shape
carat
color
clarity

The time change ...

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Sounds like politicians and the public agree the twice-a-year time change is not groovy and should be put to bed.
But now they are quibbling over which of the two to stay with.

I say, compromise, just t split the difference.
Permanently leave the time right in between the two stupid times.
Let's change our clocks by springing forward only 30 minutes and then just leave them alone forever.

The length of the day is not arbitrary, but the hour is, as is the minute and second.
The day is how long it takes for the earth to complete one rotation around its axis.
But chopping a day up into 24 so-called "hours" is 100% arbitrary.
Should we do something stupid tomorrow just because we did it yesterday?

And how bout dropping that dishonest name, daylight savings time.
The length of a day's daylight does not change twice year.
It changes every day based on the earth's position in its rotation around the sun, because it's axis of rotation is angled with respect to it's rotation around the sun.

What say you?

Last edited:

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it all depends on how close to the equator you are and how far E/W you are in your time-zone. Different parts of the US are affected very differently. Commuting in the dark is less safe. I don't know which "flavor" permits the most person-hours of daylight commuting (i.e., weighted for the population affected). Someone must know this.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer DST.

I like it being lighter in the evening and since I am a very early riser it just fits better with my schedule. For example, this morning I woke at 4:30 AM but because of the clocks springing ahead it was 5:30 AM. A much more reasonable hour to wake IMO.

DST goes with my internal body clock a bit better. Do I wish I could sleep til a more civilized hour let's say 7AM? Heck yeah but it is what it is and my body has a mind (haha) of its own. :/

Anyway my POV only. YMMV and probably does. :wink2:

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
I loathe the time change and want it to stay at this changed time permanently. It screws me up, especially as I work shiftwork. Tomorrow I get up at 4am, but my body thinks it's 3am. That's the middle of the @#$@ing night grumble, grumble, grumble.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hate the time change.
It has never made any sense to me, and I sincerely hope they stop doing it.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would prefer they leave it as it is today and we never have to change the clocks again.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I say leave it in daylight savings mode. I like it staying light later. I would be happy from this day forward to never have to mess with the clocks again.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
While I have always preferred DST, I've been saying the same thing about splitting the difference for years.
The change is a slight annoyance to me. I'm pretty much okay with it within a day or two, but it really bothers a lot of people, so let's just do a compromise and forget about it, already.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
While I have always preferred DST, I've been saying the same thing about splitting the difference for years.
The change is a slight annoyance to me. I'm pretty much okay with it within a day or two, but it really bothers a lot of people, so let's just do a compromise and forget about it, already.

I agree with Kenny's original suggestion and you to split the time difference.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We don't change ours until next week, something I need to bear in mind twice a year when communicating with my folks in Vancouver.

DK :))

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it all depends on how close to the equator you are and how far E/W you are in your time-zone. Different parts of the US are affected very differently. Commuting in the dark is less safe. I don't know which "flavor" permits the most person-hours of daylight commuting (i.e., weighted for the population affected). Someone must know this.

Absolutly agree
Id love to see it year around here
But
Down south it stays light for so long in the summer its awsone
but in the winter it gets dark a lot earlier

I don't know why some people (in every country with daylight saving) get such a bee in theme bonnets over something that works so well
People who live closer to the equator get warmer weather

let people who know what its like to get up in the dark and freezing cold to go to work/school enjoy they long summer days to their best advantage

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
That first week of day light saving is no less enjoyable as that first lie in when the clocks go back
ive worked a lot of Sunday's in my life and i love that one hour once a year

If it ain't broke don't fix it !

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't care either way as long as the time change is removed permanently.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
While I enjoy the light of day at 6am rather than the dark, I also like a longer evening before darkness falls. This has been going on for most of my life, so my thoughts are that it simply is what it is. I don't overthink it; it just takes a day (or week) for me to adjust my body clock. Actually, this is just another good reason why June is my favorite month in the northern hemisphere. Light at both ends of my day.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't care either way as long as the time change is removed permanently.

+1
You took the words right out of my fingers.

I don't even keep track of which is named what, and which way the clock goes or when.
To me it's all just a stupid, annoying, and unnecessary hassle.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Time change is really messing with me and I have a vampire appointment early in the morning.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Time change is really messing with me and I have a vampire appointment early in the morning.

Aw man, that bloody bites!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What always stunk about the time change was when you had to change your digital alarm clock back in the day. Inevitably you would go past the hour and have to go through it all the hours again. Multiply this exercise by multiple digital clocks and it was a PIA.

Most people use their phone as an alarm clock now saving them from this annoyance.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i just read something about how all the bills are to permanently move to DST but it's actually standard time that is closest to having the sun overhead at noon so that would be my vote though i'd settle for either. switching back and forth has outlived its usefulness.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sick of screwing up my dogs time. Right now we're doing everything an hour later so they don't get messed up going back to standard time. I HAVE to do it that way because Gigi will aggressively start squeaking her head off from 4:30 to 5pm. Now she does it at 5:30 to 6. A much better and easier to handle proposition.

However I get a bit messed up on MY time because I'm observing 'Dogs Time' and DST.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arcadian, that was a very timely post! ;)2

I really hope Biden signs this bill and stops the madness! :pray:

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
@missy
Its a bit long
But daily i read lots of news from NJ ;)2
It all seems a bit complicated
The graphs near the end of the article show for Dunedin which is
Latitude: -45° 52' 26.98" S
Longitude: 170° 30' 13.00" E
(Compared to NJ (i went with Freehold ;)2 )40.2137° N, 74.3001° W)

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope the bill passes!

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please stay with DST, I hate it when it gets dark at 5-6 pm

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
permanently moving to DST is a terrible idea IMO bc you get longer light in the evening but it’s dark in the morning. In the summer it’s fine bc it catches up bc of the earth’s position but in the winter it’s DARK and if you don’t “fall back” to standard time it will still be dark at 8:30-8:45 in some places. The U.S. has done this before with bad results - can we not learn from history???? Do we want to be at work when it is pitch dark and kids at school? I am
seriously baffled that senators aren’t thinking of this. Here is the article where they tried this experiment before:

If anything we should stay with standard time bc in the summer yiu have longer light anyway. Especially up north. I’m in South Texas and hate DST bc it’s an hour extra of heat - sun goes down at 9-9:30 and it would be just fine at 8-8:30.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd rather it be dark in the morning and light later in the day. But where I live I'm often driving to work in the winter in the dark anyways so it doesnt seem like that big of a deal. I will literally miss the entire day of sun :( So I'm happy to start in the dark if I get some evening sun!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't care which they pick, more light early or more light late ... just leave it alone all year!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results