shape
carat
color
clarity

this is for diamond sellers...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

69gm

Shiny_Rock
hi,

i have a local jeweler who was kind enough to let me know his actual cost on some of his diamonds (he uses rapnet.com). if those prices are true and they are indeed his cost, what would be a fair markup? i just need to know so i can factor that into the final cost to make the determination of whether or not i can afford one of his stones.

thanks in advance...

69gm

Shiny_Rock
was this a taboo question? if so, i apologize. just trying to make a good decision with the information i was provided. i almost feel like i'm being punished for something...have i done something wrong? NONE of my most recent posts have gotten a reply and i find it hard to believe that NO ONE in the forum has an opinion.

thanks for your time.

barry

Shiny_Rock
Pricing is a very sensitive issue, here, and there are no
hard "correct" answers for you. Reputable
diamond internet vendors work very hard for single digit markups, which, as the internet is becoming a
growing viable force in diamond commerce is filtering
down and strongly impacting on the brick & mortar jeweler
who has, in most cases, significantly higher expenses than the average internet vendor who does not own or stock his own goods, but is quoting you from a generic diamond list.

My advice to you is do your homework by comparing
prices for comparable "Cut" diamonds that you're intersted in. This will help you determine
your comfort and pocketbook zone.

Barry
www.superbcert.com

69gm

Shiny_Rock
thank you for your candid reply barry. btw, i've been to superbcerts site and must say i'm impressed with the information you folks provide. love the pictures too!
love.gif

only wish i could afford them...
2.gif

barry

Shiny_Rock
Appreciate your compliments on our website.

Good Luck to you.

Barry
www.superbcert.com

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
There are too many variables to deal with your question.
Suppose you have 3 diamond cutters that each turn out a 1 carat G color VS2 diamond and they all happen to be the same good cut. They factor in how much they paid for that rough, how much it cost to cut it and other costs and how much they would like to get paid for it. Three different wholesale dealers come to these three cutters and buy diamonds from them. One wholesaler buys 3 diamonds which includes the 1ct G VS2, the second buys 20 diamonds including the G and the third buys 50 diamonds including the G. They will each pay a different price for that one diamond. When each of those wholesalers puts the 1ct G VS2 in stock there is a different price paid and a different price asked. This keeps going until you the consumer gets it. Suppose again that you get offered those exact same three diamonds from the same jewelry store. They will each be a different price and the jeweler cannot honestly tell you why because he will tell you that they are his diamonds, which they probably are not. He has them on memo from the wholesalers. Do you see the problem?
The Rap sheet is a guide only.

trichrome

Shiny_Rock
Here are some hints:

if you buy average cut diamond more than Rap, you're getting ripped off.
if you buy nice Superbcert from Barry ar 5% under Rap you get
a good deal (I have nothing to do with him by the way)...
if you buy good cut for 20% off Rap you get nice deal..
if you're in the business and you can get good cut for 40-50% off Rap,
you're doing well....

so as you can see, it's not that easy.
The most important thing is that you have to know what's good and
what's wrong with the diamond you wanna buy & you use
the bad points to get the price down.

Hope this helps,

Trichrome.

69gm

Shiny_Rock
thanks to everyone that replied! *whew!*
eek.gif
didn't realize this was such a complicated question. love the illustration by dimondbob.

guess i'll have to keep hunting and use some sites and prices as general guidelines.

thanks again!
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results