shape
carat
color
clarity

This is english?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
1) The bandage was wound around the wound.
2) The farm was used to produce produce.
3) The dump was so full that it had to refuse more refuse.
4) We must polish the Polish furniture.
5) He could lead if he would get the lead out.
6) The soldier decided to desert his dessert in the desert.
7) Since there is no time like the present, he thought it was
time to present the present.
4.gif
A bass was painted on the head of the bass drum.
9) When shot at, the dove dove into the bushes.
10) I did not object to the object.
11) The insurance was invalid for the invalid.
12) There was a row among the oarsmen about how to row.
13) They were too close to the door to close it.
14) The buck does funny things when the does are present.
15) A seamstress and a sewer fell down into a sewer line.
16) To help with planting, the farmer taught his sow to sow.
17) The wind was too strong to wind the sail.
4.gif
After a number of injections my jaw got number.
19) Upon seeing the tear in the painting I shed a tear.
20) I had to subject the subject to a series of tests.

manhattan01

Rough_Rock
I've heard the english langauge is the most difficult to learn. Funny though...some of those sentences I was able to read fine...other's I had to read twice and think about them.

-spencer

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
On 9/9/2003 3:53
6.gif
2 PM manhattan01 wrote:

"I've heard the english langauge is the most difficult to learn. Funny though...some of those sentences I was able to read fine...other's I had to read twice and think about them."

I have heard this, too, about English-but there is some evidence to the contrary (from a strictly anecdotal point of view).

Firstly, the children of many immigrants from countries where one must memorize the gender of nouns (like Portuguese speakers from Brazil) refuse to speak their parents' native tongue although they hear it constantly because they find English much easier. Just imagine how much harder it would be to learn a language like German or Russian where one must memorize not only gender but case changes!

Secondly, my husband, who is a polyglot believes English to be the *easiest* language to learn.

Deborah
read.gif

manhattan01

Rough_Rock
Well...from a personal point of view, English is the easiest language to learn...I'm supposed to be able to speak chinese (mandarin) but for the life of me, I can't do it. For me, it was all memorization and I couldn't do it since asian languages are symbol based. I also took french for 4 years and that was hell...I can understand the past, present and future tenses in English, but not French. The gender part was fine though. Maintenant, je peux seulement parler anglais.

-spencer.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
On 9/11/2003 2:34:29 PM spencer wrote:

"Well...from a personal point of view, English is the easiest language to learn..."

Well, the *anecdotal* evidence is piling up!
2.gif

Deb
read.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results