shape
carat
color
clarity

Thickest, Gloopiest Cream for Dry Elbows?

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Funny topic, but I have horribly dry elbows - really gray like an elephant - and when I apply cream the skin turns from gray to dark patches right on the elbow points. I don't care about the dark skin but I can't seem to keep my elbows moisturized at all, and the skin is really dry.

Can anyone recommend a seriously thick, deeply moisturizing cream?

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
My daughter's derm suggested Crisco for her skin issues. Maybe you should give it a try!

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Vaseline jelly (as opposed to moisturizing lotion which is much more expensive).

When my daughter was young her feet would get very dry. The doctor said to do the following at night. It worked.

Coat the bottom of the feet (the problem area) with Vaseline, put on a plastic bag, put a sock over that, to hold the bag in place.

The plastic bag prevents the Vaseline from getting wiped off onto the bed sheets.

You'd have to improvise if you want to do something similar at night.

Similar to Tacori E-ring's suggestion of Crisco, but I think the Vaseline is less expensive (you can probably buy it at the Dollar Store).

purplesparklies

Brilliant_Rock
I would try coconut oil. It works very well for painfully dry and cracking hands.

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry, this is kinda gross.... but you might try nipple cream. Lansinoh HPA gets rave reviews and I know lots of people use it for dry, cracked skin elsewhere on the body. I'm planning to order a tube myself.

Q

Queenie60

I would try a daily light exfoliation until the skin flakes away. Maybe a light exfoliating brush or sponge. This is how I get rid of the dry skin on my elbows. I do it while in the shower. Then moisturize after you towel dry, while the skin is still moist and damp.

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream, it is wonderful & does the trick for my husband who also has dry elbows. I use it religiously every night on my hands and elbows. Good luck!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would do something to exfoliate first..a scrub of some sort maybe-that might be why the skin is darker? and then slather Vaseline on before bed. My hands crack every winter-we wash our hands non stop at preschool, and if I'm not washing my own, I'm helping one of the kids. it gets so bad I can hardly bend my fingers, so after I wash my face at night, right before I go to bed I smear Vaseline on. I used to do my whole body at night before bed, during the winter and it kept my skin so nice-I'd go from collar bone down to my feet, put on sweats and thick socks and snuggle in under the covers. My husband uses cornhuskers when his hands crack.

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
I forgot to add that for the darker skin, you can rub spent lemon halves on them. The residual lemon juice should brighten the skin.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much, everyone!

Nipple cream and Crisco, haahaaaa!

Blingbunny, I read about the lemon juice but I'm assuming it takes dedication because you'd have to do it for months, or many weeks?

I have no idea why simply dryness can make skin go dark - it's odd, because before moisturizer the skin is really gray and scaly, and afterwards it's temporarily moisturized but goes dark brown, many shades darker than my skin. When I get dryness elsewhere, my skin doesn't develop dark patches.

Aren't elbows weird! :loopy:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pick your favorite oil or whatever is in your pantry :lol: mix in some sea salt, and a few drops of your favorite essential,oils if you want. mix it up and slather on in the shower. Exfoliating will let whatever moisturizer you put on afterwards penetrate better. Also, a humidifier is my best friend in the winter!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My elbows are the same!
I get mad my husband is a burly man and his elbows are like a baby's butt!

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
I don't know how long the lemon juice would take, but most sources I've seen say 1-2 weeks if you do it regularly. I would do a combo of what folks above have suggested:

1. Exfoliate with a homemade scrub made of oil+sugar. I like coconut oil + sugar. Smells great!
2. After you exfoliate, rinse, pat dry, and then rub excess oil into skin.
3. Then, massage the lanolin cream into both elbows. I wonder if you could wrap in saran wrap or fabric to hold in heat overnight?
4. When you find yourself using lemons in the kitchen, take the halves and pop your elbows into them for 10-15 mins.

I have terribly dry legs and lips this winter, thus the lanolin cream thing. :cheeky: I came across the tip on a well known beauty blog.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, thanks BB! I'll try it.

Niel - that is annoying indeed!

Sorry for not replying more - so tired, off to bed, and busy all tomorrow and tomorrow eve xxxxxx

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Pinto!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you tried Gold Bond Healing formula? It has worked wonders for my dry feet. I'm assuming it would work well for elbows too.

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
Ditto the Lansinoh. That stuff is amazing for dry cracked skin, chapped faces, etc.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My dry elbow (just one of them) tuned out to be psoriasis. I also have a tiny bit on my scalp, which is how I figured it out. Fortunately it doesn't flare up too often now that I've retired. Just something to consider. Anyhow, I also like the Gold Bond cream for a combination of moisturizing and soothing.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kiehl's creme de corps after my shower. I bite the bullet and spend the money. Its my go to in the winter because nothing else keeps my skin from being ashy (and y'all, I got some ash!! LOL) This stuff sinks in, and unlike the cocoa butter, I can put it on and go. The cocoa butter has to have a bit of time to sink in.

Castor oil (seriously it works) For that matter Lanolin does the same, and does it for DAYS on end! but its kinda goopy, you have to do it on freshly washed and dried skin for best results. It works better on feet, especially for bedtime (must wear socks!!!)

Amlactin 12% (if you have sensitive skin, its probably not a good idea) Its an exfoliant type lotion, works for people who have KP as well. wasn't thick enough for me.

Coco butter. particularly Palmers in the canister (don't get the lotion it won't do much for super dry skin like you have) they also have a shea butter. that works too. It does ok, I use about 2 hours before bed, keeps me ash free until morning. (makes me smell good too but hmm...yeah...lol)

I lol'd at crisco. but hey I used it as a kid because we were poor...sometimes you do what must be done right???

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Bepanthen, I use it for tattoos that are healing. Is pretty thick stuff

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like The Body Shop's Hemp hand protector and Elisabeth Arden 8 hour cream :)

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When elbow skin is thick and dark, you need a lotion with alpha hydroxy acid or glycolic acid. Unless it is cracked and bleeding, then you need to heal the skin first.

Aqua glycolic body lotion has the highest concentration of glycolic acid that I could find OTC at 14% for a reasonable price $18.99. I love it because it is so gentle. I have rather sensitive skin and it doesn't burn at all. Other lotions with less glycolic have.

Anyway, the acid will slough off the dead skin on your elbows. Read the reviews on amazon. My elbows are super soft and feel no different than the rest of my skin.

If you want to get really crazy, buy a Salux exfoliating body towel. I LOVE these things. They last forever. I machine wash mine. You can scrub your entire body with it. Because it is long, you can get your back by stretching it across and moving it back and forth like you do when you dry yourself with a towel. But, you can use this to scrub your elbows too. It was recommended that I use it every day.

eta: I accidentally linked you to the non-prime version of the lotion. If you want to order it and you have prime, you can find it with free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...lotion&qid=1457101266&ref_=sr_1_1_a_it&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/SALUX-Nylon-J...ie=UTF8&qid=1457101420&sr=8-13&keywords=Salux

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You laugh about the nipple cream, but don't knock it til you've tried it!

You could use good old olive oil. I put it on my cuticles and it works wonders.

My other go-to is Tree Hut Shea Body Butter. I have dry skin no matter how much I hydrate, and it's the only thing thick enough for me to stay moisturized all day. Another good one is Aveeno baby lotion with natural colloidal oatmeal. It's very soothing and works as well for adults as it does for babies. I actually use it on my face every day because I am prone to breakouts. I haven't had any for the past 6 months since I started using it on my face!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jambalaya|1457055301|3999381 said:
Funny topic, but I have horribly dry elbows - really gray like an elephant - and when I apply cream the skin turns from gray to dark patches right on the elbow points. I don't care about the dark skin but I can't seem to keep my elbows moisturized at all, and the skin is really dry.

Can anyone recommend a seriously thick, deeply moisturizing cream?
What I often do is use a pumice stone in the shower--towards the end--and then wash my body, and then use that Nivea in shower body lotion (I often rewash my back and chest and hands so I don't get zits there), then wash my face. Right out of the shower, I put on my Vitamin C serum (One Love Organics) and whatever is left on my hands I wipe on my elbows. I do that basically with all of my creams usually. That has made a HUGE difference. I will also put on Honest.com's healing ointment or Vaseline as a last step on my elbows at night so that it seals it all in. Doing all of those steps has made a difference.

I think I do the pumice 2x a week. Prior to doing that, my elbows were so dry and craggy you could cut someone. Esp my left one.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much for everyone's thoughtful replies. I do appreciate it so much.

I exfoliated with some body scrub I already had by Fat Girl Slim. I looked in a few local stores and bought a couple of creams that came in small trial sizes. I got Aquaphor Healing Ointment but didn't like it much as it didn't sink in. It sat on the surface like an oil slick. Then I was very excited to see that Amlactin cream also came in a trial size, the one for severely dry skin. It seems to be working very well on my elbows! It doesn't smell very nice, but I'm pleased with the results so far.

Ame - elbows that could cut someone! Haahaa! Me too. It was as if someone had cut patches of mid-gray elephant skin and stuck each patch on my elbows - horrible!

Thanks again! I'm really pleased with the Amlactin cream.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would second trying coconut oil, good for so many things inside and out. I have been meaning (but forgetting) to try it on my "winter" heels. I'm sure, when left untreated, they could put your elbows to shame. :sick:

This stuff, hands down (no pun intended lol) can make horribly dry, cracked, scaly heels smooth as a baby's bum. And I even tried it once without exfoliating and it worked just as good. Amazing stuff. Sold at Walgreen's, and CVS, Amazon among other places.

http://www.okeeffescompany.com/working-hands?&gclid=CNKwh4qTscsCFdgHgQod9xMEeQ

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the suggestions, Ellen!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results