shape
carat
color
clarity

The Polls Are Open

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

The-Betrothed

Rough_Rock
First and foremost, thanks to all those who monitor these forums so religiously and to pricescope.com for the quality free education. I am within hours of my purchase and have not needed to post yet due to the fact that nearly all of my "newbie" questions were already asked and answered on this forum.

I have narrowed my selection down to 2 stones, both from Robin and Todd at NiceIce.com. Please help me out by picking your favorite. Skip to the bottom for an endorsement of NiceIce.

Both round brilliant, G color, inert, excellent polish and symmetry

Stone A:
1.23 Carat 6.92-6.95x4.21
Clarity VS2
Depth %60.7
Table %56.9
Crown 34.2
Pavil 40.6
Culet %0.6
Girdl %1.4 (1.1-1.6)
HCA 0.7
Price $7665

Stone B:
1.3 Carat 6.95-7.00x4.30
Clarity SI1
Depth %61.7
Table %57.1
Crown 34.1
Pavil 40.7
Culet %0.6
Girdl %2.2 (1.7-2.6)
HCA 1.0
Price $7280

Note: There are slight variations on the measurements, there are two versions on the GIA cert itself and then NiceIce has its own angle measurements available. Also HCA only takes integral table percentages.

The stone is going to be set in a modified tiffany platinum by Jeff Cooper. It has a satin finish on the band with a border and one small stone (9 point) on each size.

Glowing endorsement to follow:
Todd and Robin have have been very pleasant and quick to respond to all of my emails regard these and other stones. Of all of the online vendors linked to by pricescope I chose them before I found a stone simply because I felt that they had the best website with the most information available about each stone. It's nice to see REAL photographs of the stone you want to buy. And they supply all facet angles for inspection along with idealscope pictures. As far as I can tell it is not possible to buy a bad stone from them.

Thanks again for all the info guys.

Jason

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmm this is a tough one! First off, congrats on being so discriminating!! Robin and Todd handpick their stuff so you know that each stone deserves to be in their collection.

Anyhow--what a choice. Both sound and look really great.

The first stone seems to be more expensive, somewhat slightly significantly ($400) maybe because of the VS2? But even saying that, this stone itself actually looks like it may be the better deal between the two. The VS2 clarity is always nice in my eyes, but if the SI1 is eye-clean, then that doesn't really matter.

What I noticed was the dimensions of the stones. You are talking an extra .07 carat weight, but yet the second stone has hardly a move in the dimensions. So you'd be getting 1.3ctw stone but where is that extra weight? Not in the top dimensions of the stone...but rather in the depth--even though it's a minimal amount. Also, the HCA score is better on the first one..not by much but by a tad.

Very tough. I think I would go for the first stone. Because of the VS2, better HCA score, and because of the better looking dimensions in my eyes. But again its $400 more...and the second stone will have more ctw clout (e.g. if your girl wants to say its a 1.3 vs a 1.23) and if it's eye clean SI1 (I'm sure it is from NiceIce), that VS quality doesn't matter anyway and isn't worth the extra $$. But if you are buying online, you may feel more comfortable with the VS2 clarity.

Bottom line is this is splitting hairs. It may just come down to what feels best for you, and/or what R/T have to say. Have you asked them which stone they prefer? They ARE looking at the stones with their own eyes. Maybe leave the decision up to them.

Good luck--hope I haven't confused you further.
2.gif

The-Betrothed

Rough_Rock
I agree with everything you have said. Robin and Todd pretty much said it's a toss up. They have nearly the same performance. I also thought the same thing about the extra mass only adding to the depth and a mere .07 mm to width.

Also the SI1 is not truly eye-clean. It has basically one inclusion that can be noticed if the lighting is right and the planets are aligned.

But B is cheaper a little, and bigger on paper.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay then I would go for the VS2. That's because I don't like spots in my stones, just my personal preference. Some people like that they can tell its their stone when they see an inclusion, etc which would speak for the SI1--but not me. If the performance is the same, it does come down to the VS/SI and the $$$$.

Good luck
1.gif
Toss a coin!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
My gut, #1 - but my mantra - is there any way you can view both?

clementine

Shiny_Rock
I agree with Mara - the VS2. If you still can't decide, see if Robin and Todd will ship both stones to an appraiser (they did for me) and get another opinion from someone who can compare both stones side by side. I had Chris from David Atlas's group look at 2 stones side by side and help me choose. And, he didn't charge me to just do the comparison.

Good luck!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
For all the reasons given previously, I'd also pick #1.

$400 is not a HUGE difference on a purchase of more than $7k, and for that $400, you get a positively eye-clean stone. That's worth the $400.

Final Cut

Rough_Rock
I vote for the VS stone - in my view there is a HUGE diff between an inclusion you can see and one you cannot see.... and there should be a HUGE difference in price... If you are considering visible inclusions, are you also looking at SI2 ?

Just my pref... and 2cents !

Good luck !

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results