseas, Thomasville seems to have had some quality control issues until about a year ago, etc.

I wish I could splurge on the Baker bed, but it''s crazy expensive!
15.gif

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Last year I bought a new Skovby dining room set at Dane Decor . At the time I received a letter for a buy one get one free from them since I was a preferred customer. Therefore, I thought I was getting a great deal on a new dining table and a free sidetable (same price as table) and 6 chairs for the price of three.

Then I found a Danish furniture store in nearby Skillman NJ and guess what? Their regular prices on the same pieces were half that of Dane Decor''s non-sale price. So I could have gotten the same pieces for the same price I paid on sale. Even though they did not stock the table I bought they could have gotten them for me. I have since bought several more pieces from the Skillman store (from picking out of catalogs) as their prices for the exact same merchandise is about 1/2 that of Dane Decor.

Also, several years ago I bought an Ekornes Stressless leather chair and I contacted a number of stores that carry this manufacturer and the prices are set by Ekornes and you cannot haggle on price. So in the end it depends on the manufacturer.

Many stores who carry the manufacturer brand can order any piece you want by that manufacturer. You have to ask and you can ask them for a price as well. Maybe this way you can see if the 40% off is a good price or not.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Thanks soocool. I called two other Thomasville stores and they quoted me the same deal. It sounds like T-ville corporate sets the pricing and individual stores may not have room to negotiate any further?

I wonder if I''d be better off waiting to see if a better sale will come up in February, but then if that doesn''t happen, I will have waited for nothing.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/27/2009 8:00:36 PM
Author: starryeyed
Thanks soocool. I called two other Thomasville stores and they quoted me the same deal. It sounds like T-ville corporate sets the pricing and individual stores may not have room to negotiate any further?

I wonder if I'd be better off waiting to see if a better sale will come up in February, but then if that doesn't happen, I will have waited for nothing.
Maybe call the store manager and see if there will be big sales in the future? Or ask when they discontinue a line? They do that every so often so maybe you could get it right when that happens? Starryeyed, I wanted to say it is soooo good to see you, huge hug!!! Hope you get the bed soon!
35.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI

Hey Starry! I have not bought Thomasville since they started to produce many of their items off shore, hence the last suite I bought was for my son and it was 50% off. Which collection from Baker do you like--I have found Baker on sale locally depending on the collection......

chees--Sharon

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Hi Skippy! Hi Sharon!
35.gif

Great to see you guys. I knew I could count on you!
36.gif

The Baker bed I LOVE is the Thomas Pheasant two poster king. T-ville discontinued the Nocturne four poster king, which is almost the same, except the 2 additional posts. I love the look. There is limited supply of Nocturne and the store didn''t seem willing to offer anything more than the 40% plus the sales tax refund and free shipping. Of course the T-ville bed is a fraction of the Baker bed, so that''s a bonus I guess. The best price so far on the Baker bed was almost $7K according to one of the shops in NC.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Here''s a picture of the Baker bed...

ccc05402.jpg

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Here''s the Thomasville bed...

43211_475S_DS_08a.jpeg

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
I used to work at a furniture store and there was no haggling. As a salesperson we were not able to discount any customer any more than the next one. Some sales are better than others, but not by much. Every once in a while there would be a sale that be incredible, but there is no way for the customer to know that this sale is better than the one before it without doinf the research. You are going to have to do your research. Don''t think that just because it sounds like a good sale that it is. Usually all the sales are the same price, just a dollar or two difference, but advertised differently. As far as looks go on the bed have you seen them both in person? They may look exactly alike and have a different price tag, but there is a reason for that. A less expensive one may be hollow while a pricier one is solid. Also check and see how secure it attaches to the base (frame). A cheaper headboard will have wiggle room when you move it. A higher quality headboard will not move when you grab the headboard. Just trying to keep your money in your pocket, and if you do spend it, make sure it is spent on a quality piece.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I didn''t know furniture places haggled...interesting.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
We just bought two new sofas, and although we loved ones we saw at Thomasville, they wouldn''t come down on price. We ended up getting sofas from some place else.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
another thought; do you think someone in NC could make something similar?

Anastasia

Shiny_Rock
Starryeyed,

I haven''t priced out Thomasville furniture in about three years, but I know at the time, the prices were the same everywhere. I did price it through a North Carolina furniture store, and the price, with shipping, was the same as I would pay at the local Thomasville store.

Since this bed is discontinued and available in limited supply, I would get right to the point with a manager of a store. Make an offer. The worst thing that could happen is that they say no. If they are desperate enough to make the sale, they might say yes.

Since it is a discontinued item, I think that you need to weigh the risk of not getting the bed, against saving a few hundred dollars. Will you be kicking yourself later if you can''t get the bed at all?

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Radiantquest - you make excellent points. I''ve been scouring the local stores and am satisfied with the quality vs. some of the other stuff I''ve seen. There is some real junk out there.

Italian, as it turns out, they were willing to give me a great deal on a floor sample of the discontinued bench that matches the bed - like 70% off. That made me feel better, along with the free shipping, so I made the deal. Bed should be arriving in about 4 weeks. Hooray!

Zoe, I hope you love your 2 new sofas. If it makes you feel any better, the salesperson I dealt with told me she would recommend T-ville wood furniture, but in order to contain US-based costs, the quality and durability of their fabrics have gone downhill, so she would prefer another brand. Good you did the same!

Skippy, I wish I had that kind of energy! Have you had furniture made in NC? I can''t imagine it being cheaper than stuff imported from China, but I''m overwhelmed by the idea of trying to find out.

Anastasia, I thought about what you said. I tried to offer less, but it didn''t work. The bench deal was the best I could do. There will probably be a great sale in February, but I feel better getting done and moving on.

Thanks everyone for your help!!
16.gif

Now onto bed linens.....I love Barbara Barry designs.
30.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey, Starry! Good to see you around! That bed is beautiful...I''m sure you''ll love it!

We are very fortunate to live in furniture-land...NC! We generally can get around 45-50% off retail. We are about to buy a new house, and I''ll start looking for new furniture then. I dread it in a way, because there is so much here to look at!

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Thomasville probably won''t haggle, but I could see an independent furniture that carries Thomasville doing so. Well, I know they do, but you have to buy more than one piece of course.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/2/2009 9:10:56 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Hey, Starry! Good to see you around! That bed is beautiful...I''m sure you''ll love it!

We are very fortunate to live in furniture-land...NC! We generally can get around 45-50% off retail. We are about to buy a new house, and I''ll start looking for new furniture then. I dread it in a way, because there is so much here to look at!
Hi Diamondseeker! Nice to see you too.
35.gif

Congrats on the new house. That''s my deal too. Furniture shopping is overwhelming, to say the least. Have you been to Hickory Furniture Mart?

Thanks for the thought PennQuaker.
1.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/5/2009 5:58:21 PM
Author: starryeyed

Date: 10/2/2009 9:10:56 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Hey, Starry! Good to see you around! That bed is beautiful...I'm sure you'll love it!

We are very fortunate to live in furniture-land...NC! We generally can get around 45-50% off retail. We are about to buy a new house, and I'll start looking for new furniture then. I dread it in a way, because there is so much here to look at!
Hi Diamondseeker! Nice to see you too.
35.gif

Congrats on the new house. That's my deal too. Furniture shopping is overwhelming, to say the least. Have you been to Hickory Furniture Mart?

Thanks for the thought PennQuaker.
1.gif
Yes, I only live 20-25 minutes from Hickory Furniture Mart! You haven't been there have you??? There is a vast amount of furniture there and then for the next 20 miles north. There is a Thomasville outlet, and I do intend to go there. Kincaid also makes solid wood furniture, and they have an outlet near there, too. We put in another offer on a house today, so I am planning to furniture shop just as soon as we get a contract signed!

Oh, and I LOVE the bed you chose! Beautiful!
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results