shape
carat
color
clarity

"The Women" anyone seen it?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

westjenn

Brilliant_Rock
I''m wondering if anyone saw the Meg Ryan movie "The Women" that just came out on video? If so, what''d you think of it?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I haven''t seen it because it''s suppose to be terrible. The newspaper gave it a bad review and it only has 2 out of 5 stars on Netflix. Also (and I know this is a bit mean) but Meg use to be so cute and now it pains me to see her after her plastic surgery and I haven''t seen any movies of her w/her changed face.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
I was sort of against seeing it, although I may on video. That's because I'm a fan of the original movie, based on the play, starring Norma Shearer and Joan Crawford. To change the writing, to accomodate a difference in eras (nearly 70 years!), would mess with the great dialogue of the original play. If you haven't seen the 1939 version, do so. It's a classic.

IluvEmeralds

Shiny_Rock
I liked it personally...but I''m a huge Meg Ryan fan. It''s a good rainy day movie IMHO

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
I liked it. I don''t think that it was an epic movie, but I thought that it was cute. I think you need to take it for what it is. Don''t judge it based on the first one. Don''t judge it on Meg Ryan. Just enjoy it. However that''s easy for me to say as I have to views either way on Meg Ryan and I have not seen the original.
3.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve seen it and it was ok. Nothing special and a bit predictable to be honest.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
1/2/2009 7:02:47 PM
Author: HollyS

I was sort of against seeing it, although I may on video. That's because I'm a fan of the original movie, based on the play, starring Norma Shearer and Joan Crawford.

Oh, Holly! Not only do we share a love for traditional Christmas music, but we appear to like some of the same classic movies! I own the video of, "The Women", which I have always loved! I practically have it memorized! I love some of the other actresses like Rosalind Russell and Paulette Goddard! Talk about a witty screen play! That one is just great!

Deborah
34.gif

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/2/2009 7:58:25 PM
Author: AGBF

Date:
1/2/2009 7:02:47 PM
Author: HollyS

I was sort of against seeing it, although I may on video. That's because I'm a fan of the original movie, based on the play, starring Norma Shearer and Joan Crawford.

Oh, Holly! Not only do we share a love for traditional Christmas music, but we appear to like some of the same classic movies! I own the video of, 'The Women', which I have always loved! I practically have it memorized! I love some of the other actresses like Rosalind Russell and Paulette Goddard! Talk about a witty screen play! That one is just great!

Deborah
34.gif
See? We do agree, on lots of stuff! We'll just have to push politics to the bottom of the heap of things to talk about!
9.gif
We should only pull it out, and blow the dust off, every 4 years or so.
2.gif

(I have my own copy, too!)

Sizzle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/2/2009 6:29:00 PM
Author:westjenn
I''m wondering if anyone saw the Meg Ryan movie ''The Women'' that just came out on video? If so, what''d you think of it?
I saw it at the theater. I was disappointed with spending going out money on it, but its an ok rental.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I liked it. I thought it was fantastic that there were next to no men in the entire movie. I''d totally suggest renting it.

Also, Netflix bases stars on your own rankings, and for me, it''s rarely accurate. It''s determined that I would hate movies that I absolutely LOVED. I prefer going to Rotten Tomatoes and getting a wide spectrum of reviews instead of just one person''s take on it.

Having said that, RT gave it a 13% fresh. Which is really bad. But I''d still rent it.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
It was OK - but I saw it for the first time as a stage production, so nothing beats that. Agreed, the B&W film is much better, too. But, for a modern re-make, it wasn''t bad. Definitely worth an add to the netflix queue. :)

Itgirl76

Shiny_Rock
The 2008 version is SOOOOO BAD.

I watched it for free in a hotel on a business trip. (I would never pay to see it not even for $1.00)
I am a fan of Meg Ryan and all the ladies in the movie....oh except for Debra Messing

Watch the 1939 version it is so much better.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s OK. Just OK, not great. I saw it twice this week because I like ensemble casts of women, but it lacks depth. They could have done a better job on the script. What really makes the movie interesting (to me) is that I like all four women as actresses, but the story was lacking.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
It was interesting that there were no men visible in the movie. There were obviously male characters, but they never appeared on screen.

It was also a star-studded cast.

But other than that, it was pretty flat.

I wouldn''t pay to see it either. Wait for it to come to tv in a few years.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was really excited to see the movie because parts of it were filmed in Boston, basically right outside of my old office. We just rented it last week and I thought it was crap. Barely funny.

HeartingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
It was ok - for me, the best parts were the purses they were parading around
3.gif

The thing I came away with is how Meg Ryan looks so DIFFERENT. She just looks so...
stretched out. Its fairly easy to tell how botoxed up she is (or is that a face lift?). And the lips! I mean, she''s a beautiful woman already.

Next to her, Anette Benning looks like a grandma! But kudos to Anette though - she looks to be aging very very gracefully.

westjenn

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/3/2009 1:01:26 AM
Author: FrekeChild
I liked it. I thought it was fantastic that there were next to no men in the entire movie. I''d totally suggest renting it.

Also, Netflix bases stars on your own rankings, and for me, it''s rarely accurate. It''s determined that I would hate movies that I absolutely LOVED. I prefer going to Rotten Tomatoes and getting a wide spectrum of reviews instead of just one person''s take on it.

Having said that, RT gave it a 13% fresh. Which is really bad. But I''d still rent it.

I just watched it and thought it was pretty good! FrekeChild, I agree that it was pretty cool that there were no men in it! I was kinda waiting for her husband to show up but he never did!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/3/2009 12:51:14 PM
Author: HeartingDiamonds

The thing I came away with is how Meg Ryan looks so DIFFERENT. She just looks so...
stretched out. Its fairly easy to tell how botoxed up she is (or is that a face lift?). And the lips! I mean, she's a beautiful woman already.
I read that Meg had CHEEK IMPLANTS!!! We have a guiness book of world records 2009 showing the woman w/the most spent on plastic surgery and she had cheek implants and her and Meg look exactly the same.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/3/2009 12:51:14 PM
Author: HeartingDiamonds
It was ok - for me, the best parts were the purses they were parading around
3.gif

stretched out. Its fairly easy to tell how botoxed up she is (or is that a face lift?). And the lips! I mean, she''s a beautiful woman already.

Next to her, Anette Benning looks like a grandma! But kudos to Anette though - she looks to be aging very very gracefully.
I thought Meg Ryan looked incredibly good compared to the last time I saw her in something.
Her skin looked so young and smooth. Botox? Hmmm......

I hate to say this but I thought they made Debra Messing look just awful and she''s a very pretty woman. She looked like a silly bag lady. What was with her wardrobe?

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven''t seen it. I''ve seen the original film...AND on PBS some years ago, I saw the actual play with Kristen Johnston and Cynthia Nixon. The original play was/is quite a bit more racy than was acceptable for the screen in ''39, and is fairly off-color even by today''s standards. I''m not planning on seeing it because I don''t think it would translate very well into modern times. Remakes of classics are usually just that - remakes, and pale imitations of the originals. Not to mention the complete lack of creativity it implies. Hey, we''re creatively bankrupt and can''t write anything new so let''s re-hash something that worked once! Sad.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results