shape
carat
color
clarity

The Scam of Brilliant Earth

Diamondfox

Rough_Rock
Hello all. I am here to use my cautionary tale to help inform you all before you make any future purchases from Brilliant Earth. This is a longs story so I am going to try to keep it short and include only the important details.

I placed my order on 11/27/2019 on the phone with a rep named Madison. At the time of my purchase BE had extended returns to Jan 15th (for all orders placed between Nov 1 - Dec 15) and you received a free pair of diamond stud earrings with a purchase of an engagement ring. Madison reminded me of both these things on the phone but I already knew as I combed over their policies and FAQs before purchasing. I purchased a lab diamond engagement ring. I don't want to say exactly how much I paid but let's say with the setting and taxes it was between 8K and 10K. I know for some, this isn't 'a lot' in the realm of engagement rings but I feel we can all agree that this isn't pocket change and my SO and I bought this to be my forever ring.

The scheduled delivery date was 12/10 (Tuesday). On Monday the 9th I reached out to BE as I hadn't yet received a tracking number. I reached out at 8AM AZ time. The chat representative was named Ashley B. Throughout this whole process I chatted on BE maybe 20 times and every single time it was Ashley B. She told me that I would receive an overnight FedEx tracking number by 7PM. I waited. Nothing.

The next morning I checked my email and no update that my order had shipped however on my BE order page it showed a tracking number that was added at 3AM. I woke up around 8:30 AM and the tracking still hadn't updated it showed that the package had not even been dropped off to FedEx. I started to panic because it was now almost 9AM and how could the package arrive in one day if it hadn't even been shipped? I got on chat again with Ashley B and she said that it is highly unusual that my tracking isnt updated and she would email me within the hour. I asked Ashley B where my ring would ship from and she told me their warehouse in California. Being that I live in AZ, I felt that it was possible that even if they dropped my package off at FedEx at 10AM that it might still arriving within the same day.

Four hours later and no word, I chatted again on BE and got Ashley B again. She said that my order is being delayed because the jewelers need 'more time' to work on my setting, and because they offer lifetime warranties on the settings they have to go through 3 levels of QC before being ready to ship. I ordered the most simple solitaire that BE sells (petite comfort fit in 14K RG) but I thought, fine whatever. I am a little annoyed that they waited to tell me this until AFTER they marked the order as shipped, but it is what it is.
_____

The next day (Wednesday the 11th) my tracking finally updated. It was shipping from New York (Not CA like Ashley previously told me). It arrived on Wednesday. My SO works nights and was sleeping when it arrived but I promised to wait until he was awake to open it so we could open it together. About 3 and a half hours after it was delivered he was awake and we opened it. Upon opening it I noticed several things. 1) BE did not ship my diamond certificate 2) BE did not ship my free pair of earrings 3) My stone was loose in the setting (remember, my order was delayed because this setting needed more time to be 'perfected' so it was up to their standards) 4) The setting was extremely tall

Here is a link to the video of the loose stone (listen with sound for the full horror) and the tall setting (I understand a setting being 'too tall' is mostly personal preference so I am not dinging it against BE but it did bother me). I sent the video of the loose stone to my BE rep I placed my order with (Madison).

Madison didn't reply so I called their customer service line. That line rang and rang and rang for over a minute so I redialed the phone number and went the route to place a new order. A representative picked up right away and it was Ashley B (lol. does anyone else work here?) When I told her my name she knew my order right away as I had been chatting with her a lot. I questioned why they didn't even send me my diamond certificate and why my order was delayed for QC and then the ring arrives loose like this. She told me that they are holding my certificate because they didn't want to delay my order and that it would ship 'sometime next week'. I told her that was sketchy and that I want my return window extended to 30 days after my FULL order arrives. She told me absolutely not, your return window is Jan 9th. (Remember, all orders placed Nov 1- Dec 15 are extended return windows until Jan 15). She told me that I would need to send my ring back to be tightened and that it would be 5-7 weeks until it was returned because of the high volume for the holidays. This means, if they mess the setting up again, by the time it is back in my hands my return and repair window will be closed so I will be screwed. I told her that I absolutely did not feel comfortable shipping my ring back for a repair when I don't even have my diamond certificate. She then, strongly implied that the stone being loose was likely my fault as the rings go through 3 rounds of QC before shipment. She told me if I even wanted to return the setting and keep the stone that I would have to send the whole ring back and they'd return my loose stone, I can't have the stone removed locally and it would be 5-7 weeks before my stone was returned. I asked if they could expedite the repair or return process as this ring should not have been sent out in this condition and she said laughed and said no. I hung up.

Madison finally emailed me back and said the same thing - I need to ship it back for a repair and that my certificate would be coming 'sometime next week'. At this point I absolutely didn't feel confident in BE's ability to fix the setting nor am I okay with a possible 2 month wait for a ring that we were hoping to use for a Christmas proposal. Now we are having to eat the cost of the setting and get something new. Madison also reminded me (on email, so I have this in writing) that my return window closes on Jan 9th and that they would absolutely not extend my 30 days even though the certificate is missing because 'we sent you the stone you ordered'. I emailed her back questioning where she pulled Jan 9th from considering she told me herself on the phone that I had until Jan 15th. She has yet to reply.

So in summary,
1) BE lied about the shipping origin of my ring.
2) BE delayed my order to perfect the setting and sent out the setting with the stone loose
3) BE tried to lie to me about my return window twice
4) BE refused to give me a solid date about when I would be receiving my diamond cert

and now that leads us to present day. I made this PriceScope acc just to post this review. I posted my review to a FB group and reddit and ever since then, BE has been calling me non stop. They are holding my diamond certificate (and free earrings) hostage because of my reviews. They keep insisting I call them to 'work it out' but I told them I only feel comfortable emailing so I have it in writing. A manager emailed me and apologized for their reps giving me the wrong return window date and agreed it was the 15th but said that because of the holiday season it is actually closer to 8 weeks for a return or repair. He insisted that I call him ASAP to work something out.

Please think twice before supporting this company. If you have any issues once they have your money, you're screwed.

Bluery

Rough_Rock
I’m so sorry this happened to you. It sounds beyond shady and isn’t the first time I’ve heard bad things about them. I hope they rectify the situation ASAP. And WOW just watched the videos and it’s so loose and way too tall in the setting, I agree.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so sorry you're going through this. I've never ordered from BE, but I've seen at least two other posts here about terrible experiences with this company.

At this point, it sounds like you'd be best off returning the ring for a full refund since the repairs will place you outside the return window. There's no reason for you to eat the cost of the defective setting. Did you pay with a CC? If so, it might give you peace of mind to explain the situation to them and confirm that they'll have your back if BE refuses a full refund. Then you can tell BE that they can either do this the easy way, or they can deal with a chargeback.

You're absolutely right to refuse their telephone calls. If they really want to work it out, then they can email you. They probably don't want to because it puts a paper trail behind their attempts to make you remove your negative reviews.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a nightmare and sorry you are going through this. I would return the ring. Gosh knows what you will get back if you send it for repair.

MelloYello8

Shiny_Rock
That’s terrible. Thank you for sharing the details of your experience so we can be warned before shopping at BE. It’s a shame because they have such an extensive online inventory so it’s tempting to look there.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry you are having such a horrible experience with BE. Thanks for posting this review as it will help others. I hope everything gets sorted out in time for a Christmas proposal, but if not the important thing is you have a wonderful partner and the proposal will be forthcoming.

Diamondfox

Rough_Rock
I am so sorry you're going through this. I've never ordered from BE, but I've seen at least two other posts here about terrible experiences with this company.

At this point, it sounds like you'd be best off returning the ring for a full refund since the repairs will place you outside the return window. There's no reason for you to eat the cost of the defective setting. Did you pay with a CC? If so, it might give you peace of mind to explain the situation to them and confirm that they'll have your back if BE refuses a full refund. Then you can tell BE that they can either do this the easy way, or they can deal with a chargeback.

You're absolutely right to refuse their telephone calls. If they really want to work it out, then they can email you. They probably don't want to because it puts a paper trail behind their attempts to make you remove your negative reviews.

I don’t want to return the whole thing because I do love my stone and I don’t feel comfortable sending it back to them to return just the setting considering I don’t even have my certificate.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh gosh! That's so unacceptable. The stone is beautiful and it looks great on your hand... until you turn to the side view, yikes, that is WAY high. And for it to be loose!?!? With prongs that tall, it will get loose very frequently, just because of the physics of it. It's not a safe setting for your diamond. I would absolutely not accept just a tightening of the prongs - the setting needs to be entirely remade, with a lower profile.

Unfortunately Brilliant Earth has a pretty bad reputation on PS. When something goes wrong, it can be a real pain to get it fixed or to return. This is nowhere near the first post I've seen online with shenanigans specifically having to do with the real return date vs the advertised return date, and I've also heard stories of them contacting people after a negative review is posted.

I second the suggestion to refuse their calls and make them put everything in writing. If you are going to keep the ring, I'd also write them an email or even letter sent by certified mail demanding the completion of your order with your diamond report and earrings.

I would consider returning for a full refund and getting a new diamond from another retailer.

I'm so sorry they are being this way. What a shady company.

Rubymal

Shiny_Rock
So sorry to hear what you are going through. But I can't say that I'm surprised with BE. When I was searching for my engagement ring, they were the worst vendor to deal with. They wasted so much of my time calling me and asking me to fill out forms to customize my appointment for a viewing at their show room. When I showed up, they had none of my info, asked me the same questions over and over again and did not have any of the styles I had requested to see that were on their website. They were quickly marked off my list.

I get that you love your diamond but I think you could find another one to love as well that wont give you ad much of a headache as BE.

Rose-gold-or-bust

Shiny_Rock
Return the whole thing and run. Go read my story in testimonials. And email them stating you do not have the certificate but are returning the ring. Make it clear on everything you send them until you get a confirmation in writing that they are not sending the certificate any longer. Been there with some earrings and it was a nightmare.

also.. post your story on their yelp page *once you get your refund*

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you get a full refund? If so, I would look at August Vintage. Jon won’t do that to you.

Diamondfox

Rough_Rock
Can you get a full refund? If so, I would look at August Vintage. Jon won’t do that to you.

Actually, I purchased a moissanite ring from Jonathan and had a ton of problems with him, too.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am unsurprised. BE is horrible, multiple consumers here have had serious problems with them. Return the entire thing for a full refund and run away quickly. What they are doing now is extortion, and likely could end in you suing them. But this is what they do--they've done it before. Run far far away fro them.

Smith3

Shiny_Rock
Hello all. I am here to use my cautionary tale to help inform you all before you make any future purchases from Brilliant Earth. This is a longs story so I am going to try to keep it short and include only the important details.

I placed my order on 11/27/2019 on the phone with a rep named Madison. At the time of my purchase BE had extended returns to Jan 15th (for all orders placed between Nov 1 - Dec 15) and you received a free pair of diamond stud earrings with a purchase of an engagement ring. Madison reminded me of both these things on the phone but I already knew as I combed over their policies and FAQs before purchasing. I purchased a lab diamond engagement ring. I don't want to say exactly how much I paid but let's say with the setting and taxes it was between 8K and 10K. I know for some, this isn't 'a lot' in the realm of engagement rings but I feel we can all agree that this isn't pocket change and my SO and I bought this to be my forever ring.

The scheduled delivery date was 12/10 (Tuesday). On Monday the 9th I reached out to BE as I hadn't yet received a tracking number. I reached out at 8AM AZ time. The chat representative was named Ashley B. Throughout this whole process I chatted on BE maybe 20 times and every single time it was Ashley B. She told me that I would receive an overnight FedEx tracking number by 7PM. I waited. Nothing.

The next morning I checked my email and no update that my order had shipped however on my BE order page it showed a tracking number that was added at 3AM. I woke up around 8:30 AM and the tracking still hadn't updated it showed that the package had not even been dropped off to FedEx. I started to panic because it was now almost 9AM and how could the package arrive in one day if it hadn't even been shipped? I got on chat again with Ashley B and she said that it is highly unusual that my tracking isnt updated and she would email me within the hour. I asked Ashley B where my ring would ship from and she told me their warehouse in California. Being that I live in AZ, I felt that it was possible that even if they dropped my package off at FedEx at 10AM that it might still arriving within the same day.

Four hours later and no word, I chatted again on BE and got Ashley B again. She said that my order is being delayed because the jewelers need 'more time' to work on my setting, and because they offer lifetime warranties on the settings they have to go through 3 levels of QC before being ready to ship. I ordered the most simple solitaire that BE sells (petite comfort fit in 14K RG) but I thought, fine whatever. I am a little annoyed that they waited to tell me this until AFTER they marked the order as shipped, but it is what it is.
_____

The next day (Wednesday the 11th) my tracking finally updated. It was shipping from New York (Not CA like Ashley previously told me). It arrived on Wednesday. My SO works nights and was sleeping when it arrived but I promised to wait until he was awake to open it so we could open it together. About 3 and a half hours after it was delivered he was awake and we opened it. Upon opening it I noticed several things. 1) BE did not ship my diamond certificate 2) BE did not ship my free pair of earrings 3) My stone was loose in the setting (remember, my order was delayed because this setting needed more time to be 'perfected' so it was up to their standards) 4) The setting was extremely tall

Here is a link to the video of the loose stone (listen with sound for the full horror) and the tall setting (I understand a setting being 'too tall' is mostly personal preference so I am not dinging it against BE but it did bother me). I sent the video of the loose stone to my BE rep I placed my order with (Madison).

Madison didn't reply so I called their customer service line. That line rang and rang and rang for over a minute so I redialed the phone number and went the route to place a new order. A representative picked up right away and it was Ashley B (lol. does anyone else work here?) When I told her my name she knew my order right away as I had been chatting with her a lot. I questioned why they didn't even send me my diamond certificate and why my order was delayed for QC and then the ring arrives loose like this. She told me that they are holding my certificate because they didn't want to delay my order and that it would ship 'sometime next week'. I told her that was sketchy and that I want my return window extended to 30 days after my FULL order arrives. She told me absolutely not, your return window is Jan 9th. (Remember, all orders placed Nov 1- Dec 15 are extended return windows until Jan 15). She told me that I would need to send my ring back to be tightened and that it would be 5-7 weeks until it was returned because of the high volume for the holidays. This means, if they mess the setting up again, by the time it is back in my hands my return and repair window will be closed so I will be screwed. I told her that I absolutely did not feel comfortable shipping my ring back for a repair when I don't even have my diamond certificate. She then, strongly implied that the stone being loose was likely my fault as the rings go through 3 rounds of QC before shipment. She told me if I even wanted to return the setting and keep the stone that I would have to send the whole ring back and they'd return my loose stone, I can't have the stone removed locally and it would be 5-7 weeks before my stone was returned. I asked if they could expedite the repair or return process as this ring should not have been sent out in this condition and she said laughed and said no. I hung up.

Madison finally emailed me back and said the same thing - I need to ship it back for a repair and that my certificate would be coming 'sometime next week'. At this point I absolutely didn't feel confident in BE's ability to fix the setting nor am I okay with a possible 2 month wait for a ring that we were hoping to use for a Christmas proposal. Now we are having to eat the cost of the setting and get something new. Madison also reminded me (on email, so I have this in writing) that my return window closes on Jan 9th and that they would absolutely not extend my 30 days even though the certificate is missing because 'we sent you the stone you ordered'. I emailed her back questioning where she pulled Jan 9th from considering she told me herself on the phone that I had until Jan 15th. She has yet to reply.

So in summary,
1) BE lied about the shipping origin of my ring.
2) BE delayed my order to perfect the setting and sent out the setting with the stone loose
3) BE tried to lie to me about my return window twice
4) BE refused to give me a solid date about when I would be receiving my diamond cert

and now that leads us to present day. I made this PriceScope acc just to post this review. I posted my review to a FB group and reddit and ever since then, BE has been calling me non stop. They are holding my diamond certificate (and free earrings) hostage because of my reviews. They keep insisting I call them to 'work it out' but I told them I only feel comfortable emailing so I have it in writing. A manager emailed me and apologized for their reps giving me the wrong return window date and agreed it was the 15th but said that because of the holiday season it is actually closer to 8 weeks for a return or repair. He insisted that I call him ASAP to work something out.

Please think twice before supporting this company. If you have any issues once they have your money, you're screwed.

Did you get your refund?

rogue

Shiny_Rock
Yes, would love to hear an update about what happened with this!

Pearl19

Shiny_Rock
I too would like to hear the outcome. I ordered something from BE on 15th November (a stock item which showed as available and ready for delivery in two days). After several inaccurate shipping dates came and went, I enquired by email a week ago and was assured I would have it on 14th December, but the estimated delivery date has changed again (as it has several times since I placed my order). It seems this could be a ploy to keep customers hanging around, thinking their goods are on the way. In fact my item status has read as 'on its way' since 1st December.

It looks like I'll need to ask for a refund as this is clearly not going to arrive for the birthday it was intended for. If the OP doesn't mind, I'll add my experiences here and will update in due course.

emdee1122

Rough_Rock
Actually, I purchased a moissanite ring from Jonathan and had a ton of problems with him, too.

Really interested in what your experience was, as I've been considering Jonathan for a LGD.

Reactions: Kya

Alybetter

Brilliant_Rock
Really interested in what your experience was, as I've been considering Jonathan for a LGD.

I’m not the original poster, but I thought I’d share my very recent experience purchasing an LGD from Jon. In a nutshell, it was a perfect experience. Jon and Vicki were responsive, they answered all my questions, made special shipping arrangements and the stone (of course) is beautiful.
I believe all (or at least most) of his LGD are CVD and subject to stria. I know he hand vets them, and he will answer honestly if there are flaws in a particular diamond.
I’m sorry this particular OP had issues during her experience with Jon. I’m sure it’s bound to happen to/with any vendor. But I also think it’s few and far between with him, and that you’d be hard pressed to find many people with negative things to say about Jon or his company.
If you’re curious, reach out to him :)

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
FYI everyone - this is a very old thread and BE is today a totally different company with new management.
They recently listed on the stock market so they are now an open to all business.
Much as I might wish that were true, Brilliant Earth's filings with the US Security & Exchange Commission & its own website for investors show that the top people in place in 2019 -- Beth Gerstein, Eric Grossberg, and Jeff Kuo -- remain the key players on current management team:
The same triumvirate that was heading up BE 2 years ago when BE was violating state and federal law (and Yelp's Terms of Service for Business Accounts) by seeking to condition refunds on the execution of a written agreement requiring the customer to not post negative reviews of BE or otherwise disparage BE -- and to keep the existence of the (unlawful) agreement secret. Agreement is in post #298 of this Colored Stones forum thread, which also includes reports from other BE customers:

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'd happened to come across Motley Fool's transcript of BE's 3rd Quarter earnings call last month
so that's why I knew Beth Gerstein and Jeff Kuo are still on top. (I rolled my eyes more than once as I was reading the transcript of that earnings call!)

Hard to make a dollar selling diamonds online.
They are commodities

Pearl19

Shiny_Rock
FYI everyone - this is a very old thread and BE is today a totally different company with new management.
They recently listed on the stock market so they are now an open to all business.

The new management seems to have the same level of customer service as the old team - or perhaps a little worse. There are a lot of reviews in all corners of the web.

I'm hoping they'll process my refund promptly.

Pearl19

Shiny_Rock
After emailing Brilliant Earth and requesting an immediate refund, I've had a reply which basically ignored my request, and said 'please call xxx xxx xxxx at your convenience and a member of our team will help you find something similar. The item you ordered is not in stock'.

I've replied and said I do not want to order something else, I simply want my money back. If I don't get my money back within a reasonable timescale I will go to Paypal and see if they can do a chargeback based on non-delivery of goods.

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
Brilliant Earth, BRLT, is a STRONG 100% recommendation to buy on Robinhood. Guess they're doing something right :silenced:

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
I had an unpleasant experience with them over the summer.

Contacted them to get a copy of an IGI report for a lab Blue I purchased a few years ago.
Was told that my husband had to contact them and get the OK for them to release the information to me.
When I asked why, I was told because his name was on the credit card.

Just so you know, I created the account, my name is the one that you see when you log in, and it was also shipped to me, my name, not my husbands.
The only reason his name appears at all is because at the time of purchase, I'm guessing his wallet was just closer to me than my own so I used a card in his name. Mind you, we share the same cards so I didn't even think twice.
Either way, they requested he contact them to "allow" me get a copy of the report.

You gotta understand that when a woman is told she needs her husbands permission for something she is entirely responsible for, it makes most of us very angry.

It went to a manager and she reiterated the same thing- "need your husbands permission." Chris was working from home and heard the entire exchange, took the phone from me and was like "WTH, are you serious? My wife bought it!" Still, he had to OK them emailing me a copy of the report.

Can you imagine.. getting divorced and wanting to sell you ring, but you can't get a copy of the cert because your ex purchased it and you now need their approval??

It was a very unpleasant experience and I would never buy from them again.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results