carat
color
clarity

The Wisdom DNA kit for cats

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Has anyone here used it?

We have 2 rescue cats that will be 1 year this November. We got them both from the same woman, because well..they were bff's. We went in for one different kitten that wanted nothing to do with us. So we were viewing the other kittens when the calico jumped on my husband and the tuxedo climbed up on me [I was like..what is this rodent get it off me]. Anyway! When the nice lady said "I can't separate them, they are a bonded pair" ... :| My husband looks at me like..please oh please oh please please..fine.. we'll get them both. Of course the black one is now the love of my life. And the calico? amazing. I've raised them like dogs [pretty amazing felines!]. But we never knew what they were. Calico and Tuxedo are just color traits they aren't breeds. So I just ordered the Wisdom DNA test and I'm curious to see if anyone else here has used one. But the odds of getting 2 long haired strays? hmmm I am betting they are from the same litter. He's a silky though and I think he's a main coon mix.

1635431914310.png

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Pretty cats.

I did cat rescue for a few years. I'm taking a break now. Long hairs or fluffly haired medium coats are not fully uncommon. I have had Siamese mixes too in the past, Bengal mixes, etc.

They could have some MC in them- they look larger than average as well. I have not done a test on any of ours. We have a house full of strays and foster fails.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not familiar with testing cat DNA but I understand your curiosity. I have a rescue pup and was told he was a Boston Terrier mix so I was curious too and did the Embark DNA test on him. He came back as 100% Boston. He definitely has the personality to go with it. Please come back and let us know the DNA results on your guys.
IMG_4726.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have rescue cats and we do TNR for the feral cats in our neighborhood and we feed them and do the best we can for them. I am not familiar with the wisdom dna kit for cats.

But here’s the kitty love of my life. My sweet Francesca. May she RIP. Best kitty ever. ♥️

45EDE523-2554-4172-8D0B-5061E28CAD50.png

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
I have not, but I did have a long haired tuxedo cat who was very large framed and super smart/vocal/personable so I think she was part Maine coon. She adored my kiddos too even from the time they were babies and treated them like her own kittens :lol: we adopted her and her brother (tuxedo but short hair) and they were presumed to be from the same litter as they were found in a box with five kittens that someone had put in a dumpster!!!! E8376BDA-89AE-444F-97D6-2D1FED7A9CD8.jpeg

Last edited:

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I'm not familiar with testing cat DNA but I understand your curiosity. I have a rescue pup and was told he was a Boston Terrier mix so I was curious too and did the Embark DNA test on him. He came back as 100% Boston. He definitely has the personality to go with it. Please come back and let us know the DNA results on your guys.
IMG_4726.jpg

LOOK at that face [give him smush kisses for meeeee]

We have rescue cats and we do TNR for the feral cats in our neighborhood and we feed them and do the best we can for them. I am not familiar with the wisdom dna kit for cats.

But here’s the kitty love of my life. My sweet Francesca. May she RIP. Best kitty ever. ♥️

45EDE523-2554-4172-8D0B-5061E28CAD50.png

be still my heart..<3

I have not, but I did have a long haired tuxedo cat who was very large framed and super smart/vocal/personable so I think she was part Maine coon. She adored my kiddos too even from the time they were babies and treated them like her own kittens :lol: we adopted her and her brother (tuxedo but short hair) and they were presumed to be from the same litter as they were found in a box with five kittens that someone had put in a dumpster!!!! E8376BDA-89AE-444F-97D6-2D1FED7A9CD8.jpeg

<3333333333333

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm curious what they come out to be. We have a big floofy long-haired black w/white kitty (Boo-boo). He is somewhat unusual also.
If there is raucous going on in another room he has to go check it out. Our other cats run from loud noises. He is our alpha cat and
lets the other cats know it.

Boo-boo
booboo.jpg

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a poofy long haired cat, too.
He's really weird, compared to other cats we've had before. He may be some type of Transylvanian breed.
Sometimes we call him
Count Alucard.....!
(Dracula, backwards)
IMG_20210702_191214718.jpg

DAF

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Blingmeupscotty, the lynx point on top of your tuxedo's ears suggest at least part Maine Coon. Is the fur long between the pads on the bottom of their paws?

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have 10 cats, and they're all the same breed... rescued! >^..^<

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Well the results are in! And I can say I am surprised. I knew there were only 2 breeds my boy could be, and that was either Persian or main coon. I would have put money on main coon by the way he's growing but momma was wrong. They interestingly enough came up with different traits for each. They were able to give the blood type of one but I didn't get the blood type of the other. Fascinating stuff though!

moose.jpg peanut.jpg

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well the results are in! And I can say I am surprised. I knew there were only 2 breeds my boy could be, and that was either Persian or main coon. I would have put money on main coon by the way he's growing but momma was wrong. They interestingly enough came up with different traits for each. They were able to give the blood type of one but I didn't get the blood type of the other. Fascinating stuff though!

moose.jpg peanut.jpg

Ooooh! They are both part Norwegian Forrest Cat!!! What fun!!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do the Wisdom DNA kits cost more than the Stupidity DNA kits? :lol:

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful babies!

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
Do the Wisdom DNA kits cost more than the Stupidity DNA kits? :lol:

Are you referring to the Ancestry DNA and 23&Me DNA tests?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm just poking fun at the ridiculous product names that companies come up with.
That's all.

They're using psychology to sell a product, like the "smartphone", smartcar, smartTV, etc.
Have you bought your smart toilet seat yet? :rolleyes:
The subliminal message is you are smart or wise if you buy product named Smart X or Wisdom Y.
Pfffft.

Recently the marketing buzzword was 'extreme'; now it's 'smart'.

Last edited:

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
I'm just poking fun at the ridiculous product names that companies come up with.
That's all.

They're using psychology to sell a product, like the "smartphone", smartcar, smartTV, etc.
Have you bought your smart toilet seat yet? :rolleyes:
The subliminal message is you are smart or wise if you buy product named Smart X or Wisdom Y.
Pfffft.

Recently the marketing buzzword was 'extreme'; now it's 'smart'.

Haha got it! And I agree!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I need "smart" toilet seats that will always close after being left up!

@blingmeupscotty So, is American Domestic Cat a breed? I tried to look it up and only came up with American Shorthair.

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I need "smart" toilet seats that will always close after being left up!

@blingmeupscotty So, is American Domestic Cat a breed? I tried to look it up and only came up with American Shorthair.

I think ASH and ALH are, short and long haired breeds yes.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hadn't heard of this. I need to get some kits for my feline crew.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
There's a guy near Chambersburg, PA who runs cat rescue that borders on a hoarding situation. Anyway, he has a collection of local longhair cats, had a few of them analyzed, and Norwegian Forest Cat was a large percent of their genetic makeup. Maybe that company just has a bias toward "Norwegian Forest Cat" instead of, say, Maine Coon or Turkish Angora or whatever other long hair breeds

DAF

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

moose.jpg peanut.jpg

Hmmm...the calico's face looks more MC that Wegie. It's hard to tell with the tuxedo because of the way the sunlight is shadowing the face. Wegie faces tend to look more dainty when compared to that of the MCs.

Maine Coons are believed to have been brought to North America by the Vikings and developed on their own to become our own (US) indigenous breed. The original cats that were brought over on ships for rodent control were also the ancestors of Norwegian cats. Their appearances do vary, depending on country and breed standards of the governing body (Cat Fancier's Association and The International Cat Association). I have four pure-bred Maine Coons and two mixes (rescues). One of the pure-breds is (US) domestic, two came from Russia (of Polish lineage), and my latest from Belarus. They all look very different. The Eastern European appear to be larger and have a more wild look to their facial appearance. It all depends on what you're looking for. Personality wise, they are all sweethearts who love to supervise and are kind, gentle beasts that want to be in the same room with you.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, is American Domestic Cat a breed? I tried to look it up and only came up with American Shorthair.

This was my thought -- I think it's hilarious. And it's by the far main lineage in those two. Imagine the thrill of learning that your American domestic cat is predominantly "American domestic cat."

If 23andMe did this, we'd all be like 80% "regular ol' human" plus a dash of this or that from six generations back. :lol-2:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The DNA results are back!

Screen Shot 2021-11-21 at 5.40.43 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-21 at 5.40.58 AM.png

Gracie is 25% imp, 15% devil, 15% hobgoblin and 45% cherub.
:)

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hmmm...the calico's face looks more MC that Wegie. It's hard to tell with the tuxedo because of the way the sunlight is shadowing the face. Wegie faces tend to look more dainty when compared to that of the MCs.

Maine Coons are believed to have been brought to North America by the Vikings and developed on their own to become our own (US) indigenous breed. The original cats that were brought over on ships for rodent control were also the ancestors of Norwegian cats. Their appearances do vary, depending on country and breed standards of the governing body (Cat Fancier's Association and The International Cat Association). I have four pure-bred Maine Coons and two mixes (rescues). One of the pure-breds is (US) domestic, two came from Russia (of Polish lineage), and my latest from Belarus. They all look very different. The Eastern European appear to be larger and have a more wild look to their facial appearance. It all depends on what you're looking for. Personality wise, they are all sweethearts who love to supervise and are kind, gentle beasts that want to be in the same room with you.

Can I see pictures of your babies!! would love to see them.

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I have never heard of the NFC before this test btw. And yes I think @AdaBeta27 you're right. That would be my guess too. The genetic markers for physical problems is what I was looking for. Like I said I narrowed down his physical markers to either persian or maincoon .. he's such a lover anyway.. what a fur baby soulmate. We now have a chocolate pug.. and he's a babe but my kitty is my world. IMG_9391.jpg

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
I have never heard of the NFC before this test btw. And yes I think @AdaBeta27 you're right. That would be my guess too. The genetic markers for physical problems is what I was looking for. Like I said I narrowed down his physical markers to either persian or maincoon .. he's such a lover anyway.. what a fur baby soulmate. We now have a chocolate pug.. and he's a babe but my kitty is my world. IMG_9391.jpg

LOOK AT THAT BABY!!! I want to kiss the belly!!!

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
The DNA results are back!

Screen Shot 2021-11-21 at 5.40.43 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-21 at 5.40.58 AM.png

Gracie is 25% imp, 15% devil, 15% hobgoblin and 45% cherub.
:)

@missy she looks like such a prim and proper little lady!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results