color
clarity

The pawn shop!!!!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1319393543|3045976 said:
MissGotRocks|1319393292|3045975 said:
Well, you could always tutor or find a part time job for some of the funds! I recently went through two weddings for my kids (after two college educations!) as well so can fully appreciate the funds drain there!

Slow and steady wins the race. . . I think you can accomplish your goals in time!

I was a special ed. teacher and I do tutor dyslexic children which gives me some play money, thankfully! That's how I can justify little trinkets like the ones in this thread! Plus I figure I can resell them if I find others I like better later.

But yes, you can relate to college and wedding expenses, for sure!

I thought I remembered you being a teacher - they can earn lots of money with tutoring! It's good that you have that opportunity to bridge the gap - we all need a little funny money here and there!

Best of luck with the next step - we'll be waiting to see how it all turns out!

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
Both of these rings came from the pawnshop
The marquise is a 1.19 carat J color I1 which was appraised at $5,000 but cost me $1500. It is a 14k white gold ring with 28 other diamonds--the ring has a total diamond weight of 1.90 carats.

the five stone was bought for $300 and appraised at $2000. it is a platinum ring with 5 10 point princess cut diamonds of G color VS clarity.

a friend bought last month for $4,000 a 1.10 carat round brilliant solitaire G VS set in white gold. The cut is unknown but it sparkles like my ACA.
My marquise cut is unknown too but it sparkles like I can't believe. In the photo in the sunlight you see the bowtie but in normal life the bowtie is not noticeable. Neither is the grade-making inclusion, which is a white feather that you have to know exactly where it is and squint to see. The J color only shows from the side very sightly. It was sold me to as an I SI3 but since it had an EGL cert I had it reappraised.

pawn shop rings.jpg

pawnshop ring 5.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, my pawn shop didn't have any rings that nice, BJ! Good for you!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been wondering if there is any science to where (the location of the pawn shops) one might find treasures - is it more likely to be found in a wealthy community because folks grow tired of their jewels and sell them; or is it more likely to find undervalued items in less affluent communities, perhaps because they (the shop owners and the sellers) are not aware of what they have.

Anyone done any kind of survey or sampling to have any sense of this?

I would love to go into a pawn shop, but I would be so nervous...

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
don't be nervous...you get used to the shops after a few visits. When i tell people that alot of my jewelry came from pawn shops most of them say they could never go into a pawn shop as if its a bad place to be. the better the area ,the better the jewelry is what Ive found. The older the area then the more mall type jewelry you find.But also keep in mind that usually the prices are higher in better areas. I'm never swayed by the area for pricing...i always bring my loupe and know what spot values are the day i go shopping and never pay what the tag price is. In negotiations for a piece i never counter with a lower price and then say i will think about it if the much lower price is accepted because you will loose the respect with the sales person and they wont take you seriously in the future.I also never buy any thing i cant authenticate on my own.I always get weight and anything to do with the stones in writing and always know a stores return policy. most states have a 3 day regret/return law.The one thing to learn about pawn shops is their pricing structure and not to be awed by the pricing compared to retail...pawns should be much lower then retail and so you are comparing prices to wholesale rather then retail. Ive been in pawns that mark their jewelry with close to retail prices hoping that people will think its a good deal because its a pawn shop.Many pawns have no clue about gemology and so buyer beware about whats being offered!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results