shape
carat
color
clarity

This drives me crazy!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Collen Rooney plans C-section

Why do celebrities think that a c-section is a choice for child birth?? It is major surgery!!

One of her friends says:

“Both of them are so excited about the baby. But Coleen didn’t want to be worrying about whether Wayne would be there or not — so she is being super-organised and has already pencilled in the date for the operation.”

Super organised??
29.gif

meresal

Ideal_Rock
It''s annoying, but it falls back on the doctors as well. They are the ones allowing expecting mothers to consider this an elective surgery.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Very true. The doctors need a good talking to also!!

Inanna

Brilliant_Rock
A cesarean is the surest way to avoid passing STD infections to a baby...
2.gif

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I think that it''s a personal choice each expecting mother is entitled to make for herself.

My mom struggled with me during birth and ended up needing an emergency c-section...and then when she was pregnant with my sister, she opted to have a scheduled birth. My mom''s reasons were probably different than Colleen Rooneys...but still, it''s a respectable choice. Not to mention, but perhaps we don''t know the whole story...sometimes stories are "spun" to protect privacy. It probably would have gotten out that Colleen needed a c-section, but maybe instead of citing health reasons (for her protection) they spun it to look like a choice. Who knows.

The topic of child birthing methods is a hot button for a lot of people...meds vs. no meds, home vs. hospital, doctor vs. midwife....in the end, I think the most important thing is that the mother is comfortable, relaxed and ready... and I believe it''s her right to choose how she gets to that place.

Personally, as someone with no experience to speak of, I cannot pass judgement on how anyone chooses to give birth...I simply wish them well.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I completely agree with a womans right to choose for medical reasons. If its just for convenience then I don''t agree. She was as her friend quoted her ''being super organised'' meaning to avoid the date of the football game.

Why isn''t this choice offered to women whose husbands are serving in war zones with the military. Surely they should be able to have their baby while he is home? I doubt any doctor would allow a ''normal'' woman to choose to have a section just for convenience sake.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2009 11:08:28 AM
Author: Maisie
I completely agree with a womans right to choose for medical reasons. If its just for convenience then I don''t agree. She was as her friend quoted her ''being super organised'' meaning to avoid the date of the football game.

Why isn''t this choice offered to women whose husbands are serving in war zones with the military. Surely they should be able to have their baby while he is home? I doubt any doctor would allow a ''normal'' woman to choose to have a section just for convenience sake.
I think it depends on the conversation you have with your doctor and the situation at hand. Would the baby be ready to be delivered at the time the husband/partner is on leave? I think there are probably a lot of variables that go into making these sort of choices.

And, I mean, all we have is a source claiming that is the reason by the scheduled c-section...who knows really.

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Well here in Quebec, you can ask for a C-section for WHATEVER reason you want. Actually, you don''t even have to give a reason. Honestly, I don''t see a significant difference for the baby (I don''t buy into that stuff that babies that are not born by normal delivery have pyshcological issues.) I really think it is a woman''s choice. If she is willing to accept the possible complications, and the longer reccuperation time, then I think it''s fine. I believe a woman should be able to choose (without endangering her baby) the method of delivery.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2009 11:05:03 AM
Author: Italiahaircolor
I think that it''s a personal choice each expecting mother is entitled to make for herself.

My mom struggled with me during birth and ended up needing an emergency c-section...and then when she was pregnant with my sister, she opted to have a scheduled birth. My mom''s reasons were probably different than Colleen Rooneys...but still, it''s a respectable choice. Not to mention, but perhaps we don''t know the whole story...sometimes stories are ''spun'' to protect privacy. It probably would have gotten out that Colleen needed a c-section, but maybe instead of citing health reasons (for her protection) they spun it to look like a choice. Who knows.

The topic of child birthing methods is a hot button for a lot of people...meds vs. no meds, home vs. hospital, doctor vs. midwife....in the end, I think the most important thing is that the mother is comfortable, relaxed and ready... and I believe it''s her right to choose how she gets to that place.

Personally, as someone with no experience to speak of, I cannot pass judgement on how anyone chooses to give birth...I simply wish them well.

there''s a HUGE difference between your mother''s situation (VBAC) and an elective C-Section with your first child. She may have medical issues that require a section for her own health that we don''t know about...BUT if she''s having it for just the sake of a DATE as written, it''s a bit foolish in my opinion. Many women don''t realize this is major surgery and with every surgery there comes a risk. My sister is an OB/GYN and won''t perform a c-section just for a special birth date (like friday the 13th) or because the women doesn''t want her vagina to stretch (you don''t know the excuses she''s been told by patients). She will only perform then if medically necessary. I have to agree with her..not because she''s my sister but because as a person who has had major surgery...it''s no cake walk. I have metal in my spine (which meant no epidural for me) and I wasn''t given the c-section option since they figured I could give birth naturally. (I did 3 times) Glad I didn''t need another abdominal surgery...it was hard getting back to normal with my first one.

BTW you are right that it''s the mother''s choice but the mother who wants an elective section can''t get peeved if her OB doesn''t agree.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I haven''t had any children myself so don''t know how I''d feel in the same situation but at the moment I don''t think that it''s right to be able to plan one for convenience.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Italia, atroop is right - in the case of your mom, it is a question of VBAC (Vaginal Birth After Caesarian for those that aren''t familar with the term) or C-sect. To tell you how "risky" a VBAC is, ALL of the hospitals in my city refuse to do it. My only choice for a second child if I want to have it locally IS a C-section. Plenty of women have VBACs, but it seems around here, hospitals won''t pay for the liability.

IMHO, it is better for the baby to come out vaginally if it is a safe delivery. Amelia had a lot of fluid in her lungs that would have been squeezed out during a vaginal delivery. Instead she spent the next couple of days coughing and choking - which if it wasn''t too harmful for her, was VERY alarming for us as new parents!!

Ultimately, I think it''s a mom''s right to choose. But let''s face it...you are choosing what''s best for you over the baby. It could be that you have such a fear of childbirth that surgery is better, which is understandable because an hysterical woman probably isn''t the best thing for delivery. But most choose it because they don''t want to go through it, get flappy down there, are afraid of tearing, etc. Not only does a vag birth get out that fluid in a baby''s lungs, but c-sections may make breast feeding difficult, or in some cases, not possible at all. BFing IS better for the baby over formula, that is a fact.

This all coming from a formula fed gal who had a c-section and formula fed her kid (my milk did not come in).
1.gif
My C-section was fine, recover totally easy and I don''t regret it. But I DO still have sudden cramps in the area of my incison, tenderness, and a lovely "apron" that will never go away. I imagine celebrities would get that fixed though. My kid seems fine as well, but compared to all of the babies on PS who were born within a week of Amelia, she crawled significantly later, isn''t walking yet, and isn''t loving eating. Does it have something to do with it? Maybe, maybe not. Might have something to do with my age. Might have to do with the way I''m raising her. Who knows.

Finally, I think with a scheduled c-section, you miss out on all the fun wondering when your baby and body are gonna do its thing!
41.gif

soocool

Ideal_Rock
My ex-boss scheduled both her births as c-section out of convenience.

My doctor left it up to me to decide if I wanted a c-section, as we knew my daughter was a breech (actually I asked if she should have turned by that time, because her head was still up in my ribs). They tried to turn her around in the womb unsuccessfully about 1 week before I had her (immense Braxton Hicks afterwards). I am surprised, however, why he just didn''t recommend a c-section to begin with. When they delivered my daughter she was butt first. I can''t imagine being in intense labor for many hours just to get a c-section anyway and become thoroughly drained of all energy.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
If I could choose I would sign up for a c-section. I don''t think I have the choice here.

Honestly, if she (he) is paying what does it matter? The only other person she could be hurting is herself; in terms of recovery or future birth choices...

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
If we were meant to have a c-section as routine we would have been born with a sun roof in our tummy!
9.gif

Seriously though, I really am surprised that so many women would choose to have major surgery when its a natural process to give birth. I know it doesn''t always go to plan, in which case a c-section is necessary, but surely we should give birth the way nature intended if we can?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2009 2:21:14 PM
If we were meant to have a c-section as routine we would have been born with a sun roof in our tummy!
9.gif

Seriously though, I really am surprised that so many women would choose to have major surgery when its a natural process to give birth. I know it doesn''t always go to plan, in which case a c-section is necessary, but surely we should give birth the way nature intended if we can?
Weyeeelll...nature kind of intended it to be a pretty painful and exhausting experience.
39.gif
If we were to do it the way nature intended, shouldn''t we do it with no epidural?
11.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2009 2:28:18 PM
Author: TravelingGal

9.gif

Weyeeelll...nature kind of intended it to be a pretty painful and exhausting experience.
39.gif
If we were to do it the way nature intended, shouldn''t we do it with no epidural?
11.gif
I did, 3 times
23.gif

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2009 2:28:18 PM
Author: TravelingGal

9.gif

39.gif
11.gif
Yes, but I don''t follow the ''natural'' argument/POV.

If DH & I were natual we would probably be well onto our 10th baby
6.gif
. If I can choose when not to have a baby why don''t I have the right to choose how to deliver.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2009 2:07:08 PM
Author: Steel
If I could choose I would sign up for a c-section. I don't think I have the choice here.

Honestly, if she (he) is paying what does it matter? The only other person she could be hurting is herself; in terms of recovery or future birth choices...
I think that is the root of my statement... are doctors REALLY painting a CLEAR picture of how serious this surgery is?

ETA: If people talked about the severity of a c-sec like they talk about the pain of child birth, I don't think women would be running to this surgery as a second option.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
9.gif

LOL! That''s the truth!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2009 2:34:03 PM

6.gif
. If I can choose when not to have a baby why don''t I have the right to choose how to deliver.
I''m not talking about birth control. There are natural methods to do that too but thats not what I mean here. I am talking about opening your body up to give birth just because if you don''t your husband won''t be at the birth because he will be too busy playing football.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2009 2:39:30 PM

6.gif
I''m not talking about birth control. There are natural methods to do that too but thats not what I mean here. I am talking about opening your body up to give birth just because if you don''t your husband won''t be at the birth because he will be too busy playing football.
Maisie, I think we all know people have different priorities, both before AND after the baby is born. Unfortunately, you don''t have to have a license to have children.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2009 2:39:30 PM

6.gif
Neither was I. I was just making a comparison.

Which is that, medical advances have allowed couples to choose and plan when to start a family and such methods have been widely accepted. But a Mother (where I live) cannot choose how to deliver her child even though options such as a c-section would be available to her.

Why can''t I be given than choice? Why should I be judged on wanting to choose? Isn''t it as personal a decision as temping v condoms?

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t think temping or condoms can endanger your life. There is always a risk involved with having surgery, not only the anesthetic but also recovering afterwards.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My aunt was a nurse in Africa for 30 years working with the Masai & Kikuyu tribes. She said those women did not appear to feel pain when in labor because, in their cultures, it was recognized simply as a bodily function -- no scary stories were told among the women about the pains of giving birth. My aunt said that when she spoke to the women about it, they were quite nonchalant and couldn''t understand why she was even asking about pain. When they went into labor while tending their livestock or gardens, they simply dug a small depression in the ground, squatted over it to give birth, picked up the babe and went on with their work. Different strokes for different folks.
1.gif

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had to have a c-section with my first child after a very long labor (pushed for almost 4 hours) and he was just too big at 10lbs.
My OB did give me a choice between VBAC or c-section with my second, but she did say that he could be just a big as my first son and I could have the same problem all over again, so I did opt for a scheduled c-section. I was not given a choice with my third, she was a scheduled c-section.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I think it is perfectly within a woman''s right to say "my baby, my body, I want a c-section"...arguments can go either way depending on which side of the fence you fall. But I am sure this woman weighed her options heavily when it came to making a firm and final decision...after all, this is her baby and she loves it and wants whats best.

The point is, I don''t think it''s any of our place to judge a woman we don''t know for making a decision that is best for her. Maybe it isn''t what you would choose or I would choose for ourselves...but it''s her body. I feel like, if we get into debating what should be permissable, we''re going to slide down a slippery, slippery slope into women''s rights.

If c-sections were so horrible, and so damaging to babies, they wouldn''t be done. A c-section is considered a medical advancement...and sure, it''s surgery but you''re not put under and compared to having your tonsils removed it is actually the more benign of the two procedures. Sure, recovery time is rough...but as someone who had an abdominplasty which is more invasive than a c-sect, I was driving a meer three days later, it''s not the worst thing in the world.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Do insurance companies cover "elective" c-sect''s? I''ve never had a baby, don''t plan to for a few more years, but I''ve heard that it is more dangerous than natural birth. If that were the case, wouldn''t insurance companies choose not to cover them, if they are elective?

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2009 4:17:22 PM
Author: Italiahaircolor
I think it is perfectly within a woman''s right to say ''my baby, my body, I want a c-section''...arguments can go either way depending on which side of the fence you fall. But I am sure this woman weighed her options heavily when it came to making a firm and final decision...after all, this is her baby and she loves it and wants whats best.

The point is, I don''t think it''s any of our place to judge a woman we don''t know for making a decision that is best for her. Maybe it isn''t what you would choose or I would choose for ourselves...but it''s her body. I feel like, if we get into debating what should be permissable, we''re going to slide down a slippery, slippery slope into women''s rights.

If c-sections were so horrible, and so damaging to babies, they wouldn''t be done. A c-section is considered a medical advancement...and sure, it''s surgery but you''re not put under and compared to having your tonsils removed it is actually the more benign of the two procedures. Sure, recovery time is rough...but as someone who had an abdominplasty which is more invasive than a c-sect, I was driving a meer three days later, it''s not the worst thing in the world.
Great post Italia

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Its not a case of judging her as such... more just shocked and concerned that she is willing to take her baby out 2-3 weeks early just so her husband can play a football game.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I''m with Italia on the personal choice issue, and I have firmly decided that if I ever have kids (which I currently don''t plan to), it will be by elective C-section. For me, it''s an educated choice. I''ve seen plenty of both vaginal deliveries and C-sections during medical school, so I know what''s involved in both. Yes, there''s a lot more bleeding with C-sections (on average twice as much), the scar is big, the recovery period is longer, etc. What it comes down to me is vaginal tears and future risk of incontinence, dropped uterus, etc. These are associated with prolonged labor with lots of pushing. And since you can''t ever predict how long labor is going to be, I''d rather remove the risk altogether.

Now, scheduling a C-section 2-3 weeks before term is a little risky. It''s still considered full-term, but it''s not something I would do or advise any patient to do.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results