shape
carat
color
clarity

*The Wittelsbach Blue Recut*

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"The New York Times" reported today that the Wittelsbach Blue has been recut and will be on display at the Smithsonian Institution.

"Like the Hope, the Wittelsbach is thought to have originated in India, at the Golconda mines, and was also likely to have been brought to the West by Jean-Baptiste Tavernier, the 17th-century traveler and trader. In 1664, King Philip IV of Spain gave it to the Infanta Margarita Teresa to mark her engagement to Leopold I of Austria; in 1722, the diamond passed to the Wittelsbachs, members of Bavaria’s ruling house. In the upheaval after World War I, Bavaria became a republic and the crown jewels of the House of Wittelsbach were dispersed. Except for the exhibition preview for the Christie’s auction the stone was last seen in public at the 1958 Brussels World’s Fair."

For those who want to read more, here is a link to the article.

AGBF
34.gif

mariel

Shiny_Rock
WOW, that''s a stunner. I''ve never heard of it before and after reading the article, am super fascinated by it''s history. Thanks for sharing!

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Here''s some proposed recut information for this diamond including a diamcalc image - interesting!

I''m not sure if this is exacly what was done. wittlesbach recut

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
ok.. I think i''ve found some before and after pictures (maybe?)

454w-graff1.jpg

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/7/2010 8:56:40 AM
Author:AGBF

For those who want to read more, here is a link to the article.

AGBF
34.gif
Our own Richard Wise is quoted in that article!

As for the museum director who said that because the recut altered the hisorical diamond, it now "is nothing"... I''d take that little "nothing" any day!

D2B

Brilliant_Rock
Fascinating!!

Hmm, thinking about it, it is a shame they recut it. For me the history is gone, the old cut, the chips, that is the Wittelbach, a modern cut stone is just that, a modern cut stone. The beauty is in its age, the history of the original cutters and its survival.

Curious to know what others think? Sort of like neatening up the edges of the stone boulders on Stonehenge to make them straighter, iywkim, cant see the point. Actually the more I think about it the more angry it makes me as it screams of arrogance, taking a world famous stone and changing it. Might make business sense but not historical or cultural sense. I guess I just love old things, restoration to preserve is different than alteration to enhance and confirm to modern asthetics. hmmmm, I think I have just had a bit of a vent
26.gif

none the less a beautiful stone, just not THE Wittelbach anymore.

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Informative thread on this topic here, in the coloured stones section!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
1/7/2010 5:55:00 PM
Author: Porridge

Thanks so much for that link, Porridge! It just bears home the truth that is so often mentioned about Pricescope: that one can be reading some areas of it religiously and be totally unaware of other parts! That is a wonderful thread and I was totally unaware that it existed! This sure is a big place. I really thank you a lot for the "heads up"!!

Hugs,
AGBF
34.gif

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/7/2010 7:39:30 PM
Author: AGBF

Date:
1/7/2010 5:55:00 PM

Author: Porridge

Thanks so much for that link, Porridge! It just bears home the truth that is so often mentioned about Pricescope: that one can be reading some areas of it religiously and be totally unaware of other parts! That is a wonderful thread and I was totally unaware that it existed! This sure is a big place. I really thank you a lot for the 'heads up'!!

Hugs,

AGBF

34.gif
no problem AGBF! Sometimes some of us coloured stoners sneak out and grab a few of you unsuspecting hangout folk...come on over...tee hee
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results