shape
carat
color
clarity

There are 3 vaccines, and counting, will they compete in the market?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is only one vaccine to be available, or as many as meet criteria?
Will there be free market competition in the marketplace?

How does this work?
Who decides this?

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Is only one vaccine to be available, or as many as meet criteria?

How does this work?
Who decides this?

I believe governments have put in orders as a whole. Once in country, the triage system takes effect (to be announced).

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I saw on the news last night about the British lady who made one of the vacines that it would be sold more cheapy to developing nations

i think this is very important and im ok with my tax dollars buying vacine for our tiny and vaunarable Pacific neighbours

Who is going to pay for Africa ?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
... Who is going to pay for Africa?

Screen Shot 2020-11-24 at 2.21.42 PM.png

IMO some international org like the UN or WHO should buy 8 billion doses of the best vaccine.
One contract with the best patent holder.
All qualified manufacturers worldwide should help to make the 8 billion doses ASAP.

It should be paid for by all countries on a sliding scale.
Richer countries pay more.
Poorer countries pay less.
Why? Because this is unique, every person in every country is equally threatened by OTHER PEOPLE getting Covid.

Usually rich countries get more good stuff, and the hell with the poor countries.
But a worldwide pandemic is different; any country left unvaccinated means the virus gains strength to threaten the rest of the world.

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
IMO some international org like the UN or WHO should buy 7.8 billion doses of the best vaccine.
One contract with one manufacturer.
All other qualified manufacturers worldwide should be forced to subcontract to help make the 7.9 billion doses ASAP.

Rich countries pay more.
Poor countries pay less.
Why? Because this is unique, every person in every country is equally threatened by OTHER PEOPLE getting Covid.

Usually rich countries get more good stuff and they say, Ah the hell with the poor countries.
But a worldwide pandemic is different; any country left unvaccinated means the virus gains strength to threaten the rest of the world.

Yes i agree Kenny
It has to be a global solution to keep all mankind safe

i read last night Indonesia has 1/2 million cases of covid
the US and UK plus 'Oz make up most of our international covid news - for the most part i have no idea how Africa and South/ Central America are doing

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
I saw on the news last night about the British lady who made one of the vacines that it would be sold more cheapy to developing nations

i think this is very important and im ok with my tax dollars buying vacine for our tiny and vaunarable Pacific neighbours

I *think* the Astra zenica one will be free in perpetuity for certain countries and that if will be sold at cost (($5)) for everyone else until the pandemic is over. In the UK the gov has bought millions of doses (of different vaccines) they will be available for free on NHS but you won't be able to choose which one you get.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I *think* the Astra zenica one will be free in perpetuity for certain countries and that if will be sold at cost (($5)) for everyone else until the pandemic is over. In the UK the gov has bought millions of doses (of different vaccines) they will be available for free on NHS but you won't be able to choose which one you get.

Im pretty sure in the last couple of days our govt has ordered some more (different from the first) vacines, enough for everyone, but things won't get back to 'nornal' till all the world is vaccinated
I wonder how they plan to roll out the vacine - not so much as the order of who goes first but how will we get it

The nurses at the GP clinics are going to be swamped
Will a nurse come to schools ?
Will we just go to the chemist ? (And swamp the chemist shops)

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perhaps the world's riches people ...

Jeff Bezos @ $190 B
Bill Gates @ $120 B
Mark Zucherberg @ $100 B
Warren Buggett @ $77 B
and our own Dancing Fire @ $73B
... might foot the bill.

Hey, wait ... why are they all men? :angryfire:

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium

There will not be a menu to pick and choose; we will all struggle to get our hands on any of them.

Global and even national (i.e., US) coverage will be a patchwork of products and payors. Despite what you may have heard, this effort has been driven by the private sector -- although that may change now.

And Bill Gates does personally foot the bill for a lot of global health initiatives. You can take him off that list =)2

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know someone (a very nice person) who is so anti some of those names on that list - he's convinced Bill Gates is trying to sterilize the 3rd world through vacines

Reactions: Kya

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know someone (a very nice person) who is so anti some of those names on that list - he's convinced Bill Gates is trying to sterilize the 3rd world through vacines

You need smarter friends. Or at least less-gullible ones who own a TV with more than one channel. My friends are funded by the Gates Foundation to design and test novel drugs against new and drug-resistant parasites that attack humans. If your friend knew anything about how Gates Foundation research funding was competed for, vetted, disbursed, tracked, and acknowledged in international publications, they'd know there is no secrecy.

Thanks to people like this friend, warlords in the DRC kill international relief workers trying to distribute vaccines and education about Ebola.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, I'm well aware of Gates' saintly generosity.

Reactions: Kya

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
You need smarter friends. Or at least less-gullible ones who own a TV with more than one channel. My friends are funded by the Gates Foundation to design and test novel drugs against new and drug-resistant parasites that attack humans. If your friend knew anything about how Gates Foundation research funding was competed for, vetted, disbursed, tracked, and acknowledged in international publications, they'd know there is no secrecy.

Thanks to people like this friend, warlords in the DRC kill international relief workers trying to distribute vaccines and education about Ebola.

I know
but my freind is still my freind
He has asburgers and i read recently people on the spectrum are more prone to conspiracy theories
He has paralyzing anxiety and depression
I can't abandon him

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I googled around a bit but didn't see anything about how the three vaccines will be allocated. Hopefully all of them will be used at once with as many units as possible, as quickly as possible. It's such an enormous task...

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Agreed -- sorry. You're a good person. And maybe his bridge to reality.

Yes, thank you =)2
It is very frustrating
I've told him a million times to stop worrying about the vacine being mandatory and that im happy tp be part of the herd
the internet is full of people spreading terrible false info, i dont know why someone would beleave one wacho on the internet compaired to 10 - 100 mainstream media outlets
i make a point of getting my news from mainstream media from across the political spectrum (fox news to the guardian :mrgreen2:) and i stay clear of opinion pieces
Im not a Bill Gates fan but i also in no way beleave he is doing any harm whatsoever providing medicine to developing nations
Its weird because my freind is a huge germopbobe - but doesn't beleave covid 19 is killing all these people
he used to be beyond paranoid with other people's germs and gloves and masks but now says they are unnecessary for covid 19
he's fixated on it (global covid conspiracy) and its doing his head in
He has kidney stones and wont go to the hospital because he doesn't want the covid test

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock

The countries are separated into several categories of cost assistance at this time ranging from being able to pay full cost to having extensive assistance. I have more experience from the US perspective but it’s a common approach. It’s still in progress but there will be significant humanitarian aid invested in sure both public and private. The vaccine approvals have to be for the country where It was developed and then for international distribution. There are also different production models (lower, medium or max) that will have to be decided to see how much can be produced. It’s going to take some time to figure out distribution because the leading candidates are all two shot series and can’t be intermixed (like get brand A then brand B a Month later) and have to be stored/transported at varying low temps. And bringing it to room temp is complicated as well and it has to be used within a short window. A lot of international aid right now is supporting vaccine program infrastructure and supplies as opposed to the vaccine itself (refrigeration, coolers for transport, syringes, computer systems to track immunizations, etc). It’s going to be a big challenge in lower resource regions. But there are lots of people dedicated to this!!! I am a doc and work in global health and regional disaster response coordination for central/South America.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perhaps the world's riches people ...

Jeff Bezos @ $190 B
Bill Gates @ $120 B
Mark Zucherberg @ $100 B
Warren Buggett @ $77 B

and our own Dancing Fire @ $73B
... might foot the bill.

Hey, wait ... why are they all men? :angryfire:
All RICH liberals... :clap:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last edited:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All? :eek-2:
So DF, you've left the dark side; you've crossed the aisle?

Welcome, my friend.:dance:
Yes when I have more $$$ than Bezos....:dance:

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
There will not be a menu to pick and choose; we will all struggle to get our hands on any of them.

Global and even national (i.e., US) coverage will be a patchwork of products and payors. Despite what you may have heard, this effort has been driven by the private sector -- although that may change now.

And Bill Gates does personally foot the bill for a lot of global health initiatives. You can take him off that list =)2

Unrelated, but I don’t get all of the Bill Gates hate that we see coming from some arenas. He has put a significant amount of money behind vaccine research.

His foundation also does a lot of work towards supplying clean water. There were annual design competitions when I was in engineering school in areas like sanitation and off-grid water capture.

Maybe he could do more, but at least he’s doing something.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Tartansparkles I do know people who have been able to chose which vaccine they’ve had here in England. Perhaps it depends which area you’re living in. Our local centre was giving AZ and Pfizer.

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks @Austina, my parents had Pfizer and a few months later myself and DH had AZ but Pfizer was also being given at the same time at the vaccination centre. I think supplies of Pfizer had been made available first and then they were trying to give people the same vaccine for both doses. But you're right, I think if a person made a case of wanting one vaccine over another I think the medical staff would have accommodated that request.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Still waiting here in NZ
and no choice
Its the Pfizer one

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Still waiting here in NZ
and no choice
Its the Pfizer one
That stinks that your still waiting.
In my opinion Pfizer still has the best combination of protection and effectiveness out of all of them so far available. Moderna is probably just as effective but higher side effects in a higher percentage of people.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Screen Shot 2020-11-24 at 2.21.42 PM.png

IMO some international org like the UN or WHO should buy 8 billion doses of the best vaccine.
One contract with the best patent holder.
All qualified manufacturers worldwide should help to make the 8 billion doses ASAP.

Richer countries pay more.
Poorer countries pay less.

Usually rich countries get more good stuff, and the hell with the poor countries.

You're opinionated in a misguided kind of way. There is no such thing as a best vaccine. What's best for one individual, is not best for another.

Not to mention, the more effective mRNA vaccines need to be refrigerated/frozen at below-zero degrees Celsius temperatures. They'll go ineffective real fast if given to developing nations without the capability to store and distribute them as needed.

Simplistic thinking to suppose there is such a thing as a best vaccine, and to suppose you can just order 8 billion or 16 billion dollars. Diversification is needed because it will take too long even for a big pharma like Pfizer to produce enough for every person on the Earth. Say it takes 3 years? In that case, insisting that they are only given the best or nothing at all, you are asking for variants to emerge. Armchair idealists totally out of touch with reality cannot make the world better.

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You're opinionated in a misguided kind of way. There is no such thing as a best vaccine. What's best for one individual, is not best for another.

Not to mention, the more effective mRNA vaccines need to be refrigerated/frozen at below-zero degrees Celsius temperatures. They'll go ineffective real fast if given to developing nations without the capability to store and distribute them as needed.

Simplistic thinking to suppose there is such a thing as a best vaccine, and to suppose you can just order 8 billion or 16 billion dollars. Diversification is needed because it will take too long even for a big pharma like Pfizer to produce enough for every person on the Earth. Say it takes 3 years? In that case, insisting that they are only given the best or nothing at all, you are asking for variants to emerge. Armchair idealists totally out of touch with reality cannot make the world better.

I completely agree. Also, I think governments are trying to diversify and spread risk a little, both in terms of manufacturing risk and also health risk. If different vaccines have varying efficacies against possible variants (because they’ve been engineered slightly differently), it makes sense to me to diversify risk. The best possible vaccine in this particular moment may not be the best possible vaccine against a future lambda variant (fingers crossed we don’t get there…). Using a mix of vaccines across a population might help to mitigate issues with future variants to the greatest extent possible? Im sure I read that Pfizer is slightly less effective comparatively against the delta variant, for instance.

It’s back to Darwin - variety generally enables better robustness. A population protected in slightly varying ways seems a better bet to me than a population with identical protection - that’s just asking for trouble.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
That stinks that your still waiting.
In my opinion Pfizer still has the best combination of protection and effectiveness out of all of them so far available. Moderna is probably just as effective but higher side effects in a higher percentage of people.

My Gary is 68 and has risk factors
He is supposed to be in group 3 (i am group 4 which i think is basically every one else) the wait is redicoulss but not all boarder workers are yet vacinated and they are group one
old people in rest homes are also all not vacinated
How is NZ ever going to open up to the world?
No off us reminded waiting initially because other counties like yours were in desperate need
but ... well political discussion is banned here on PS so let's just leave it as i have never had any faith in the present govt

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results