shape
carat
color
clarity

The same ring every day

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
I has just struck me that I could soon be wearing the same ring every day for the rest of my life, and it''s kinda blowing my mind a little.

One man for the rest of my life? no problem - I''d do it in a heartbeat. One ring? - wait a minute ...what?

All my life I''ve been a jewellery girl and different time periods of my life could be marked by the baubles I wore.
That necklace that went with everything that I wore for 3 years straight in highschool, that claddagh ring from my highschool sweetheart, those earrings that were a lucky find and followed me overseas and back. That special chunk of fake turquiose that was so hip when I was in college. etc.etc.

And everytime I wanted to stretch out and grow and become new again, and essential part of the process was restocking the jewel box.

And now - one ring that will become a part of me as my mother''s ring is a part of her.

I think I''m growing up a little.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/6/2010 2:57:45 AM
Author:HopeDream
I has just struck me that I could soon be wearing the same ring every day for the rest of my life, and it's kinda blowing my mind a little.

One man for the rest of my life? no problem - I'd do it in a heartbeat. One ring? - wait a minute ...what?

All my life I've been a jewellery girl and different time periods of my life could be marked by the baubles I wore.
That necklace that went with everything that I wore for 3 years straight in highschool, that claddagh ring from my highschool sweetheart, those earrings that were a lucky find and followed me overseas and back. That special chunk of fake turquiose that was so hip when I was in college. etc.etc.

And everytime I wanted to stretch out and grow and become new again, and essential part of the process was restocking the jewel box.

And now - one ring that will become a part of me as my mother's ring is a part of her.

I think I'm growing up a little.
Oh.. I know exactly what you mean. Committing to one ring - one design - is downright scary! And it's supposed to be finding the forever guy that's the tough part..

ArtistJess

Shiny_Rock
upgrades are a beautiful thing
9.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/6/2010 3:10:27 AM
Author: ArtistJess
9.gif
the husband or the Ering? or both?
33.gif

PavePrincess

Shiny_Rock
Good thing you chose something beautiful and classic!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

My bf said I''m not allowed to upgrade.. BUT, that''s why I''m happy that I have 9 other fingers.. :) Plus, you still have a neck, wrists and ears that need to be clothed. It''s not like you can only wear 1 ring for the rest of your life.. just one finger is partially taken.. partially, as in, there''s still room for 1 or 2 wedding bands..
2.gif

lilyfoot

Brilliant_Rock
I has just struck me that I could soon be wearing the same ring every day for the rest of my life, and it''s kinda blowing my mind a little.

One man for the rest of my life? no problem - I''d do it in a heartbeat. One ring? - wait a minute ...what?
oh, THIS must''ve been why it took me MONTHS to pick out a setting
3.gif

It is scary! I just tried my best to choose something classic, something I didn''t think I would get sick of (as opposed to something "trendy"). But it''s still scary!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Hopedream, I know what you mean! Its scary. I''ve only had two major inspirations, the Tiffany Legacy for a few years, and then this ring below. A lifetime is just so long. My fingers might change sizes, which is also weird to think of when it comes to considering coverage.

Callisto

Brilliant_Rock
Ditto! I've been looking at settings for over a year now and can't find something I like for more than a few months. My trouble is that I want something classic but also unique. Im just not a standard solitare girl but its hard to find something that won't go out of style but is also a bit off the beaten path... ugh I don't want to think about actually having to make this decision.

Also SO is not a fan of upgrades or modifications. I'm sure if I really wanted one he'd agree to let me change my set, but I know it's not something he wants to do.

Agreed- finding the guy seems easy compared to this task.

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
It took me 30 years to find the right guy and right relationship, and only 3 months to find the right ring (though that was AFTER we were married).

There were lots of things that went into finding the right guy and relationship, including a lot of life lessons along the way, and too much to detail here...but for the ring, I just went with something that seemed classic yet in some way also uniquely reflected my own personality and tastes. Of course, I find myself admiring different rings all the time, but I am pretty aware of what is a longstanding underlying personal taste by this point versus liking something for the moment. I gave a lot of thought to what would be comfortable for the next few decades, that was a bit of fun and off-beat, and yet still traditional. Once I figured out what elements were important to me, it was easy! I ended up going custom though as nothing out there quite fit "me" entirely.

Ring styles go in and out of style in the broader sense, but what YOUR style is may be a lot more enduring. That, and I think an e-ring and wedding ring are a bit different in that they don't go out of style in the pure sense they symbolize the commitment. I know many women who wear rings that are considered "dated" to their time and absolutely still adore their rings and would not change them out for anything.

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hear you! I have had 3 settings already and I''m still not happy. I think as long as you keep the diamond upgrade to a minimum, changing settings when your tastes change isn''t so bad.

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
that''s actually one of the reasons I didn''t want an e-ring and already have 5 stacking rings as wedding bands.. commit to my husband forever? done. Commit to a ring forever? nooooo :)

Pushin40

Brilliant_Rock

All my life I''ve been a jewellery girl and different time periods of my life could be marked by the baubles I wore.

And now - one ring that will become a part of me as my mother''s ring is a part of her.

I think I''m growing up a little.
This is exactly who I chose a classic 3 stone ring.
Nothing funky, nothing trendy. Just classic and beautiful!

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Yssie, ArtistJess, PavePrincess, Lillyfoot, Indylady, Callisto, Raikai, Happynewlife, Maevie, Pushin40: I knew you ladies would understand!

Committing to one metal colour is difficult because I have jewelery in both yellow and white gold. I''m definately glad I''ve chosen something very simple and hopefully timeless. I''m relying on the AVc''s trick of picking up surrounding colors - to keep me interested and keep it looking stylish.

Yssie - It''s funny, I didn''t realize it would be this hard.

ArtistJess - Yes, that''s what''s keeping me from feeling claustrobhobic about my decision - I will always have options.

DF - I''m sure your wife would agree with me: the stone is eternaly upgradeable, but the husband''s a keeper
12.gif
2.gif
12.gif
(no upgrades necessary
31.gif
31.gif
31.gif
)

PavePrincess - Good point! I do have lots of jewellery vacancies just waiting to be filled....hmmmm
27.gif

Lillyfoot - Your setting is gorgeous and timeless I can see whay it took months to settle. I only took about a day to decide on a setting because I had already been scoping out rings for over a year, and it felt like a very natural decision so I''m not too worried.

Indylady - The tiffany legacy is gorgeous! I can''t see your other ring, but I''m sure it''s pretty too. I''m hoping my finger just doesn''t change sizes - my stature has remained pretty much the same for over 10 years, so hopefuly mu ring size will too.

Callisto- I wonder if a singlestone setting would work for you - do you like nouveau antique?

Raikai - I did try to find something that felt like me (functional, estheticaly pleasing, and relatively unique) and I think that the AVC realy reflects my appreciation for older style goods. You''re right about the symbolic timelessness of the wedding set as a part of our cultural identity. I''m sure I''ll continue to love it even if it''s no longer "fashionable"

Happynewlife - Keep looking! I''m sure that your perfect setting is out there somewhere. Yeah, changing my mind too often could get realy expensive realy fast.

Maevie - You''re a girl after my own heart - one of my secret dreams is to have a wedding set in each metal color so I can change them up to match my accessories - (I hope BF doesn''t find me too frivolous - I think matching is important!)

Pushin40 - I''m sure your well though out choice will keep you contented for many years to come.

Callisto

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/6/2010 4:39:47 PM
Author: HopeDream

Callisto- I wonder if a singlestone setting would work for you - do you like nouveau antique?

UGH I LOVE SINGLESTONE! But its sooo expensive and my budget is sooo limited haha. I also don't like their center stones (I'd like a GOG cushion or OEC) and I heard its even more expensive if not impossible to buy just a setting from them. That's definitely the style I like though.

luckynumber

Brilliant_Rock
yes, simple and classic will work best in the long run.

1.gif

4ever

Ideal_Rock
If I ever win lotto
22.gif
I will have multiple wedding sets to change between to suit my mood. Massive wedding sets
11.gif

This may be difficult since I don't play lotto... but BF does and one can dream
5.gif

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can completely relate to this! When i got engaged, I originally wanted a three stone sapphire ring. But i started thinking about what i would want to wear forever and i knew i had always wanted an eternity band -- i love the way they look and i could wear it all the time. When my DH and i started looking for rings, i told him i would LOVE an eternity band, rather than a traditional engagement ring. We finally found something perfect, that would have some presence and stand out, but would be wearable every day.

I LOVE my ring, but i often think of what could be paired with it in the future
2.gif

ArtistJess

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/6/2010 3:22:09 AM
Author: Dancing Fire
Date: 5/6/2010 3:10:27 AM

Author: ArtistJess

9.gif
the husband or the Ering? or both?
33.gif

well the ring, of course
3.gif

KittyGolightly

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/6/2010 4:39:47 PM
Author: HopeDream

Committing to one metal colour is difficult because I have jewelery in both yellow and white gold. I''m definately glad I''ve chosen something very simple and hopefully timeless. I''m relying on the AVc''s trick of picking up surrounding colors - to keep me interested and keep it looking stylish.
I wear both yellow and white gold too. I have to say I''ve been drooling over some of the rings that people have been posting recently in SMTR that are platinum with rose gold heads. Such a nice combo.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven''t committed to one ring.

I have 2 diamond rings (the original and one I bought later) and 6-8 bands (the 2 I originally got married with and others I''ve bought over the years). There''s absolutely no reason to commit to just one set! None of mine are expensive, but I love having the choices...or not wearing any of them at all sometimes!

DuckLovingVegan

Shiny_Rock
I wouldn''t mind at all wearing the same ring everyday because it''s the ring I picked out(hopefully b/f got the hint) or the one he picked out (at least that''s what I keep telling myself lol). The ring would mean so much to me because he picked it out and I would never want to upgrade. I''m also not really a jewlery person so that would be the only rings I would wear.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
One ring?! What is this committing to one ring that you speak of?!

Note: Top left ring is not worn as an ering, it is my RHR of choice. Also, note that the lavender ring in the top right hand corner is paired with my plain wedding band (the *real* one) and an engraved wedding band (the not so real one)...which just goes to show you don't have to stick with one wedding band either. (Having said that, I wear the two bands together more than I wear the plain band with an ering!)

ETA: I have three others that are currently in the works.

freke ering all collage.jpg

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
These are fabulous, Freke. Two questions for you:

1) Do you have a picture of your legacy-esque RHR with the engraved fake-wedding band?

2) Do you mind sharing where you got your fake wedding band?

My e-ring has the diamonds going along the sides and I''m debating whether or not to pair it with a diamond wedding band or if I should go stoneless and do an engraved band instead, and your faux band has the look I think I would love most.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/8/2010 5:25:46 PM
Author: AustenNut
These are fabulous, Freke. Two questions for you:

1) Do you have a picture of your legacy-esque RHR with the engraved fake-wedding band?

2) Do you mind sharing where you got your fake wedding band?

My e-ring has the diamonds going along the sides and I''m debating whether or not to pair it with a diamond wedding band or if I should go stoneless and do an engraved band instead, and your faux band has the look I think I would love most.
1. I do not have one, but I can take one later.
2. It is an antique and I bought it secondhand on a bulletin board/classified posting that is attached to another forum, so I can''t link to it. I''d look on ebay, bonanzle, etc.

If it helps at all before I get the picture taken, that lavender ring has diamonds in the band (VERY tiny though). I like them together since they are both antique. I was actually wearing the fake band on my RHR with Big Blue on my wedding day, so at least it was present for the vows!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Heres a pic.

IMG_9065.JPG

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Ooh, thanks so much, Freke! I really like the look of them together. Instead of having more than 1 engagement ring I might have more than 1 wedding band. A diamond one and an engraved one. Or maybe just an engraved one. Ahh, decisions! I really appreciate your help!

jasmine2011

Rough_Rock
frekechild- i love the look of your colored stone rings in the basic solitaire settings! i have been looking for setting with a really thin rose gold shank and prongs. any ideas? it''s for a light champagne/slightly pinkish round sapphire. i have a rose gold diamond eternity band to wear it with so i am looking for something really delicate and simple.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
(Sorry OP for the threadjack!)

Hi jasmine, I would look on ebay of all places. The blue spinel posted above (the larger of the 4 pronged blue stones) is set in a 14kt wg setting from Liebcor on ebay. I know that they have the same ring in rose gold, so you should check with their listings. Other than that I''d say just poke around ebay and see what you can find. Hope that helps!

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Callisto - I know the pains of a limited budget - maybe one day you could do a singlestone RHR?

Luckynumber - I agree - simple and classic all the way. Trendy things end up looking dated more quickly than most expect.

4ever - I hope that you win the lotto soon (or have a nicely diversified investment portfolio making you interest for diamonds).

Violet3 - The rings in your avatar are gorgeous and look like they would stack well with any future additions.

ArtistJess - Don''t mind DF - he''s just trouble
2.gif

Kittlygolightly - I seriously considered a two tone ring for the longest time, and might still do one as a RHR. I hadn''t heard of the platinum rose gold combo. *goes to investigate platinum and rose gold rings*

Addy - I suspect that I''ll be following in your footsteps and acquiring many bands over the years.

DuckLovingVegan - You''ll be happily content with your set for a long time. I''m looking forward to becoming a bit sentimental about my ring too.

Frekechild - You are truly an inspiration to us all! I am in awe of your glorious collection - so many options! The pics are just fabulous! Second hand treasures are my favorite. Your expertice in hard to find stones and settings is much appreciated.

AustenNut - When in doubt get two wedding bands? or engraved with a few diamonds?

Jasmine2011 - That sounds like it would make a beautiful ring - good luck on your hunt.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the sentimentality, but stack...stack...and stack some more - no boredom here!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results