shape
carat
color
clarity

Thinking about upgrading..

CalmerPalmer

Rough_Rock
Hey guys,

So a couple of years in I'm thinking about the possibility of an upgrade. Hubby is not against it but the one available stone is over budget currently. Before I try to make a case for it, I just wanted to run the aset over by you guys (it is unfortunately not back lit) and see if it's worth making a case for? Some of you might be able to tell which one it is just from the aset but I'm reluctant to post the full link now. For people who know which one it is (special shout out to Gypsy!), please let me know if you think it is over priced as it certainly is way more expensive than what looks to be the typical range given the size / color / clarity combo (even if the cut is great)..?

Thanks a lot!!

_4098.jpeg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The image looks fine. If it is the stone I think it is, I don't really see that it is overpriced. It's just a higher color with a small premium for the cut, I imagine.

CalmerPalmer

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your kind feedback diamondseeker! I guess when I compare the spread of this particular stone with the branded cut, for example I'm sure you know there is a 3.5+ AVC that is really only a bit smaller faced up in comparison and, yes this one is higher color (slightly only though), but the differential is significant. I just feel like in this case the premium is more attributable to the actual weight but not the face up size.. But you think it is fairly priced given what it is?

I know it's tough to find something in this size range so I can't exactly be picky, but the option is to maybe do this now if this stone actually has an excellent cut and is appropriately priced, or if not then wait for something else to come along. Does that make much sense..?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I see what you are saying now. I just wouldn't personally pay for that high a color even though I really like that stone. You could have an H or I color cushion custom cut or either take the AVC. AVCs are cut to have a better spread than this particular type. I love the look of it, but I would not pay for that color because I color is white in an antique cushion, and I really would not personally want to pay for more than H color. Wintotty here had a beautiful D color AVC that was one of the prettiest cut cushions I have seen, but the high color actually bothered her in an antique stone. She eventually changed to a 4+ ct. K, I believe. I think my sweet spot for antique stones in an e-ring is H-J. You are paying a LOT extra to have that high a color.

That said, I love your current ring!!! (And perhaps you are able to upgrade with that vendor? Have they checked to see if that cutter has other stones?)

CalmerPalmer

Rough_Rock
Thank you DS!! I really like my current ring as well and couldn't really change anything other than the size :-p when I bought it I sort of knew already that I might want something bigger down the road but was in love the the look of the stone.

Yes I am only able to upgrade through my original vendor but I think it's not restricted to just their inventory (of course that means not exactly AVCs though). I understand what you are saying re. color but I'm quite sensitive and would prefer the main ring to be of a higher color, also so that it may hold its value better through the years and I can pass it on to my daughter. Having said that, I think I'm ok going down to an H but I'm having trouble finding something in the G - H at least VS2 in the 4.5 - 5 range - I guess that's restricting to parameters too much in that size range?

I do see one using the pricescope search that is a 5ct H cushion but it didn't have any pictures and I'm not sure who the vendor is or whether it's already owned by a shop.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's gorgeous from the ASET.

Can you get it in person and see what you feel about it?

CalmerPalmer

Rough_Rock
Thanks Gypsy! So you don't think there is too much leakage based on the aset? I can't tell without the white background..

I will need to figure out if I could order it to take a look in person because the official upgrade policy says no returns on upgrades. Also, it would require a lot of cash payment upfront (maybe too much but I'll need to check with hubby, which I would rather not bother with unless I'm pretty confident about the stone ;-) ).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results