shape
carat
color
clarity

The search begins...

EnalyRemem

Rough_Rock
Hi all! Newbie here.

I'm along the way in my search for a diamond engagement ring, hoping to have the ring by August or so. I'm looking for something simple and clean: a round solitaire with an unornamented, platinum band set by six prongs. Neither of us is particularly interested in being flashy. For reasons that are significant to myself and my girlfriend (and to help narrow things a bit), I'm thinking 0.91c and E color. Other than that, I'm pretty open. My girlfriend is NOT interested in shopping or perusing with me, so this one is up to me. I'm excited and up for the challenge... but also a little nervous!

Through reconnaissance, I did get some ring-specific info through a best friend that was... rather unhelpful. Basically, there were several rings that she liked: a solitaire princess cut on a four pronged, plain band; a solitaire round cut on a six pronged, plain band; and (the doozy) a cushion cut with bead settings around the diamond AND on the band. Yikes. What should I do about that? The latter just seems like it'll be too flashy...

I also know that she wants me to buy from some place more special/interesting/unique, rather than a large/chain retailer, so I've been looking into that a bit.

I've been recommended http://www.engagementringsdirect.com/ (Mark, specifically) and http://shop.goodoldgold.com by one friend, and http://www.krikawa.com/ by another. The latter is appealing to me because they a) design their own bands, though they are pricey, and b) order diamonds to set them based on specifications one provides.

Another buddy of mine just purchased from a local (but still kinda large) retailer and apparently had a very good experience. Yet another is investigating and has been told to be wary of buying online. (I do know to at least make sure I'm talking to a rep, etc. if I were to look/buy through one of the above sites.) Thoughts either way?

-----

Anyway, a diamond like this strikes my fancy (though a bit pricey):
http://www.engagementringsdirect.com/DiamondDetails.aspx?Item=182621078

I know the basics about stones, but I'd be curious to know other specifics I should be looking at when it comes to rounds.

And a setting like this is pretty close:
http://www.krikawa.com/jewelry/body-of-work/details.aspx?style=553&cat=9

I would prefer a band that was a) a full circle on the inside and b) didn't "engulf" the ring so much like this one seems to, looking from the side. Something that was more acute... a la the "Tiffany Setting". Any (other) good recommendations on a place/site where I could have something similar made, or that would give a more personal touch?

-----

Those two combined, theoretically speaking, would put me a bit over the budget I'm looking to spend on the ring. I'd love to come out for around $6K total, setting and stone.

Whoa, that post ended up being a lot longer than I intended! Any thoughts or advice folks can provide would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance!

- ER

slg47

Ideal_Rock

EnalyRemem

Rough_Rock
Wow, thank you for such a quick reply!

slg47 said:
does it have to be exactly 0.91? this one looks promising if eye-clean but it is 0.90
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/E-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1192351.asp

I was hoping for exactly 0.91, yes. That does look like a gorgeous diamond, though! Hmm.. I might have to consider it :)

slg47 said:

LOVE the first two. Especially the second. Can't see a side view of the first, though since it's in the Tiffany Setting style, I can imagine what it looks like. These are great suggestions, thank you very much!

-----

Do you or anyone else have additional thoughts about the discrepancies between her potential choices mentioned above or between buying online (or via phone/distance) vs. in person, especially for a custom job?

eddiexp

Rough_Rock
I think from what you are describing, it sounds like she is just not exactly sure what she really loves, and is not dead set on one particular style. Those three you have described sounds like very different ends of the spectrum to me!

Don't worry, I know exactly where you are coming from as I recently sat down with the lady and did some pretend ring shopping online. She was picking out all sorts of things that she labeled as "oh that looks really nice". I’m talking about all different diamond cuts like round, princess, cushion cut and set on various settings like simple solitaries all the way to fancy 3 stone rings, etc.....believe me I was scared after seeing that.

Then I realized that probably means she's just not dead set on one particular design, as some ladies are? Like one of my friends, she knew exactly what cut and ring design she wanted without even shopping around.

So what I've concluded is, pick something that you think suits her best and is also easy on the eye for you as well. While I understand she's the one wearing it, you would probably be seeing it from day to day quite often too, so you should some what like it as well.

In my own opinion, when in doubt, stick to the slightly more conservative and simple designs, something that would look more timeless, and won't get old after awhile.

A perfect example is when I was looking at an intricately carved setting with a heart shape on it. The jeweler said to me to consider the fact that while now my gf is young and might like hearts, it might not be the same story later on. 10-20yrs down the road it just might seem a bit kiddie like for her taste when she is older. So this is definitely not a safe choice to go with as a surprise ring.

Lastly, have a little faith in your choice, you should have a good idea of her style and can probably unknowingly pick something she likes.

Good luck to you!

eddiexp

Rough_Rock
and btw, if I may ask, why are you set on that 0.91, would it happen to be a year?? No need to tell if it's something personal, just curious! :tongue:

EnalyRemem

Rough_Rock
Hey there eddiexp, thank you for your post above. That is very reassuring! I appreciate the commentary, and what you wrote makes sense.

eddiexp said:
and btw, if I may ask, why are you set on that 0.91, would it happen to be a year?? No need to tell if it's something personal, just curious! :tongue:

The ".91(0)" is because we started dating on 9/10 of last year, and I'm planning to propose on 9/11 :) I know, a little weird with it being September 11 (and I'd, of course, do it on 9/10), but we'll be at one of her good friend's wedding that day. I want it to be in celebration of our anniversary and when we're around her family, but I don't want to take away from the focus on the bride that day!

I know it's sort of cheesy, as is the color rationale, but I'm super schmaltzy. She and I joke about it all the time.

I might not even mention those details upfront to her either. It's been helpful to me, though, as I hone in on characteristics, and it'll be a cool tidbit to bring up to her if the conversation ever arises.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I think you may be limiting yourself too much...there are just not that many E/0.91 carat diamonds out there! What she will notice most is cut, so I would focus on getting a well cut stone within your budget.

eddiexp

Rough_Rock
Haha, nothing cheesy about that at all, pretty cool that even the size of the diamond has meaning to it.

Though it is too bad you didn't start dating earlier in the year, say January or February? Could’ve rationalized a much smaller carat diamond :bigsmile:

EnalyRemem

Rough_Rock
eddiexp said:
Haha, nothing cheesy about that at all, pretty cool that even the size of the diamond has meaning to it.

Though it is too bad you didn't start dating earlier in the year, say January or February? Could’ve rationalized a much smaller carat diamond :bigsmile:

Ha ha ha, I know! I've definitely chuckled about that a few times.

EnalyRemem

Rough_Rock
slg47|1307726127|2942634 said:
I think you may be limiting yourself too much...there are just not that many E/0.91 carat diamonds out there! What she will notice most is cut, so I would focus on getting a well cut stone within your budget.

Oh noooooooooo, don't tell me that! It was giving me such good focus!

In all seriousness, I do understand what you're saying. Just makes it tougher to decide, what with the sea of diamonds out there...

slg47

Ideal_Rock
EnalyRemem|1307726852|2942648 said:
slg47|1307726127|2942634 said:

Oh noooooooooo, don't tell me that! It was giving me such good focus!

In all seriousness, I do understand what you're saying. Just makes it tougher to decide, what with the sea of diamonds out there...

I would
-set a budget
-decide what factors are most important to you (color? clarity? size? H&A?)
and then look from there.

You can always add 'surprise' stones inside the band or an engraving to give it special significance?

E B

Ideal_Rock
I think wanting to find a carat weight of .91 is cute and I'd personally stick with it. The color I'd be more flexible on if you want great cut.

(And just for fun, if you'd consider a unique cut, here's a .91 Quadex. You could say it's a rare cut, just like she is. ;)) I mention it because you said she liked round, princess and cushion. This is kind of like a combo?)

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-104049558004

slg47

Ideal_Rock
E B|1307728827|2942676 said:
I think wanting to find a carat weight of .91 is cute and I'd personally stick with it. The color I'd be more flexible on if you want great cut.

(And just for fun, if you'd consider a unique cut, here's a .91 Quadex. You could say it's a rare cut, just like she is. ;)) I mention it because you said she liked round, princess and cushion. This is kind of like a combo?)

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-104049558004

I think it's cute too, but 0.91 carat exactly AND E color AND staying within a budget?

EnalyRemem

Rough_Rock
E B|1307728827|2942676 said:

Wow... what a cool idea, EB! Thank you! And yes, that diamond is gorgeous!

That's a fair suggestion about the color flexibility, too.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results