shape
carat
color
clarity

This is my proposal idea, what do u think? :)

LivingLife

Rough_Rock
Hi there, I'm planning to propose to my girl friend. It's kind of hard because we have talked about this and I agreed that I would propose within this year. There is no surprises except she doesn't know when and how it's going to happen. I don't have much time left. I thought about doing it during Christmas, but then that's kind of expected if I waited that long.

In our entire life, she and I have never had a Christmas tree. So I thought this would be cool/unique. So my idea would be to buy a small Christmas tree, decorate it. I would then write a poem, and each line of the poem is on a nice piece of long strip paper. I would hang these papers in the order that it's supposed to be read on the tree like an ornament. Have some lights decorated in my room.

Then instead of proposing it on Christmas day, I would just tell her that I want to show her the Christmas tree ahead of time and I want her opinion on it. So on the day of proposal (which I'll do in November instead of its actual date), I bring her over, tell her to close her eyes, lead her to my room and I turn on the decorative lights. When she opens her eyes, she will see the Christmas tree with all the lights in the room (it'll be dark so the lights will make it more romantic?). I would then show her the poem, and read it to her.

On top of the tree would be a small present box, which she might ask is there anything in there. I would then tell her that "maybe, why don't you open it and see," or "no, it's just empty box with a piece of paper in it." She then might get curious and open it. Inside the box would be a piece of paper that says "turn around." When she turns around I would be on my knees with the engagement ring.

Well, here is the thing, I only have the loose diamond right now. It's too late to have the setting made because it would take about 6-8 weeks, especially with all the holidays coming up it might take longer. I do have the fake ring, which I use as a model for custom made. So I thought maybe I can propose with the real loose diamond (will be in a box, in the middle of a fake/real flower/chocolate). I would then use the fake ring to put it into her finger at the moment.

Do you think this is ok, should I change anything? I thought about going some where on a vacation, but I'm on a budget lol. I don't know how to cook either so, ha! It'll take me a while to come up with a poem too, maybe a Haiku or something, I'm not sure yet. English is my second language so that's even harder! I can do it in Vietnamese, but then she doesn't really know Vietnamese that much.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually love the idea of doing the poem in viet (maybe an English translation at the end). That is really sharing a part of yourself with her.

The other stuff seems so complicated though. The Christmas tree is cute, but I don't see the point in hanging up the poem if you are taking it off/reading it. To simplify your idea, I'd do something like: Have the poem w/ English translation in the box. Ask her to open the box. You can be behind her at this point, getting ready to kneel. Then she will open the box and see the poem. Then you can read the poem (kneeling, her following along w/ English translation) and present her with the diamond. Or have the diamond in a smaller box within the box? Or read the poem, then kneel and present her w/ diamond.

It sounds really lovely and thoughtful! I err on the side of simple and heartfelt, and I think this fits perfectly! Lucky gal.

LivingLife

Rough_Rock
So the plan went pretty well. I tweaked it a little bit. I told her to come and check out the decoration of the christmas tree because it's my first time ever having one. I had the lights turned off, and had the decorative lights turned on. On the tree, I hung little notes with words that described her, like "beautiful, hugable" etc. Then I told her I also have a poem (it was in English hehe). I included something funny in there that is related to nursing (since we're both RNs). I read it to her, got on my knees and so forth :). Only thing I forgot to do was to have the music playing in the background, just something soft and slow on low volume.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
congrats!

Q

Queenie60

Congratulations! Look forward to seeing the ring! :dance: :appl:

Ittybittykittykat

Shiny_Rock
Congrats! Your proposal was well planned and sounded very sweet! Come back when your ready to design the custom ring! There's plenty of great PS vendors to choose from and we all love to watch the creation of new rings.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results