shape
carat
color
clarity

This drives me crazy!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

softly softly

Brilliant_Rock
Masie I totally agree with you it seems silly to request to deliver by c-section for the sake of convenience, but having had 2 myself (neither of which I asked for) I've learned the hard way not to judge women for their birthing choices.

I would love to have been able to deliver naturally but when I heard my son's heart-beat faltering and they told me he was going into distress it really wasn't a hard choice to make. However, this didn't prevent me from feeling a sense of disappointment in myself and my body afterward. I wasn't given a choice with my daughter as my doctor refused to do a VBAC. I would loved to have been able to give birth naturally but for me that didn't work out and I believe that by following my doctor's advice I did what was best for my babies.

Tgal you mentioned Amelia not seeming to hit some of her milestones as quickly as other babies you know of and I just wanted to say that in my experience I don't think the C-section had any impact on when my kids hit milestones such as crawling, walking, eating etc. My son was in no hurry to move - didn't crawl until 9 months, didn't walk until 21(!) months while my daughter couldn't wait and was crawling at 6 months and walking just after her first birthday. I think these things are also influenced by the child's personality.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hear women talk about c-sections after an emergency and they sound so disappointed that they couldn''t deliver naturally. I understand that in emergencies it has to be done and I thank God that these procedures can save babies and their mothers. I just don''t understand choosing one for the reasons I have already mentioned.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2009 4:20:43 PM
Author: meresal
Do insurance companies cover 'elective' c-sect's? I've never had a baby, don't plan to for a few more years, but I've heard that it is more dangerous than natural birth. If that were the case, wouldn't insurance companies choose not to cover them, if they are elective?

I've never seen an insurance company that would cover an elective one.

And as someone who technically chose to have an elective c (but it was because I was told that the risks for Baby B who was breach would go up quite a bit if I had a VB) I chose it because even though it was riskier for me-it was less risky for my child.

I think that if people are making an **educated** decision that they would prefer to have a c-section-and understand that it is major surgery and all the additional risks-let them do it. As long as they are paying out of pocket for it-who cares.

I do think it's stupid to want one for a special birthday or scheduling purposes personally...but to each their own.

And as to recovery- I know this isn't what people who are against it want to hear-but it was a total breeze. My scar is teeny (even dare I say-hard to find) and I had no problems with BFing or anything else. But not everyone is as lucky as me when it comes to recovery for sure.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I believe they will only cover it for medical necessity. For example, if someone has genital herpes and does not want to transmit it to the baby during birth, that''s a medical reason for a C-section. Or if she has a genetic disease that would put her at risk for the uterus bursting during labor (a similar danger to VBAC with the old style of C-section incisions), that would be another.

So in other words, I''ll be paying quite a bit out of pocket to save my pelvic floor muscles if it comes to that!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I do think csections are a medical advancement. No one really bats an eye anymore when you''ve labored all you can and they say, nope gonna go cut that baby out right now! I know there''s risk, but I reckon it''s pretty low.

I agree, woman''s right to choose.

SS, yeah, I don''t think it has to do with the c-section either, but ya never know!

I am fine with getting another c-section. I don''t miss the fact that I didn''t get to push her out. I''m happy my happy bits are still happy (<--that''s a lot of happy there!) I had incontinence with my pregnancy and it was NOT fun, and that has gone away. My mom struggles with it now and she had two vaginal births. But I will say one thing I will stick firm with is NOT bringing the baby out of my body too early. I know with a scheduled, you want to get it out a little earlier in case you actually go into labor before, but I do not like the idea of bringing the baby out before 39 weeks. They bake in there for a reason! Of course, I would take the doc''s advice as well, but you know what I mean.

RLG

Shiny_Rock
Is it the elective nature of the surgery that bothers you or the ability to schedule it? I think an elective c-section would have been a better option than some of the social inductions I have seen. It is worse when a women starts labor before they are ready, endures a long labor and then have c-sections for failure to progress. At least with the elective c-section you can control a number of factors. My biggest fear about having kids is to be a crash c-section for any reason.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sometimes I wonder if celebrities schedule a C section and then follow it up with some lipo and a tummy tuck...

But I agree, both vaginal and C-section come with their own set of risks, and I think it''s up to an individual and their doctor to talk over all the risks, pros, and cons of both methods to see which is best for them.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2009 7:05:01 PM
Author: RLG
Is it the elective nature of the surgery that bothers you or the ability to schedule it? I think an elective c-section would have been a better option than some of the social inductions I have seen. It is worse when a women starts labor before they are ready, endures a long labor and then have c-sections for failure to progress. At least with the elective c-section you can control a number of factors. My biggest fear about having kids is to be a crash c-section for any reason.
Its the fact that her husband puts playing football ahead of his baby so his wife has to schedule an operation to fit in with his plans.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2009 7:09:04 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade
But I agree, both vaginal and C-section come with their own set of risks, and I think it''s up to an individual and their doctor to talk over all the risks, pros, and cons of both methods to see which is best for them.

Well said. I often wonder, too, why we feel so entitled to judge celebrities (and other peoples'' in general) choices about highly personal medical issues like this. I''m certainly not exempt from this - I catch myself doing it all the time, but I tend to try to give people the benefit of the doubt, and it seems possible that there is more to this story than what made it into the press...

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2009 7:12:51 PM
Author: Maisie

Its the fact that her husband puts playing football ahead of his baby so his wife has to schedule an operation to fit in with his plans.
he''s gotta pay for that bebe somehow...
2.gif

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2009 7:12:51 PM
Author: Maisie
Date: 4/16/2009 7:05:01 PM

Author: RLG

I''d probably tell him if he wants to sleep w/his football, great, otherwise, he better be in the delivery room w/me. But, that''s just me! I like to think I''m more important, and our kids are more important.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2009 4:17:22 PM
Author: Italiahaircolor
I think it is perfectly within a woman's right to say 'my baby, my body, I want a c-section'...arguments can go either way depending on which side of the fence you fall. But I am sure this woman weighed her options heavily when it came to making a firm and final decision...after all, this is her baby and she loves it and wants whats best.

I guess I actually agree with you Italia, in that it should be a woman's right to choose... but I have to confess that I do think, like TG, that most purely elective caesarians are really about a woman's desire to 'keep herself nice' down there. Oh, and if she's a rich / celeb, why not have a tummy tuck at the same time?

I've gone drug free both times, and plan to again (false alarm last night!!) as my second child got stuck during labour, I probably could have a voluntary caesarian, but I have a few concerns.

Number one is fluid on the lungs,
number two is drugs in the baby's system and in my milk.

Number three is my bonding with the bub - although now I'm on three, I guess I have 'learned' to bond - in many ways I am much more excited about this one because I am more experienced in motherlove. Don't think there's anything scientific there, but after natural birth there is an incredible 'I climbed a mountain' feeling!!
On the other hand, maybe caesar mums are MORE loving, because they don't feel like they 'passed through the valley of death' to birth...? How would researchers isolate all the factors though???

Number four is recovery - my man is not likely to be able to help me whatsoever, in fact for both my earlier births I barely saw him while I was in hospital, because he had to work...

However my husband, being a vet, says that in many ways caesars can be safer than natural births, because less is likely to go wrong, particularly if the labour is at first allowed to initiate naturally ... that doesn't help with scheduling football games, though!

We have a very strong 'pro-natural birth' and home birth lobby group in Australia, but it turns out that private hospitals, which have a significantly higher intervention rate in labour, also have lower significant injury or death rates for mothers and / or children... nature is not always pretty...

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2009 6:13:40 PM
Author: softly softly
Tgal you mentioned Amelia not seeming to hit some of her milestones as quickly as other babies you know of and I just wanted to say that in my experience I don''t think the C-section had any impact on when my kids hit milestones such as crawling, walking, eating etc. My son was in no hurry to move - didn''t crawl until 9 months, didn''t walk until 21(!) months while my daughter couldn''t wait and was crawling at 6 months and walking just after her first birthday. I think these things are also influenced by the child''s personality.

I agree, and early milestones are absolutely no connection with later personality or success / ability, either!! Even basic things, like physical milestones, talking, or potty training!

akmiss

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/16/2009 11:02:02 AM
Author: Inanna
A cesarean is the surest way to avoid passing STD infections to a baby...
2.gif
I thought the same thing too
2.gif

but, C-sections and induction of labor should only be done if medically necessary
38.gif

Especially if this is a 1st child.... Ack, celebs...

That being said, I will be hard pressed to find a Doc that would allow me have a natural birth. My little boy suffered from a birth injury and so there is a big NO to a natural birth the next time around.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Sometimes I wonder if celebrities schedule a C section and then follow it up with some lipo and a tummy tuck...

That is actually called a c-tuck. It''s a very popular post-pregnancy procedure, but still hush-hush, like botox was 6 or 7 years ago.

lucyandroger

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/17/2009 2:17:32 PM
Author: Italiahaircolor

That is actually called a c-tuck. It''s a very popular post-pregnancy procedure, but still hush-hush, like botox was 6 or 7 years ago.
This was my first thought...

Celebrities get sooo many unnecessary surgeries nowadays that they probably don''t think anything of another one. Plus, it must be A LOT easier to recover when you have a couple nannies, a personal chef, and who knows what else to help you out.
28.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results