shape
carat
color
clarity

This might offend some folks....

Xrisus

Shiny_Rock
After much deliberation, I decided to lock up a large portion of my gemstone collection into my safe deposit box in the deep dark depths of my bank before moving overseas. I just didn't want the stress and uncertainty of moving them (concerns of theft or loss during the move), and not having a secure place to keep them in my new home. Has anyone ever separated themselves from their collection for a long period of time *years* (it will be a while). If I suddenly come back to them and am totally ambivelent, I hereby will a certain pink mahenge trillion from the gem trader (Brad) to Niel, and all others to NKOTB to hand out or keep for herself. I took some goodbye shots (in really awesome basement flourescent lighting) of some of them before sending them into gemstone purgatory (insert maniacal laugh here).

_3689.jpeg

_3690.jpeg

_3691.jpeg

_3693.jpeg

Q

Queenie60

Wise idea!

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
First of all...there's no dancing, pumping fist emoticon to demonstrate what just happened at my computer (in case of ambivalence), so I'll just answer your question... ;-)

I haven't been separated from my gems for extended periods, the longest has been a few weeks or so. I have definitely missed them during those times, but I also go through periods of way longer without visiting/playing with them. I imagine it will depend how long you are gone, where you go, and what happens while you're gone.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
[quote="Xrisus| Has anyone ever separated themselves from their collection for a long period of time *years* (it will be a while).[/quote]

Best wishes for a smooth move overseas. To answer your question I have not. While living between two different houses I kept my gemmies close. And I did lose an alexandrite (not ideal or terribly expensive) during this process. With that said I am a collector and like most collectors am slightly OCD. Which means when I want to see my collection I want to see it, count it, savor it. Being separated would likely result in another hobby to satisfy my OCD. Experience has taught me this is likely expensive.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you missing your gemstones? I've kept stuff at the inlaws shop which is an 8+ hour drive away because they have a huge safe and commercial insurance and mostly I don't miss it, I know it's there but out of site out of mind. I hope you have a safe trip/transition to where ever you are moving too.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my.... :shock: Well, I haven't been away from mine for a long time, but moving them across the country is giving me some hives.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Moving is a very stressful time so it is a wise decision to leave it at the bank deposit box for safety. I hope you'll return safely and love them even more when you are reunited. :wavey:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I moved twice this past year (long story) and kept all of my collection in the bank for all that time. When I'm settled, about 98% of my collection is in the bank. I only wear rings/jewelry that I keep on and don't leave at home. There are some pieces I haven't seen and worn in over a year, but then I get antsy for them and take them out, and swap out others. The bank vault is really the best place to leave your valuables. I wouldn't have it any other way.

aussiejamie

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Do you have any opals in your collection going to the bank vault?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's right; don't store any opals or pearls in the vault.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good luck with the relocation!

Of all the life's big stressful events - I dealt with deaths of loved ones and new jobs with no issues, however, I found relocation the most stressful, and have not planned to move again for as long as I can help it! :rolleyes:

DK :))

VeraMae

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1463965643|4034971 said:
That's right; don't store any opals or pearls in the vault.
Why is that? I mean. I guess I could google it, but, a yearn to learn plus friendly conversation and all that :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The air is dry and will cause damage to the pearls and opal, which require humidity.

aussiejamie

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Due to valuables such as important documents, paintings and books etc the vaults are usually climate controlled with very low humidity. The low humidity stops spoiling of paper and other moisture sensitive objects. In the case of opals they need some humidity or they can dry out and craze. This is due to the water content of opal which is usually between 6 and 10 percent. Good pickup on the pearl to chrono.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results