shape
carat
color
clarity

The Scavenger Hunt...Help?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

SuicideKing

Rough_Rock
It will happen on Memorial Day, so we got time before this can become reality. I''d like your help.

I don''t want to get too specific about places just in the off chance that she stumbles upon this site...trying to be extra careful.

But there is a beautiful mountain top that we both know of quite well and have shared a special moment early in our relationship. There are a few private areas (it''s a popular hiking area) that I can manage to get to and it''s particular gorgeous at sunset.

I was thinking of inviting her parents (they live in another state) and her sister, friends, and part of my family to get in on the fun a little.

I am going to make a few designed cards/clues that lead her to eventually to the mountain spot in question where I''ll be waiting to propose. The first card will give it away of course, she''ll know what''s coming, but it will deal with me being lost and if she''s willing to come find me.

Some of the clues will be simple references to our favorite movie where a clue might be in a dvd box, or just things about us, each one with a lyric from our song and a note to reflect on our past and future together. On her journey, she may have to do some metaphorical things like crossing water to find me, searching high and low, eventually climbing a mountain (don''t worry, it''s easy!)

Some clues, I''ll use the "helper" (her friend, siblings, and eventually parents) to help pass on the next clue. There really isn''t a good place to hide it a public spot, so I will need people to help and I thought it''d be special since she''d never know her family was coming. Of course, the last two clues could be her parents. I think this might be a little too emotional though, but I''m a sucker for romance obviously.

I''ll give directions to each person not to follow directly behind her, but to give her some space so it feels like her journey.

This will all lead to me, she''ll know exactly what''s coming, but hopefully all that build up will allow her to really reflect and soak it in when it finally comes and I can be there waiting with my back turned to her, get down on one knee, and pop the question.

There is a restaurant nearby and I can have plans for us all to go out afterwards.

Worries: One of the people in on it will spill the beans and ruin the entire setup. (Should I just try to go this alone, with maybe one person I can trust to guide her)

Suggestions: I feel like this needs fine tuning and/or I might be overlooking something.

Ideas? comments?

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Sounds like a sweet idea. I think you''d definitely need some help in execution. Maybe use the people you can trust to help out and/or not involve people till it gets much closer to the actual proposal date.

Side note, hope you don''t make her ford a river during the hunt. You guys will want to take lots of photos, and she''ll probably not appreciate being soaking wet during them. Good luck.

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
I did something similar to this once (although not for a proposal!) and enlisted several friends and family members to hand out the clues to my then bf. I had each one waiting at a spot with a fabric rose with the next clue attached. When I did it, I had him driving all over the city to various spots that had been important in our relationship, so the clues were things like "where we had our first kiss", "where we met", "where we always argue over who pays for lunch", etc.

I would make sure that each person knows where the next spot is so if she gets stuck on a clue, they can help. Also, maybe have them in cell phone contact with each other and you so you can make sure she stays on track and have a general idea of when she''ll get to the mountaintop.

If you go with some sort of theme for the clues (i.e. fabric roses), maybe you could tie them in to the final proposal (i.e. a bouquet of real roses with a final clue tied to them that says "Will You Marry Me?") Good luck--I love treasure hunts, especially when they lead to diamonds!

SuicideKing

Rough_Rock
Excellent input.

I am worried about getting her family involved. I have to let them know at least 3 weeks in advance so they can book their flights, plus I don''t know if they''ll keep the secret so I might be paranoid during that month. Plus it takes a lot more coordination.

Maybe simplifying the hunt where I can just have one person I can trust who can guide her in case she got stuck.

And no, lol, she won''t be going through any water.

Anyone else have any ideas to add?

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
How do you think SHE would feel about a private vs. public proposal with family present?

Myself, private please! Even after being married 21 years, the thought of my Mom and Dad being part of that moment feels icky.

Also the amount of co-ordination needed would add another layer of anxiety for you, and perhaps her, if she is more of a private person.

...just my $0.02 worth...
1.gif

Keepingthefaith21

Brilliant_Rock
LostSapphire brings up a very valid point, one you should consider carefully. I know that even though I am very close with my family, I would not want them present when I get engaged. I guess I feel strongly it should be a moment I share only with my SO.

If you do want to have her family present at some point on your special day why not arrange to have them meet you and your FI at the resturant after? So, your lovely lady gets all the excitement of heading towards her proposal, having the proposal happen and after you can take her breath away again by having her walk into a resturant full of her family and friends.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
I think the scavenger hunt sounds fantastic idea and you most likely will need others to help pull it off :)

I do agree with Lost sapphire something to consider is the privacy of the moment maybe you can have family and friends help but once they have guided your GF onto the next step have them meet you both at a prearranged place away from the actual proposal but where you can meet up to celebrate afterwards. :)

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Suicide King,

My BF just proposed to me during Easter on a mountain top after we hiked up. Camelback Mtn in AZ in case anyone was curious. I have a little tidbit to keep in mind:

Bring some of those hand wipes so she can wipe her hands clean if she had to clamber up a trail. On my way up, a tiny part of me was thinking, "Gee my hands are getting pretty dirty climbing up these rocks..." That way she''ll have nice pretty hands in case she wants to take pictures of her ring. She''ll already know something''s up with the scav hunt, so no need to worry about a surprise.

Have fun!!!!

Shameless

Rough_Rock
Do her parents/family have to follow at a "non-suspicious" distance or can be at the final destination?

It''d be nice to have a dual-surprise.

One, you proposing at the peak...

Two, everyone popping out of the bushes to congratulate... ?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results