shape
carat
color
clarity

the "vegetarian" bag

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, so what do you ladies who don''t buy leather indulge in, purse-wise? For me it''s been Kathy Van Zeeland...she used to design for Nine West...but are there any "luxury" bags out there that are animal friendly?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
monnie i just got a kathy van zeeland purse charm that i plan to adorn my b-bag with...i had never heard of her before but saw a bunch of her stuff all over ebay, so i had to chime in when i saw your post since i recognized her name. hehee. sorry i''m no help though with the actual bag Q!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/15/2006 2:36:56 AM
Author: Mara
monnie i just got a kathy van zeeland purse charm that i plan to adorn my b-bag with...i had never heard of her before but saw a bunch of her stuff all over ebay, so i had to chime in when i saw your post since i recognized her name. hehee. sorry i''m no help though with the actual bag Q!
You purse whore! I should''ve known you''d chime in as soon as you saw the word "bag," lol! LMAO!
9.gif

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
That''s so funny because I had bought a slightly metallicy looking, dusty blue kathy van zeeland bag a few months ago from Stein Mart. It came with this purse charm dealy. It''s got a small gold telephone, a gold heart, a fake crystal charm, and a pearl charm on it, and I clipped it to my b-bag shortly after I got it. Way to go, Mara! Great minds think alike!

flutterby

Brilliant_Rock
not sure how luxury it is, but I LOVE 1154 Lill bags! When I lived in Chicago my friends and I always had them made. I see them here in LA, even though there is no boutique. Regardless they are super cute fabric bags!

1154 Lill

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooo thanks Ms.Flutter and Squarecut for those links! Ms.Flutter, love, love, love those fabric bags, they are so cute! One of these days I will have to visit the store on Armitage and get one made for myself...maybe I''ll bring a friend and turn it into a fun girl day.

Squarecut, have you ordered from mattandnat.com before? I have to do a more extensive browse through the website, but it looks great...just wondering how your experience has been with them. Thanks!

I really love reading the Balenciaga thread, but just can''t bring myself to even consider shelling out $1k or so for a bag made of animal skin. Most of my friends have Coaches, Chloes, Koobas, etc., and even a couple really nice Monsacs and Fossils, but I just can''t do it! There are all these threads in hangout about what people like to spend sort of outrageous amounts of money on...bags are just not and have never been my thing as far as major purchases. The fact that I stopped eating meat about 2 yrs ago has also been a factor--how can I justify not eating an animal but wearing one, ya know? I even watch footwear now...I''ve had some people comment on the fact that I don''t eat meat but have worn a leather watchband (a cheapy Diesel from a few seasons ago with that really wide band) or leather flip flops or even leather boots (gasp!), so now I''m a bit paranoid that when people find out I''m a veg they will start questioning me...plus in my own mind it''s very hypocritical to wear it but not eat it. One thing at a time, I guess!

9.gif

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe Stella McCartney handbags would fit the bill. She is vegan, does not use leather and has some INCREDIBLE vinyl bags that are to die for. Here's one just to whet your appetite:

stella_3.jpg

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/18/2006 1:39:04 AM
Author: KristyDarling
I believe Stella McCartney handbags would fit the bill. She is vegan, does not use leather and has some INCREDIBLE vinyl bags that are to die for. Here's one just to whet your appetite:

stella_3.jpg
Oh, now you're making me really drool. That is a super cute bag Kristy! I'm not even going to ask what the price tag is...ok, I am. How much? ARgh, I have a feeling you're going to say upwards of $1k and I'm not going to like that, lol. I think I might have to get a second job.
31.gif

ETA: Ok, I just checked and could this be right? $100-$300? What? I'm sold, sign me up.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually don''t know how much it costs, so you''re more resourceful than I am!
3.gif
Her bags are mostly PVC so that could be why they''re affordable. Where did you find the purchasing info? I may just have to hop on over there myself.
9.gif
I love the quilting and hardware on this little number.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There''s also this one by Stella, a little out there but still kinda cute: $344 at efashionhouse.com (don''t know anything about this site tho):
B06SM02A62.jpg

Here''s a Stella on sale for $537 at netaporter.com:
index.jpg

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ok, you really need to stop! LOL! Seriously, I just found some random website, (thinkfashion.com) that stated her prices for bags...but then I came back to this thread and found you''d posted two for a bit higher than that!

I''ll have to do a little more research at work tomorrow (during my downtime, hee hee, which is whenever, thank god) and will report back!

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/18/2006 1:06:58 AM
Author: monarch64
Ooo thanks Ms.Flutter and Squarecut for those links! Ms.Flutter, love, love, love those fabric bags, they are so cute! One of these days I will have to visit the store on Armitage and get one made for myself...maybe I''ll bring a friend and turn it into a fun girl day.

Squarecut, have you ordered from mattandnat.com before? I have to do a more extensive browse through the website, but it looks great...just wondering how your experience has been with them. Thanks!

I really love reading the Balenciaga thread, but just can''t bring myself to even consider shelling out $1k or so for a bag made of animal skin. Most of my friends have Coaches, Chloes, Koobas, etc., and even a couple really nice Monsacs and Fossils, but I just can''t do it! There are all these threads in hangout about what people like to spend sort of outrageous amounts of money on...bags are just not and have never been my thing as far as major purchases. The fact that I stopped eating meat about 2 yrs ago has also been a factor--how can I justify not eating an animal but wearing one, ya know? I even watch footwear now...I''ve had some people comment on the fact that I don''t eat meat but have worn a leather watchband (a cheapy Diesel from a few seasons ago with that really wide band) or leather flip flops or even leather boots (gasp!), so now I''m a bit paranoid that when people find out I''m a veg they will start questioning me...plus in my own mind it''s very hypocritical to wear it but not eat it. One thing at a time, I guess!

9.gif
I am not a veg, but I live in Oregon, so we have a lot of folks who are. One thing I''ve always wondered about was the not eating animals but wearing them dilemma. I most certainly do not judge, but I''ve had a vegan friend or two make a catty remark about someone with a fur trimmed coat, and I look down & they are wearing leather boots & carrying a leather bag. That''s always a head scratcher for me, but hey, I keep my mouth shut since I eat steak.

I guess you just have to start one step at a time. I think its honorable what you are doing, and if anyone makes any comments, you can just tell them you are working your leather items out of your rotation now that you''ve chosen this path. We can''t all be perfect, but you are doing something important.

That said, have you seen the Beijo bags? Some of them are great fun, but they are made of plastic I think. Kate Spade has nylon bags or tweed cloth (if you want a status bag). I think there are more and more options now for folks who want non-animal items and its great.

Jeannine

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
Ooooh, best thread ever!!!
9.gif
So far, Matt & Nat is my favorite (& I loooove my wallet from them too). Moo Shoes is a store based in NYC with tons of veg shoes & bags (& is where I came across Matt & Nat), and they sell all their products online too. That is also where I came across Cleo Roos - don''t have any of her bags, but oooooooooh the one I saw in the store last week was soooo tempting & gorgeous!!

Queen Bee also has some cute stuff, but it''s more "cute" and less "luxury" - and their totes don''t have zippers which really irks me.

Can''t wait to check out the links other people posted!!!
9.gif

Also, sidenote: Divergrrl - are you sure your vegan friend was actually wearing leather?? That''s my only concern with wearing faux leather shoes & bags. IIII know they aren''t leather, but I wonder if other people just assume they are?? But whatever, if you''re not wearing Keds & carrying a canvas bag, pretty much everything else LOOKS like leather. Anyway, just a random aside!
5.gif

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
hm... well I''m not really a veggie gal but all my recent purse purchases have been lesportsac... they do the ripstop nylon stuff. not exactly luxury brand, not exactly the most fashion forward, but the quality is great... I had one that I used every day in spring/summer for years and it *finally* started fraying a little on the bottom corner... I definitely got my money''s worth out of a bag that was <$100!!!

And recently I''ve been indulging in their tokidoki line... all their prints are so adorable!!
9.gif

elle

Shiny_Rock
http://www.amazonlife.com/store/

They have natural latex bags (I know sounds like something else! BUT they are pretty cool!) made by natuives in Brazil - very cool, quirky and hardy. Love the quilted ones. It feels like a real thick leather too. :)

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i have a friend who''s veggie and she wears leather shoes as well!! hehee.

lol lizz re: clipping the kvz stuff to b-bags!

SquareCut

Shiny_Rock
Monarch, I never ordered from Mattandnat.com. Like Albicocca, I found them at Moo Shoes in NYC. Also like Albi, I love the wallet I got - the large sara. It''s got 3 zippered pockets and lots of storage but it''s flexible and so lightweght.

neren

Rough_Rock
i have a matt and nat purse and I love it, and my Future SIL have one too and she carries it everywhere.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/18/2006 11:27:55 AM
Author: divergrrl

I am not a veg, but I live in Oregon, so we have a lot of folks who are. One thing I''ve always wondered about was the not eating animals but wearing them dilemma. I most certainly do not judge, but I''ve had a vegan friend or two make a catty remark about someone with a fur trimmed coat, and I look down & they are wearing leather boots & carrying a leather bag. That''s always a head scratcher for me, but hey, I keep my mouth shut since I eat steak.

Jeannine
It''s like the comment about "why is that person ordering a piece of cake and a diet coke?" the answer is - choose your calories and carbs!! hehe As for the veg thing - not everyone is veg because they animals. Some are because of religion or for health reasons. I have a friend who has no issue wearing leather but cannot stomach the thought of eating it after being raised 7th day adventist. Anyway - just browsing through this EVIL EVIL forum here.... I already ventured out and bought a new watch and a new purse.... ::sigh:: lol I *love* my new purse - even got a RED one which is so unlike me - and it isn''t leather it''s fake leather and was nowhere near a grand :D Nor was the watch hehehe but I love it too! I wish there was a thread for people who buy cheapo stuff :D

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
I''m a veggie and my one good purse is a Kate Spade, which I know is not really a luxury item compared to the leather purses people buy but is still pricey to me for synthetic materials! I''m going to check out the links others have posted and also wanted to second Moo Shoes. I have some shoes from them and they''re really cute.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does anyone know (or have you even seen it yet) if the J.Crew wooden handled bag in their newest catalog has those vaschetta leather accents? I can''t find the purse on the website, but I just got the catalog a couple days ago and was looking at the picture last night trying to figure out if there were little leather accents on it...argh. I love the look of the bag, and it''s fabric with wooden handles so it would be perfect but I know they like to use leather on things...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results