shape
carat
color
clarity

This Diamond For the Future Mrs. Surg?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Surg

Rough_Rock
Sight unseen, I was wondering if you all could give me your impressions of the following proportion sets. I wouldn't be able to get a look with an Idealscope unless and until it were to hit the appraiser's desk. I know some of you have good instincts regarding light return within some safe proportion sets. How's this one seem... ?

1.55 CT
ROUND BRILLIANT
H
VS2
7.58 x 7.52 x 4.49 mm
Depth 59.4%
Table 57.9%
Crown 13.5%
Pavilion 43%
Crown Angle 32.6°
Pavilion Angle 40.8°
Girdle THIN TO SL. THICK FACETED
Polish VERY GOOD
Symmetry VERY GOOD
Fluorescence FAINT BLUE
Culet N/A

On the HCA, it is a 0.8 within the TIC range.

It is EGL-USA so I'm preparing for it to be one color grade off (right?). Just wondering what your initial impressions were.

Surg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Surg,

Well my impressions are it could be a bright and brilliant diamond according to the proportions, however fire could be down a bit. You could look for one with a crown angle of around 34- 34.5 degrees with that pavilion angle and the existing proportions if you wished as that might give you more of a balance of fire and brilliance - but this is speculation only. It depends on what you want - the diamond looks promising but due to the lab report an appraisal would be best.

Surg

Rough_Rock
Thanks, Lorelei. Even after reading about fire/brilliance/scintillation, I''m still admittedly uncertain about what my preferences are regarding their balance. It probably sounds like caveman logic, but I just want a beautiful stone with minimal light leakage. Whether it''s a BIC/FIC/TIC, I''m not sure I have a strong generic preference.

Given my simpleton logic, what are the things I should be looking out for if I have this appraised? What questions should I ask? Or is it all about the Idealscope/ASET?

Surg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/15/2009 3:20:25 PM
Author: Surg
Thanks, Lorelei. Even after reading about fire/brilliance/scintillation, I'm still admittedly uncertain about what my preferences are regarding their balance. It probably sounds like caveman logic, but I just want a beautiful stone with minimal light leakage. Whether it's a BIC/FIC/TIC, I'm not sure I have a strong generic preference.

Given my simpleton logic, what are the things I should be looking out for if I have this appraised? What questions should I ask? Or is it all about the Idealscope/ASET?

Surg
Most welcome Surg!

Probably just a well cut and balanced diamond will suit your needs and give you a good mix of fire, brilliance etc. An appraiser will be able to help you evaluate the diamond - but much of it comes down to your own tastes. If you can, check out some Peerless brand from Jareds if there is one closeby, or Hearts on Fire if there is a dealer in your area. These are cut to AGS0 standards and will give you a good comparison so you can see how a well cut diamond behaves.

The following links should give you a good overview of the appraisal process. And you are asking extremely relevant questions also!

http://journal.pricescope.com/Articles/58/1/%e2%80%9cAppraise-the-Appraiser%e2%80%9d---Help-for-Consumers.aspx

https://www.pricescope.com/appraiser.asp

ASET in particular is a very useful tool if your appraiser has one in order to judge the quality of the light return. Here is a tutorial which will explain ASET, Idealscope, their usage and benefits.

http://www.highperformancediamonds.com/index.php?page=education-performance

Surg

Rough_Rock
All,

Any gut feelings on the dimensions of this one? It''s priced low enough where I suspect something is rotten in Denmark. Part of it is perhaps the fluorescence paired with an F in color.

1.50 CARAT
ROUND BRILLIANT
F
SI1
7.34 x 7.3 x 4.55 mm
Depth 62.2%
Table 56%
Crown 16%
Pavilion 42.8%
Crown Angle 36°
Pavilion Angle 40.6°
THIN FACETED
Polish VERY GOOD
Symmetry VERY GOOD
Fluorescence FAINT BLUE
Culet NONE

HCA = 1.8 FIC

Surg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Surg,

This is one that definitely needs an Idealscope or ASET image, have you seen it in person or is it online? What is the type of grading report and the price please? It looks to be facing up a little small for the weight.

Surg

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/27/2009 11:58:49 AM
Author: Lorelei
Hi Surg,

This is one that definitely needs an Idealscope or ASET image, have you seen it in person or is it online? What is the type of grading report and the price please? It looks to be facing up a little small for the weight.

It's an EGL-USA online for $5800. I am reluctant to consider it. What are your thoughts?

Surg

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
It looks to be facing up a little small for the weight.

Err, that is because it is an FIC, it will look small.

Maybe a non-eye-clean SI1?

Which lab graded this stone? A VG in Symm and Polish could also push down the price.

Surg

Rough_Rock
EGL-USA, Stonecold. Which I understand has mixed feelings around these parts although clearly a better reputation than other flavors of EGL.

Surg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/27/2009 12:06:51 PM
Author: Stone-cold11

It looks to be facing up a little small for the weight.

Err, that is because it is an FIC, it will look small.

Maybe a non-eye-clean SI1?

Which lab graded this stone? A VG in Symm and Polish could also push down the price.
Err, thank you for pointing that out, I am well aware that sometimes FIC's can look small for the weight.
20.gif

Surg

Rough_Rock
Regarding eye-cleanliness... the notes had this to say... "WEAK SI1 IDEAL + CERT"

I''m not certain what that means or its significance. Presumably "weak SI1" means "betwixt SI1 and VS2"?

Surg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/27/2009 12:17:03 PM
Regarding eye-cleanliness... the notes had this to say... ''WEAK SI1 IDEAL + CERT''

I''m not certain what that means or its significance. Presumably ''weak SI1'' means ''betwixt SI1 and VS2''?

Surg
Possibly, you would need to ask the vendor if this is their description and if so if the diamond is eyeclean to your standards or not, what this actually means is anyone''s guess really.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/27/2009 12:05:59 PM

Hi Surg,

It''s an EGL-USA online for $5800. I am reluctant to consider it. What are your thoughts?

Surg
Is the diamond with USA Certed diamonds? Just curious. The best thing to do with EGL graded diamonds is to make the sale final on it checking out with an independant appraisal, then if it checks out well and good.

Surg

Rough_Rock
So, if the claim is that it''s eye-clean, this might be "diamond-in-the-rough" enough to have a look at, in your opinions?

Surg

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Regarding eye-cleanliness... the notes had this to say... ''WEAK SI1 IDEAL + CERT''
I''m not certain what that means or its significance. Presumably ''weak SI1'' means ''betwixt SI1 and VS2''?
Surg
I would guess tending towards SI2. Eye-cleanliness, only the vendor can tell you if it is or not, assuming he is trustworthy and not trying to push to you the stone.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/27/2009 12:22:44 PM
So, if the claim is that it's eye-clean, this might be 'diamond-in-the-rough' enough to have a look at, in your opinions?

Surg
It might be worth looking at, can you get an Idealscope image for the diamond please? If that checks out and you are ok with getting an appraisal and the vendor has a return policy that allows you to do so, then it might be worth consideration if you want a large diamond on a budget.

Make sure to let the vendor know exactly what your expectations are concerning the ' eyecleanliness' of this diamond. For example, if you don't want to see any visible inclusions from any angle at close scrutiny then make sure you let them know that. If it is with one of the PS vendors then they should be used to dealing with this and should be honest with you if you make your preferences known.

Surg

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/27/2009 12:23:10 PM

Surg

I would guess tending towards SI2. Eye-cleanliness, only the vendor can tell you if it is or not, assuming he is trustworthy and not trying to push to you the stone.

It is indeed USA CERTED. I am a cautious and suspicious person by nature, but I hope they will be frank with me. I am planning on having it appraised as well.

Surg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/27/2009 12:32:20 PM

Date: 4/27/2009 12:23:10 PM

Surg

It is indeed USA CERTED. I am a cautious and suspicious person by nature, but I hope they will be frank with me. I am planning on having it appraised as well.

Surg
Martin at USA Certed has a good rep, explain to him you want to be very sure concerning the '' eyecleanliness'' of this diamond and he will be able to describe it as accurately as he can. The appraisal is a prudent move also to make sure the diamond checks out. Can you ask Martin if he can provide an Idealscope or ASET image Surg? I would be interested to know if he can or not.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good Luck then. :)

Surg

Rough_Rock
Of course, being a drop-shipper, I don't think I can expect any Idealscope/ASET data until it would be formally appraised, but I will find out.

This is a stone that is significantly below my budget. I think there's too much that can go wrong with this stone to make it worth the time and energy of having it shipped and appraised if I can just find one with more sound specs closer to my budget sweet spot.

That said, I will do my due diligence before scrapping this one forever.

Surg

Surg

Rough_Rock
Once again, thanks to all.

Surg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/27/2009 12:37:02 PM
Of course, being a drop-shipper, I don''t think I can expect any Idealscope/ASET data until it would be formally appraised, but I will find out.

This is a stone that is significantly below my budget. I think there''s too much that can go wrong with this stone to make it worth the time and energy of having it shipped and appraised if I can just find one with more sound specs closer to my budget sweet spot.

That said, I will do my due diligence before scrapping this one forever.

Surg
No worries Surg, you are going to end up with a great diamond with all the work you are putting in! Let us know if you would like any suggestions for diamonds which might suit you if you would like some help in that way!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/27/2009 12:39:24 PM
Once again, thanks to all.

Surg
As always, its my pleasure Surg!

Surg

Rough_Rock
Will do, Lorelei.

To be continued... :)

Surg

Rough_Rock
As a follow-up, the previously listed stone was indeed a clear SI2.

I was hoping you all could comment on this one...

1.51 CARAT
ROUND BRILLIANT
H
SI1
7.33 x 7.29 x 4.48 mm
Depth 61.3%
Table 56%
Crown 15%
Pavilion 42.5%
Crown Angle 34.8°
Pavilion Angle 40.4°
Girdle MEDIUM FACETED
Polish VERY GOOD
Symmetry VERY GOOD
Fluorescence FAINT
Culet NONE

HCA = 0.6

Happy Wednesday,
Surg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results