shape
carat
color
clarity

The Restaurant Thread: Post Your Faves For Us

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

beebrisk

Brilliant_Rock
This could be fun and informative.

Post your favorite 2 or 3 restaurants and why. Doesn''t have to be fancy...neighborhood places are great, too!

Include the city and even the address if possible so travelers can check out your recommendations. Photos are great, too!

I''ll start with mine:

Fave Chain: Cracker Barrel-What could be better than fried apples and hashbrown casserole??

Fave Famous Restaurant: Le Bernardin, NYC. Outrageously expensive, only been there once. Breathtakingly good!

Fave Casual: Big Bowl, Chicago. Great inexpensive Chinese/Thai. Yummmm!

Favorite NY Institution: The Palm. Steak. Just steak. And fabulous, at that!

35.gif

Here''s a big ole Cracker Barrel breakfast...!

barrel.jpg

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
My top two are definitely Kobe''s and Cheesecake Factory.

Kobe''s is a Japanese Steakhouse. It''s beyond delicious. That''s our once every two to three months treat.

And I just love Cheesecake Factory. Everytime I travel, I look for a cheesecake in the area
3.gif

Aside from that I also do like On The Border when I''m in the mood for American-Mexican.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ll play!

Favorite Breakfast: The West Egg - Chicago, IL. The Broken Egg - Ann Arbor, MI, Orange - Chicago, IL (As you can tell, I''m a breakfast person!)

Favorite Sushi: Yamato Ann Arbor, MI

Favorite Nice Dinner: Gratzi - Ann Arbor, MI

Favorite Local Dinner: Zingerman''s Roadhouse - Ann Arbor, MI

Favorite Deli: Stage Deli - West Bloomfield, MI

Favorite Dessert: La Dolce Vita - Ann Arbor, MI , The Melting Pot - Novi, MI (Lots of Locations!)

Favorite Chain - The Melting Pot - Novi, MI

Favorite Local Bar - Ashleys - Ann Arbor, MI

That''s all for now, as you can tell, there''s lots of great places to eat in Ann Arbor!

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Favorite Chain- Charleston''s. It''s not a huge chain, but there are a few in the OKC metro area as well as Omaha and Fort Worth.

Favorite Restaurant- Bravos in Edmond, Oklahoma or Tunero in Fort Worth.

Best expensive place- Nonna''s in Oklahoma City

Most memorable- Tavern on the Green

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock

Breakfast:

Hob Nob Hill, 1st Ave, San Diego

The Original Pancake House, Bellevue, Chicago

Yolk, Michigan Avenue (South Loop), Chicago

Lunch:

Hob Nob Hill, 1st Ave, San Diego

The Gathering, Washington Street, San Diego

Dinner:

Everest, La Salle Street, Chicago

Cafe Boulud, East 76th, NYC

Bouley, West Broadway, NYC

Lucier, River SW, Portland, OR

Nine-Ten, Prospect Street, San Diego

El Bizcocho, Bernardo Oaks Dr., San Diego

And thereis'' an Italian restaurant in the greater Phoenix area that is amazing, but the name has escaped me, I''ll be back when I remember.

beebrisk

Brilliant_Rock
Oh Elledizzy....LOVE West Egg in Chicago!
I should have put that on my list.
It''s a perfect breakfast!

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I need to preface this with...I love food :)

Favorite chain: Chili''s (chicken enchillada soup)

Favorite ethnic: Escobar''s in Champaign, Illinois (South American fusion) OR Bayern Stube in Gibson City, Illlinois (Bavarian) OR Kamakura in Champaign (Japanese)

Favorite casual: Addison''s in Columbia, Missouri or Central Station in Bloomington, Illinois, The Great Impasta in Champaign, IL

Favorite upscale: Maldaner''s in Springfield, Illinois (Queen of Sheba - I have dreams about it) - it''s probably still considered casual dining, but it''s Springfield, so comparatively upscale :)

Favorite locals: Los Agaves, Graze, Blue Cat, Exotic Thai, Trattoria Tirimisu, Red Crow Grille, Biaggi''s, Osaka (Quad Cities, Iowa/IL)

Favorite pub: Maggie Miley''s in Normal, Illinois or Flat Branch in Columbia, MO or The Heidelberg in Columbia, MO

Favorite pizza: Shakespeare''s in Columbia, MO; Avanti''s in Normal, IL; Giordano''s in Chicago; Monical''s in Champaign, IL

Favorite vegetarian: The Coffee House in Normal, IL

Favorite coffee: The Coffee Hound (downtown) Bloomington and Normal, IL; Cafe Kopi (downtown) Champaign, IL

Favorite breakfast: Zorba''s in Normal, IL, Le Peep in Champaign, IL, and Riefe''s in Davenport, IA (homemade, warm doughnut holes)

Favorite late dinner: Radio Maria, Boltini, and Farren''s (downtown) Champaign, IL

Favorite sandwich: Potbelly (chain), Avanti''s, Normal, IL; and McAllister''s (chain)

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/15/2008 10:06:58 AM
Author: KimberlyH

Breakfast:

The Original Pancake House, Bellevue, Chicago

Kimberly, this is my son''s favorite breakfast place. He always used to go eat there w/his Grandpa and loves their 49ers pancakes! He can''t wait to visit and go there again.

Some of my favorites:
Breakfast- Thyme and Honey, Forest Park, IL (suburb of Chgo)
Ann Sather, Chgo, IL **absolute best cinnamon rolls
Lunch - Whole Foods (hot foods and salad bar), Roosevelt Ave. in Chgo, IL
Couscous, Taylor St. in Chgo, IL
Dinner - Grape Leaves, Oak Park, IL (suburb of Chgo) **great couscous, chicken and veggies dish
Tuscany, Chgo, IL
Maggiano''s, Chgo, IL **my favorite spaghetti w/meatballs
Shaw''s, Chgo, IL

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
breakfast : McDonalds Chicken Biscuits with honey
Lunch : Atlanta bread - soup and sandwich I get a turkey sandwich thing and cream of broccoli soup
Dinner: Moes - I get a moo SO gets a Billy Barou, I know how silly but I love their food!
Sush - Rolls n'' Bowls Great little sushi place in town
Nice Dinner - Mildred''s in Gville, it''s a smaller restaurant with great food and a fantastic wine selection
Deli - I don''t really know, not much of a deli visitor
Dessert - Bally Hoo in Gville - banana''s foster YUM
Chain - Moes... duh
Local Bar - Calico Jack''s in Gville , great food, fun atmosphere
Ethnic - I love to go to Las Margaritas for some really down home Mexican, they have great food, low prices, and the food piles.
Casual - Kazbor''s is a bar and grill type place with big screens, great food, good wraps and burgers
Pizza - WPB has a place called Sal''s, it''s an Italian restaurant but they have the most amazing pizza!
Coffee - Starbucks

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Mimi''s: NYC, somewhere on the Upper East Side. Not sure where. We were walking to the park from his cousin''s apartment at 86 & Lex and I was almost fainting from hunger. My ziti wasn''t anything special, but we''re still dreaming of the chicken primavera.

Papaya King: NYC. Best. Hotdog. Ever. (Any travel channel junkies will know it as Anthony Bourdain''s favourite hotdog spot.)

Mantra: Pattaya, Thailand. Interesting fusion with 9 different kitchens. Probably expensive. (We weren''t paying.) Nicer than any restaurant in Pattaya should be. Some of the best food I''ve ever had.

Best single dish: S-11 chicken rice in Singapore. In the hawker center across from the Singapore American School there is the best chicken rice I''ve ever had. Maybe because it was "our" spot in HS, I don''t know, but the food is delicious. Mmmmm.

Best sangria: H2O in Bilbao, Spain (On the right about a block and a half past the Deusto metro stop). Great little neighbourhood place, right downstairs from where my boyfriend lived. Great (though grumpy looking) owner. The more they know you, the more liquor you get.

Salsa''s: Charlotte, NC. GREAT cheese dip. Margaritas the size of your head (and that''s just the medium). GREAT CHEESE DIP.

joflier

Ideal_Rock
18.gif
This thread is making my mouth water. I don''t eat out too much, but I absolutely luv the Melting Pot!! I''m going there tomorrow night in fact, for ladies night!!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Fun thread!!! Okay, my local favorites here in Albuquerque! Santa Fe and Taos is a whole other post. hehe

Regular hang out; consistantly good food and easy place to meet friends: Il Vicino Pizza and Brewery (they have great salads and just darn nice people)

Favorite upper scale: Zinc on Central (great food; I love their tasting menu and wines they serve) and Savoy (owned by the same people; great food and wine)

Favorite breakfast spot: the Frontier (total dive and I go there once in awhile) and I end up at Golden Pride on Central (also owned by the Fronter but a little newer)

Favorite bakery: Golden Crown Panaderia (yummiest biscochitos that taste homemade)

Favorite Greek food: Olympia Cafe (I love this place for homemade Greek food and just a super laid back feel)

Favorite barbecue: County Line (best bread and brisket and awesome view of the city)

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Silver Dollar: Atlanta, next to Grady High School Homestyle food, famous banana pudding

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
skippy
too bad the arabian horse nationals got moved to Oklahoma vs. alb. Sigh, maybe I''ll find a reason to go there someday

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Favorite Chain: The Melting Pot.

Favorite Nice Restaurant: Andina, NW Glisan & 13th, Portland, OR (Peruvian food--they have an AMAZING happy hour, too!)

Favorite Place for Drinks: Vault Martini, NW 12th & Foster-ish, Portland, OR

Favorite Mexican: A tie between Los Arroyos in Santa Barbara, CA (for nicer mexican) and Freebirds in Santa Barbara (for an awesome gigantic mission-style burrito)

Favorite Happy Hour: Uptown Billiards Club, NW 24th, Portland, OR (5 course tasting menu for $10, paired with wines for another $10)

That''s all I can think of for now!

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my God, for me it would have to be Bistro by the Sea in Morehead City North Carolina. They have a she-crab bisque there that will curl your tastebuds. I absolutely love it. Their bread is to die for too, hot and sprinkled with parmesean

http://www.bistro-by-the-sea.com/home.htm

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Ah, let''s see...

In Houston

Vic and Anthony''s for steak. They have the best crab cakes ever, hands down.
Mark''s for a nice, elegant, well prepared meal.

Fuddruckers for a greasy hamburger
Ninfas on Navigation, total TexMex

still hunting for the perfect fried shrimp, lots of contenders though.
Ocean in the Galleria is ok. Pappas is still pretty good

Tiny Boxwoods for a girls lunch

In Maui

The Fairmont Hotel. Best fish and atmosphere
Mama''s Fish House, don''t get no betta than Mama''s !

On the road,

Cracker Barrel, got to have your veggies. Much better than MacDonalds

NYC

Just recently returned. Best restaurant we tried was The Modern. Also tried Veritas.
For 6 nights we tried something different. The deli pizza stood out the most!!

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
This is fun!

Favorite local place: Sakura Do in Hershey, PA -- it is half Italian and half Japanese. So I can go and order a chicken parm. entree with a side of spring roles (and their Japanese menu is really extensive) which is perfect for someone like me who loves to try all different kinds of sushi, but would not like a whole meal of it.

Favorite for lunch: 1. Olive Garden. I know it''s overexposed, but I LOVE being able to get soup and salad for lunch.
2. Isaac''s Diner. Great sandwich options. It''s a chain around here.

Favorite burger: Fudruckers! I LOVE their veggie burgers most actually!

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
My Favorites

Dim Sum/Chinese Restaurant
Restaurant Peony - Oakland, CA
Great China Restaurant - Berkeley, CA (Best Peking Duck Ever)
Lu Din Gee - San Gabriel, Ca (Good Peking Duck)
Din Tai Fung Dumpling House - Arcadia, CA (Really Good Dumpling)

Pizza
Zachary''s Pizza - Oakland, CA (Yummy Deep Dish)

Coffee
Caffe Strada - Berkeley, CA (used to study here)
Starbucks

Seafood
Fisherman''s Outlet - Los Angeles, CA (Best Crab Cake)
PPQ Dungeness Island Vietnamese Cuisine - San Francisco, CA (Yummy Peppercron Crab & Garlic Noodle)
The Boiling Crab - Alhambra, CA (Cajun Seafood)
Kingfish - San Mateo, CA

Fusion
The House - San Francisco, CA
Maison Akira - Pasadena, CA
White Lotus - Hollywood, CA
Le Cheval - Oakland, CA

Japanese
Curry House - Los Angeles, CA
Ichima Sushi - Pasadena, CA
Toyko Wako - Pasadena, CA (Teppanyaki)
Yoshida - San Marino, CA
Shabu Shabu House - Los Angeles, CA
Sushi Roku - Pasadena, CA
Kirala - Berkeley, CA
Tomodachi Sushi Bistro - Hayward, CA
Sushi House - Alameda, CA

Steak
Alexander''s Steakhouse - Cupertino, CA
Gaucho Grill - Pasadena, CA

Meditterranean
Cafe Santorini - Pasadena, CA
Shamshirri Restaurant - Glendale, CA
Raffi''s Place Restaurant - Glendale, CA

Burgers/Hot Dogs
In-And-Out Burgers
Barney''s Gourmet Hamburgers - Oakland, CA
Top Dog - Berkeley, CA

Korean
Koryo Wooden Charcoal BBQ - Oakland, CA
Sam Won BBQ House - Oakland, CA
So Gong Dong Tofu House - Milpitas, CA
Kawha Korean B-B-Que - Walnut, CA
BCD Tofu House - Los Angeles, CA

Thai
Sabuy Sabuy - Oakland, CA
Thai Paradise - Alhambra, CA

Californian
Garibaldi''s - Oakland, CA

Italian
Il Pescatore - Oakland, CA
Pasta? - Palo Altos, CA
Petrillos - San Gabriel, CA

Dessert
Pinkberry
Cheesecake Factory (Godiva cheesecake is awesome)
Tutti Gelati - Pasadena, CA
Sprinkles (Cupcakes)
Crumbs (Cupcakes)
Dots Cupcakes - Pasadena, CA
Perfectly Sweet - Alhambra, CA
Porto''s - Glendale, CA
Phoenix Food Boutique - Alhambra, CA (Chinese desserts)

Oops I think I listed too many.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Here are a few of mine - I live in san diego, so most of the places are from there, but there are a couple from other places I remember.

continental - Philly, PA -fusion

The Prado - San Diego, CA - fusion

Sevilla - San Diego, CA - Spanish food

Kemo Sabe - San Diego, CA - Aisian Fusion

The Crest - San Diego, CA - great for a classic american breakfast

The Grove - San Francisco, CA - great for coffee, breakfast, lunch.

Bronx Pizza - San Diego, CA - east coast pizza on the west coast

Rays - San Diego, CA great local mexican place

I will post more if I think of them.

kittybean

Ideal_Rock

And thereis'' an Italian restaurant in the greater Phoenix area that is amazing, but the name has escaped me, I''ll be back when I remember.

Could it be Oregano''s?

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
Yum yum! My categories may be a little non-standard, but here goes:

Favorite pancakes (tie): Country Corner Cafe, Saratoga Springs, NY; Sears Fine Food, San Francisco, CA

Favorite crepes: Beau Monde, Philadelphia, PA

Favorite lemonade: Sweet Basil, Vail, CO (the raspberry lemonade was seriously good enough to deserve its own category, and the food -- especially dessert -- wasn''t half bad either!)

Favorite chains: Penang (Malaysian); Ruby''s Diner

Favorite Spanish/tapas: Tinto, Philadelphia, PA, followed closely by its sister Amada, across town

Favorite restaurants I''ll probably never make it to again: Aqua El Due, Florence, Italy; York Cafe, Bristol, England

Favorite hippie, tree-hugging restaurant: Autumn Cafe, Oneonta, NY (the hot open veggie on brown rice is just delish)

Favorite special occasion restaurant: The Fountain at the Four Seasons, Philadelphia, PA (especially if you can get a view of the fountain)

Favorite less-usual ethnic restaurants: Divan Turkish Kitchen, Philadelphia, PA; a tiny, hole-in-the-wall Peruvian restaurant in Arlington, VA, which I''d love to find again someday but I don''t know the name of

Lynnie

Brilliant_Rock
I''ll have to check out some of those Philly Restaurants!! Thanks, girls!

Some of my faves:

Local hangouts/bar/good eats: Chickies & Pete''s (fries to die for) Benny the Bum''s (yummy seafood) both in Philly

Chinese: Hunan Star - Philly

My pick for best cheesesteak: Steve''s Prince of Steaks - philly

Rita''s water ice - philly mmmm gilapie

Best wings I''ve ever had in my life: The Bayview, Wildwood Crest, NJ

Most entertaining meal: The Spirit of Philadelphia Cruise The food wasn''t bad, either

Favorite Chain: The Cheesecake Factory

Mexican: Las Margaritas, Philly enough food in one meal to last about 6 meals!

Barbeque: Sweet Lucy''s, Philly

OK, now I''m STARVING!!!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/16/2008 2:44:48 AM
Author: kittybean

And thereis' an Italian restaurant in the greater Phoenix area that is amazing, but the name has escaped me, I'll be back when I remember.

Could it be Oregano's?

Nope, I've never been there. I looked it up this morning, it's actually in Scottsdale, not Phoenix; so another addition to my list is Sassi at 10455 E. Pinnacle Peak Pkwy, Scottsdale, 85255. Not only is the food amazing and the location/decor stunning, but the waitstaff are fantastic.

ETA: Dixie, I second Shaw's! And a trip to Chicago isn't a trip to Chicago unless we visit TOPH. Harry Caray's is another fave.

April20

Ideal_Rock
Favorite Chain: Secret love of Cheesecake Factory

Favorite Mexican: Vuelve a la Vida in Tacoma, WA. Just thinking about the enchilada combo puts me into a food coma.

Favorite Southwestern: Agave, Atlanta www.agaverestaurant.com

Favorite local haunt: Universal Joint, 97 Estoria, Tin Lizzie Cantina (tacos) in Atlanta. Brickstore Pub (300 available beers) in Decatur, GA (just east of ATL)

Favorite Restaurant in general: Rathbun''s- Atlanta. www.rathbunsrestaurant.com

Favorite Vietnamese: Thanh Long- Garlic noodles and garlic roasted crab. Oh man, I want it now. San Francisco (Sunset district, corner of Judah and 46th)

Favorite Breakfast: Radial Cafe, Dekalb Ave, Atlanta They do weekend pancake and waffle specials that vary with the seasons. For example, I had pumpkin pecan pancakes last time. I''ve had oatmeal pancakes, cinnamon maple pancakes. They do a red velvet pancake that I''ve never hit the right weekend for. I want to try that one badly.

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Ooo! I forgot Cube in Los Angeles. It''s delicious! It''s located on La Brea just south of Melrose.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
I JUST ate lunch and you guys have made me hungry again!

Joes Meat Market(Shoppe?)in Rye, New Hampshire. I only get to go on vacation though which is sooo sad. I wonder if they would ship to Texas?? Their buffalo chicken sub is to die for! I even brought one across the country on the plane for my hubby when I came back from NH.

Olive Garden- LOVE their salad!

Biraperetti's(sp?) in Houston. Its Italian/Irish and I've never had a bad meal there!

McCormick & Schmicks- This is a chain. They fly in fresh seafood everyday which means that their menu changes twice daily. Yummo!

Carrabbas- I can't leave out this place! The Mezzaluna and Tagliarini Picci Pachu are really great.

RiverHouse Tea Room in Gruene, Tx- AMAZING FOOD AND TEA! Each day their quiche, soup, and freshly brewed tea changes. My fav is the blueberry tea and I even purchased some and served it at my wedding!

ammayernyc

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/15/2008 11:58:28 AM
Author: princesss
Mimi''s: NYC, somewhere on the Upper East Side. Not sure where. We were walking to the park from his cousin''s apartment at 86 & Lex and I was almost fainting from hunger. My ziti wasn''t anything special, but we''re still dreaming of the chicken primavera.
Mimi''s is on 84th and Lexington. I grew up right there and ate there all the time! The pizza was fantastic!

beebrisk

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/16/2008 2:02:47 AM
Author: qtiekiki
My Favorites

Dim Sum/Chinese Restaurant

Restaurant Peony - Oakland, CA

Great China Restaurant - Berkeley, CA (Best Peking Duck Ever)

Lu Din Gee - San Gabriel, Ca (Good Peking Duck)

Din Tai Fung Dumpling House - Arcadia, CA (Really Good Dumpling)

Pizza

Zachary''s Pizza - Oakland, CA (Yummy Deep Dish)

Coffee

Caffe Strada - Berkeley, CA (used to study here)

Starbucks

Seafood

Fisherman''s Outlet - Los Angeles, CA (Best Crab Cake)

PPQ Dungeness Island Vietnamese Cuisine - San Francisco, CA (Yummy Peppercron Crab & Garlic Noodle)

The Boiling Crab - Alhambra, CA (Cajun Seafood)

Kingfish - San Mateo, CA

Fusion

The House - San Francisco, CA

Maison Akira - Pasadena, CA

White Lotus - Hollywood, CA

Le Cheval - Oakland, CA

Japanese

Curry House - Los Angeles, CA

Ichima Sushi - Pasadena, CA

Toyko Wako - Pasadena, CA (Teppanyaki)

Yoshida - San Marino, CA

Shabu Shabu House - Los Angeles, CA

Sushi Roku - Pasadena, CA

Kirala - Berkeley, CA

Tomodachi Sushi Bistro - Hayward, CA

Sushi House - Alameda, CA

Steak

Alexander''s Steakhouse - Cupertino, CA

Gaucho Grill - Pasadena, CA

Meditterranean

Cafe Santorini - Pasadena, CA

Shamshirri Restaurant - Glendale, CA

Raffi''s Place Restaurant - Glendale, CA

Burgers/Hot Dogs

In-And-Out Burgers

Barney''s Gourmet Hamburgers - Oakland, CA

Top Dog - Berkeley, CA

Korean

Koryo Wooden Charcoal BBQ - Oakland, CA

Sam Won BBQ House - Oakland, CA

So Gong Dong Tofu House - Milpitas, CA

Kawha Korean B-B-Que - Walnut, CA

BCD Tofu House - Los Angeles, CA

Thai

Sabuy Sabuy - Oakland, CA

Thai Paradise - Alhambra, CA

Californian

Garibaldi''s - Oakland, CA

Italian

Il Pescatore - Oakland, CA

Pasta? - Palo Altos, CA

Petrillos - San Gabriel, CA

Dessert

Pinkberry

Cheesecake Factory (Godiva cheesecake is awesome)

Tutti Gelati - Pasadena, CA

Sprinkles (Cupcakes)

Crumbs (Cupcakes)

Dots Cupcakes - Pasadena, CA

Perfectly Sweet - Alhambra, CA

Porto''s - Glendale, CA

Phoenix Food Boutique - Alhambra, CA (Chinese desserts)

Wow! Do you ever eat at home???
9.gif

Thanks for the list!

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
Beebrisk- Oh really, Pasta? in Palo Alto is good? We''ll definitely have to try it! We see it all the time when we are there (usually walking around looking for somewhere to eat). And I love to say the name with an accented question mark at the end. I don''t if that makes any sense... But whenever we walk by it I say "oh there''s pastA?" Like I overemphasize the question mark. Anyway, I''m not sure if I am making any sense but it definitely cracks me up everytime!
9.gif

Okay give me a moment and I will post mine....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results