shape
carat
color
clarity

Thinking of selling one of my larger rose cut rings

MyDiamondSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone,

I keep tossing around the idea of selling one of my larger rose cut rings and I'd love to have your expert opinions. Although I do love it I just don't wear it as much as my other rings. The rose cut ring is a solitaire, 8.5mm x 7.5mm--so kind of a roval so to speak. It is in it's original foil backed, rose gold looking although it tests at 14k, mid 1800's setting--no markings stamped on the ring. The diamond was sold to me as a J, but honestly due to the foil backing it is hard to tell exactly what color it is. Clarity looks eye clean but once louped one with good eyesight and the right tilt on the diamond will be able to spot what I assume is a feather. That being said I think the diamond and ring are very pretty. Obviously if someone is a clarity freak this would not be the ring for them, its more for those who enjoy a true antique and it's flaws. And I do not have a GIA gemologist report on the diamond--not really interested in taking the time to do so either as my schedule is crazy right now.

JBEG sold a ring almost identical to mine just a few months ago, although I personally like the shape of my diamond better--mine seems to be a little less wonky in the shape department. Here's the link to the one like mine: http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/SOLD-ITEMS-1/150ct-est-Antique-Rose-Cut/17832024_zTmwcz#!i=1363304530&k=4r3jkpr

I'm unsure what JBEG sold the ring for but if memory serves me correctly im thinking they were asking $3k and it sold very, very quickly.

I will try to post a few photos of the ring later this week, but I'm not sure what forum to post those in.

I'd love your expert opinions on the following:

How much should I ask for the ring? You can't hurt my feelings here, just give me your best price opinion for a quick sale. If it takes more time to sell I know I will change my mind and end up keeping it. :wink2:
Should I phone JBEG and let them handle the sale? Or try DB knowing I have never sold anything like this before and my shedule is crazy.
And finally given the mmxmm dimensions, how large doesvthis diamond face up--just a guestimate, mind you.

MyDiamondSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry I tried to edit my previous post for typos and this darned iPad won't cooperate...also wanted to say thanks in advance.

Im also trying to take a deep breath here as I've been apprehensive in asking for help with this ring, but honestly you all are so knowledgeable i know I'm in good hands. I'm kind of nervous about all of what is involved in selling this ring, I'd rather just stick the ring box in a drawer and pretend it isn't there. I know, how shameful--this ring really needs someone to enjoy and love it. :wink2:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
From the sounds of it you should let a professional help you, like JBEG. I would only suggest a private sale if you have the time to provide buyers with the information they need to be confident about a larger purchase like this, as well as the time to do some market research to detemrine fair market value. It is an unusual item, I don't think anyone here can help you price it based only on what you have said, and it might also be hard to find a buyer privately without a lot more information that you are able to give at present.

briolette

Shiny_Rock
Could you post some photos of your actual ring? I personally am interested in buying a large rose cut diamond ring in the future. I'm sure there are others who are too. I do think taking it to a gemologist at least in town to get an appraisal would be a good investment because you'll know what to sell the item for.

MyDiamondSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
I am hoping both of you who replied to my post got my message. I'm going to delete the message now. :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results