carat
color
clarity

This is ridiculous!!

voce

Ideal_Rock

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
“I don’t get how we were treated as a threat when we’re clearly not one. If we were White, that wouldn’t happen,” Thorne said, adding “there had been as many as 40 showings without incident in the three weeks that house had been on the market.”

There's a part of me that has to ask:
Was it well intentioned, though?
Did the neighbor call up to forty other times in the last three weeks? Why did the neighbor say it was the same individual who broke in previously? Why did the police go into major overdrive and guns out for a break in at an empty residence?
The realtor, the man, and his son entered through the front door. The only thing of note is that they all happened to be black.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's an example of someone acting with good intentions but completely misguided

I disagree. I don't think this person had good intentions... 40 showings and the neighbours only called the cops on THESE people? I guess better the family find out before they've purchased the house rather than live next to them.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What the actual F.

I’m Indian. I grew up in primarily Caucasian environments. As an adult, my day to day is spent in primarily Caucasian environments.

When I’m in a large group of Indians I always feel a bit lost because I can’t instantly differentiate between people who aren’t my nearest and dearest. Everyone has brown skin and black hair, and my default identifications are “nuances of white person” and “not white person”. I have to consciously catalogue things I can use to identify people I don’t know well in racially homogeneous non-white gatherings (and of course remember them by after they’re gone!).

And y’know what? The fact that I have more trouble distinguishing Ravikumar from Ramaswami than I do Dylan from Jason is MY problem. I don’t EVER get to use “they look the same” as an excuse for my own misrememberings.

That poor kid. Like you said @telephone89 - better they find out what sort of people their neighbours are before they buy the d*mn house.

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
From my POV the whole incident reeks of racism.

Why did the neighbors call the cops?
40 other showings and no police were called.
Then when the cops got there why did they not announce themselves?
Why didn't they run the license plates?

The neighbors thought the realtor looked like the criminal from July 24th?
Cmon, all the neighbor saw was their color. :x2

What a traumatic experience for the realtor, his client and the client's son. :(

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
That couple is an absolute embarrassment.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Sometimes neighbors like to be busybodies, but being nosy enough to call the cops on potential buyers... It sucks something like this happened, and I feel so bad for realtor and his clients.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results