shape
carat
color
clarity

The pawn shop!!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha! I am usually not interested in going in a pawn shop, but I had extra time today and decided I wanted to see if they might have any old rings with old diamonds! When I went in and asked if they had any, the old woman said no. And I said that was okay and I would look for a minute anyway. Basically they had really poor quality diamonds and they were filthy!!! It would have been very hard to evaluate clarity. I did ask to see a ring (typical tiffany setting with diamond) that turned out to be an OEC! But I took out my loupe and was SO disappointed that the stone had a gash right on the table! I spotted a very dainty little diamond band that was clearly old and asked to see it. I liked it so much that I decided I would buy it because the price was right. I looked more closely and they had a couple of old e-rings of the same basic style and one of them had a little OEC (maybe 15 points or so?) with single cut side melee. I just thought it was the sweetest set and I just bought it! I still don't have the center stone clean because of the tiny hole beneath the stone makes it hard to clean. Maybe I'll give the e-ring to my 16 yr. old. But I realize I really do have a love for old rings with old stones...or new VC rings and AV stones! :D

IMG_2575.JPG

IMG_2575b.jpg

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, what a pretty set-I love it! I bet your daughter would love having it! Or you could always wear it when you travel and don't want to wear your set. What a great find!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful! Congratulations!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pretty J! I love the little set. I have never been to a pawn shop but this thread is inspiring!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Thing, VR, and Tacori!

I just might size it for myself for the time being!

Tacori, gosh, I am kind of scared of pawn shops. But I recall people here saying that they had found good diamonds there before. I was just riding past (which I had done for 20+ years) and decided I should go in!

These aren't worth much, but I think about the young woman who was given this ring long ago and how delighted she must have been! In leaner times, this would have been a luxury, since many women wouldn't have had diamonds at all.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love it. It is a sweet set and there is just something magical to me about antique rings knowing there is such history behind them. This makes a nice warm up set until you get the VC with an AVC or AVR :naughty:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mrssalvo|1319247955|3045207 said:
I love it. It is a sweet set and there is just something magical to me about antique rings knowing there is such history behind them. This makes a nice warm up set until you get the VC with an AVC or AVR :naughty:

Yes!!! Thanks MrsS! :bigsmile:

lucyloo

Shiny_Rock
You've inspired me ! I love it!

April20

Ideal_Rock
I love that set. It's so sweet.

I have an antique e-ring i picked up on Ebay a few years ago. About a 12 pt diamond. I wear it when i travel. Every time i look at it I wonder who it belonged to and how excited she must have been to get it way back when.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great find!!!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
LOVE it DS! I'm looking forward to having pawn shop opportunities when I return to the us!!

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
great! im sure these rings are greatful for the rescue!(thats what i call it when i find a piece in a pawn shop for myself or a client...diamond rescue)and the bath! these rings would look cool stacked with other bands of varied metals, stone or styles! separate the rings on each hand and stack away putting modern and old together. about 80% of my jewelry is pre-owned and from pawn shops or estate sales...as you have, i look for the pieces that are over looked, they have several or are not currently in demand so the price can be negotiated even further down.Be careful because pawning for jewelry can be very addicting (at one time,i was visiting at least 6-10 shops a month looking for deals!) you found a little set with real possibilities and vintage style! Enjoy!!!

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
great! im sure these rings are greatful for the rescue!(thats what i call it when i find a piece in a pawn shop for myself or a client...diamond rescue)and the bath! these rings would look cool stacked with other bands of varied metals, stone or styles! separate the rings on each hand and stack away putting modern and old together. about 80% of my jewelry is pre-owned and from pawn shops or estate sales...as you have, i look for the pieces that are over looked, they have several or are not currently in demand so the price can be negotiated even further down.Be careful because pawning for jewelry can be very addicting (at one time,i was visiting at least 6-10 shops a month looking for deals!) you found a little set with real possibilities and vintage style! Enjoy!!!

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
What a great find! That set is actually quite lovely and looks very nice on your hand. I think that you should keep it for yourself at least for a while.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love it! You are such a sweet momma; your daughter will love it! yay for old rings

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sundial|1319294962|3045391 said:
What a great find! That set is actually quite lovely and looks very nice on your hand. I think that you should keep it for yourself at least for a while.

Agreed!

cheers--Sharon

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty! Congrats on the great find!!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
hey DS! that is really a sweet set, its neat to have a little piece of history, great find :appl:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, everyone! I think I am going to size them for myself for the time being. Actually the wedding band is just a little loose, so only the e-ring needs to be sized. I am currently without my e-ring because I decided to send it to Jonathan yesterday to consign it to see if it will sell. I just love the AVOEC's and AVC's, and I want the freedom to start over if it sells. If not, I do love my ring and will just have to focus on hunting for antique ones!

jewelerman, you are so right! I thought yesterday that it was so much fun finding a little treasure (and very inexpensive, too) that I could easily get hooked on it. I think I need to make trips to small towns where there might be more undiscovered things. Even in this pawn shop, the woman told me she has women who come in regularly looking for antique rings. I didn't ask her exactly what they were looking for because I didn't want to call attention to what I am looking for! But I love these thin bands and the idea of stacking them! I will likely keep the wedding band of this set even if I give the other ring to my daughter in the future.

LittleRiver

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker2006 said:
I am currently without my e-ring because I decided to send it to Jonathan yesterday to consign it to see if it will sell. I just love the AVOEC's and AVC's, and I want the freedom to start over if it sells. If not, I do love my ring and will just have to focus on hunting for antique ones!

I see you decided to move forward with changing your rings! I was actually thinking of you yesterday because I was at a bridal shower and I spotted your VC setting on an old friend! She was wearing the wedding band only (e-ring is a family heirloom). VC seems to be everywhere these days. Can't wait to see what you end up with!

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
That is a really cute set! :appl:

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a beautiful set, DS! I love it. I've never been to a pawn shop but maybe I'll pop into one and see what they have.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1319325067|3045605 said:
Thanks, everyone! I think I am going to size them for myself for the time being. Actually the wedding band is just a little loose, so only the e-ring needs to be sized. I am currently without my e-ring because I decided to send it to Jonathan yesterday to consign it to see if it will sell. I just love the AVOEC's and AVC's, and I want the freedom to start over if it sells. If not, I do love my ring and will just have to focus on hunting for antique ones!

jewelerman, you are so right! I thought yesterday that it was so much fun finding a little treasure (and very inexpensive, too) that I could easily get hooked on it. I think I need to make trips to small towns where there might be more undiscovered things. Even in this pawn shop, the woman told me she has women who come in regularly looking for antique rings. I didn't ask her exactly what they were looking for because I didn't want to call attention to what I am looking for! But I love these thin bands and the idea of stacking them! I will likely keep the wedding band of this set even if I give the other ring to my daughter in the future.

It is a nice little set - reminds me of an ering my grandmother had and a set reminiscent of an aunt's set. I'm sure they were as proud of those diamonds long ago as we are of ours today!

So I see you made a decision about your stone - any ideas about what you will get in its place or is it too early to know what stones might be available when your stone sells? I'm sure your stone will move - it's a great stone in a great size. I'm sure someone will snap it up quickly!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LittleRiver|1319373747|3045838 said:
diamondseeker2006 said:
I am currently without my e-ring because I decided to send it to Jonathan yesterday to consign it to see if it will sell. I just love the AVOEC's and AVC's, and I want the freedom to start over if it sells. If not, I do love my ring and will just have to focus on hunting for antique ones!

I see you decided to move forward with changing your rings! I was actually thinking of you yesterday because I was at a bridal shower and I spotted your VC setting on an old friend! She was wearing the wedding band only (e-ring is a family heirloom). VC seems to be everywhere these days. Can't wait to see what you end up with!

Oh, wow! That is amazing! I've never seen a VC on anyone here, but that is probably because no one carries it around here. But it is funny that we know these rings so well that we can recognize them when we see them on someone!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Tuckins and Zoe! Honestly, it is probably like finding a needle in a haystack to find something really great, but I remembered jewlerman and some others talking one time about pawn shop finds and decided to go in. I will admit that I took my solitaire off before I went in, because if I had found anything more valuable, I wanted to be able to bargain on the price! It's sort of the opposite of going in Tiffany's where you'd want to wear your diamonds to be taken seriously by the sales clerks! lol!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MissGotRocks|1319384971|3045901 said:
diamondseeker2006|1319325067|3045605 said:

It is a nice little set - reminds me of an ering my grandmother had and a set reminiscent of an aunt's set. I'm sure they were as proud of those diamonds long ago as we are of ours today!

So I see you made a decision about your stone - any ideas about what you will get in its place or is it too early to know what stones might be available when your stone sells? I'm sure your stone will move - it's a great stone in a great size. I'm sure someone will snap it up quickly!

MGR, my problem is that I know what I want but I can't have it all! :bigsmile: I really still want a hearts and arrows round solitaire, but I can go with one in the 1.3-1.5 range, I think. Then I really want an AVC in a VC setting. Then crazy me really wants an AV OEC, too, or maybe an antique ring with an OEC. I am certain I can't buy three new diamonds and settings, though. I don't want to spend that kind of money on jewelry for myself. And it remains to be seen if I will miss my diamond too much, but I think the fact that I love this little set means that I will be happy with any size! That actually helped me be able to send the diamond in. But there is still a chance that I will ask for it back!

I am not working now and have too much time to think on all this! But our older daughter and husband are expecting a baby in a few weeks, so hopefully that will help keep me occupied for some of the time!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha! It's just great when our 'wants' get the better of us, huh? Maybe just one at a time? What size AVC would you be interested in and is there a particular VC setting that you're interested in?

The antique OEC's can certainly be had if you are patient enough and diligent enough to wait on the right one - you might even get a good deal. The H&A stones are so expensive these days but maybe they'll come down in price in months or years to come?

I'm guessing that the AVC w/ VC setting is at the top of your list so I guess that would be a great place to start! If you got something that you truly loved, waiting on the others probably wouldn't sting as bad.

I always figured that the downside of retirement is that you finally have the time to look at EVERYTHING but funds either get more limited or you become more hesitant to spend them. I have a few years to go - guess I'll have to cram everything into my remaining working years and then vow to never look at the internet again - or at least not the diamonds!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MissGotRocks|1319391288|3045961 said:
Ha! It's just great when our 'wants' get the better of us, huh? Maybe just one at a time? What size AVC would you be interested in and is there a particular VC setting that you're interested in?

The antique OEC's can certainly be had if you are patient enough and diligent enough to wait on the right one - you might even get a good deal. The H&A stones are so expensive these days but maybe they'll come down in price in months or years to come?

I'm guessing that the AVC w/ VC setting is at the top of your list so I guess that would be a great place to start! If you got something that you truly loved, waiting on the others probably wouldn't sting as bad.

I always figured that the downside of retirement is that you finally have the time to look at EVERYTHING but funds either get more limited or you become more hesitant to spend them. I have a few years to go - guess I'll have to cram everything into my remaining working years and then vow to never look at the internet again - or at least not the diamonds!!

Gosh, I needed to work longer to fund my habit ;)) but when we moved, it was just impossible to get our daughter to school in one direction and me back to the school I taught at in the other nearby town. Not only that, I needed new furniture in the new house and the older daughter got married last December. So you can see why I don't have loads of jewelry cash sitting around! I needed to be off, though, because the move and wedding were a full time job!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, you could always tutor or find a part time job for some of the funds! I recently went through two weddings for my kids (after two college educations!) as well so can fully appreciate the funds drain there!

Slow and steady wins the race. . . I think you can accomplish your goals in time!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MissGotRocks|1319393292|3045975 said:
Well, you could always tutor or find a part time job for some of the funds! I recently went through two weddings for my kids (after two college educations!) as well so can fully appreciate the funds drain there!

Slow and steady wins the race. . . I think you can accomplish your goals in time!

I was a special ed. teacher and I do tutor dyslexic children which gives me some play money, thankfully! That's how I can justify little trinkets like the ones in this thread! Plus I figure I can resell them if I find others I like better later.

But yes, you can relate to college and wedding expenses, for sure!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results