color
clarity

The PP Vietnamese Pearl Sale

BWeaves

Shiny_Rock
Ah, OK. Thanks!

BWeaves

Shiny_Rock
Oh, I may regret this. I just wrote PP and asked them if they have any more dark blues left.

I could probably call them or chat, but I'm secretly hoping they say, "Sorry, just sold the last one." Cause otherwise, I'm going to be tempted.

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock
Baby nurse, your blues are so beautiful :love:
BWeaves, go for it :)

BWeaves

Shiny_Rock
I've decided to not buy yet another strand of blues at the current time. Hisano kindly sent me photos of what's left at PP, but my washing machine broke in the middle of a load of jeans yesterday, so I think my play money has to go to something practical this week.

Purranha

Rough_Rock
BWeaves - out of curiosity, would you please post the pic Hisano sent you?

BWeaves

Shiny_Rock
Purranha: I'm sorry. I deleted the e-mail.

It showed a 5-6 mm strand of roundish blues, and a 6-7 mm strand of very baroque blues.
They didn't look as dark as the previous strand she sent me, which is what I expected, but there were still pretty.

Purranha

Rough_Rock
No worries BWeaves, was just curious - thanks!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Reporting back, the Vietnamese Akoya "deep gold" strand finally arrived Thursday (http://www.pearlparadise.com/p-5575-5-6-mm-vietnamese-round-akoya-necklace-in-deep-gold.aspx) - it is really beautiful - the pearls are very well-matched as to size and color, and truly seem to glow - but in my own ignorance I was initially disappointed in the color - despite the website photos, somehow I still expected a deep gold coloration like this:

deep_gold_iimage_index.png

but IRL the gold Akoyas are actually more this color, to my eyes a creamy yellowy light gold:

gold_-_light_-_index.jpg

For comparison, here's the PP close-up photo:

pp_-_5575_2_.jpg

IRL the deep gold Akoyas are strikingly similar in color to this close-up photo [ha, surprise surprise - maybe I was the only one hung up on the "deep gold" written descriptor, versus the actual photos?].

After I received the strand, I did more research (thank you Google) on natural color gold Akoyas, and decided what PP sent to me could be described as deep gold, as compared to other gold Akoya pearls.

On my neck, these Akoyas read a glowy deep/dark yellowy cream to my eyes - which I was surprised (and happy) to find looks good on me - plus, another surprise, I really, really love the smaller size of these pearls (5-6mm). So this strand is a definite keeper. And, I went ahead and bought the similar multi-color Akoya strand, which I should receive next week.

mtsapphirelovingannie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you for posting information about the golden pearls. I hope you will post a picture of your golden strand. :D They sound lovely. I'll be interested to hear how they compare to your multi when it arrives.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Sorry if off-topic. I really hope to get to one of the big pearl shows one day, if only I can save my pearl money up long enough to pay for the trip and have spending money left for any pearls (which is doubtful)!

After all the pearl photos I've taken myself, I thoroughly get it that pearly iridescence, overtone, etc. is just very difficult to capture on camera. You only know for sure what you've got when you not only get it in person, but also get a chance to try it out against your skin, different lighting, etcetera.

Those lightish colors are especially tricky, in my experience. They can allow for a gorgeous play of overtone colors or they can just look dingy, and that's before you start with how they look against your skin tone.

I feel kind of bad sending things back but I do it anyway if it's not what I really want. I figure the pearl sellers would rather have a long term repeat customer than one who keeps something they don't really like but then hesitates to buy again...

BWeaves

Shiny_Rock
I don't feel bad sending something back. That's basically the only way to buy online. I will be a loyal customer if you have a good return policy. And I'll buy more because I know I'll never be stuck with something I don't like.

However, I do send back my items immediately. I know the good vendors have nice long return windows, but if I know something is not for me, I return it right away, so they can resell it and I can get my refund quicker.

Bailey1856

Shiny_Rock
baby nurse|1449717060|3959664 said:
I couldn't resist the little blues! I got a strand of the 5-6mm ones.

Those blues really suit you well. They look so beautiful on your neck.

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the kind words, Tucs and Bailey :))

Bailey1856

Shiny_Rock
Fly Girl|1449445889|3958361 said:
My silver pistachio strand and blue strand are here. So bright and shiny and pretty. Wearing my blue strand today with a very casual top. I love having a bit of color in my pearls, and it is a delight to have these to wear when a strand a big Tahitians might be a bit much. I'm providing neck shots so you can see the different colors. Today I have on a blue top, so the blues are the better choice here.

REd, if you ever change your mind on your pistachio strand I am interested :D

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Most gold akoya are dyed to something like the gold of a good South sea pearl. There were acres of dyed gold at the last Hong Kong show but very few natural gold strands. Natural gold is much more gentle and delicate. When you see them en masse it isn't hard to tell the difference - as with dyed and natural SSs. Be aware there are warehouses of gold SS imitation dyed bead nucleated freshwaters out there too.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results