shape
carat
color
clarity

The Taylor-Burton diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

blodthecat

Brilliant_Rock
I have recently been reading the life story of Elizabeth Taylor, who is known for her love of diamonds.

By far the best known of Richard Burton''s purchases was the 69.42-carat pear-shape diamond, later to be called the Taylor-Burton Diamond. It was cut from a rough stone weighing 240.80 carats found in the Premier Mine in 1966 and subsequently bought by Harry Winston.

Quite some years ago at a function, Princess Margaret spotted the 39-carat Krupp diamond on Elizabeth Taylor''s finger and exclaimed, "That''s the most vulgar thing I''ve ever seen!". The actress offered to let the stylish royal try on the bauble, one of many dazzling gifts from fifth husband, Richard Burton. Watching the Princess'' eyes sparkle as she examined the jewel, the quick-witted star famously quipped: "See? It''s not so vulgar now, is it?".

Apparently Liz Taylor''s mother told her that when she was born, she didn''t open her eyes for 6-days. When she did finally open them, the first thing she saw was an engagement ring! Hence, her obsession with diamonds.

So you see guys, we''ve all suffered some kind trauma at birth, which has left us with this diamond obsession. I knew there would be a reason for it. I''ll try running it by DH, and see if he buys it!

taylor-burton.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha! I think my DH would accept any theory as to my obsession, and he knows there is absolutely nothing he can do about it, to his wallet''s distress. Princess Margaret could talk, what about some of the enormous diamonds in her tiaras and brooches?????? Yep, I can imagine really huge rocks can be quite vulgar, unless you are the one sporting it
41.gif

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
My mother lost the center stone from her e-ring and had to have it replaced when she was pregnant with me!!! I KNEW IT!!!! There had to be a reason for my obsession. I was diamond hunting in the womb.
9.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I freaking love that diamond.

I don''t think my mom is jewelry obsessed at all, nor did she have any diamond related ''events'' in my pregnancy. Who knows where I got it - but it started early - with me cracking rocks open in the backyard with a hammer to see if there was any quartz or amethyst inside them.
1.gif

And I''d take the "vulgar" stone anyday! Another pic of the Taylor-Burton...

ph_taylor.jpg

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
what is the "specs" on her stone? color? clarity?

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is all I could find. You''d think the owner could spring for an idealscope or something if he paid 3 mill for the stone. Then again - would it fit under an idealscope?!?!
2.gif

The Taylor-Burton
69.42 Carats, color: F-G, clarity: IF, cut: Pear-shape, source: Premier Mine, Transvaal, South Africa.
It was founded in 1966 in the Premier Mine in South Africa. The rough, which weighted 240.80 carats, was cut into a 69.42 pear shape diamond.
As you might guess from the name, Richard Burton bought and named this stone as a gift for Elizabeth Taylor. Yes, Richard Burton bought it $1,100,000. He also named this stone as an engagement. After Burton''s death in 1979, Liz Taylor sold the stone for charity and reportedly received $2.8 million. She donated in his memory to a hospital in Biafra. It was last seen in Saudi Arabia.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi! I believe Robert Mouawad still owns the Taylor-Burton, and he had it re-cut. It now weighs 68.09 carats. Before the recutting, the curved half of the stone''s girdle had a very round outline, it is now a little more straight at that end. It also had a small culet, which was made even smaller after the recut. Sources: Famous Diamonds by Ian Balfour and My Love Affair With Jewelry by Elizabeth Taylor.

kaylagee

Brilliant_Rock
love that story, love that diamond!
30.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results