shape
carat
color
clarity

The parent talk jitters

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BigB8405

Rough_Rock
Hey all. For those of you who may have been following some of my posts, I have recently purchased an e-ring, and I'm in the process of planning the proposal. However, this Friday I'm planning to talk with her parents, as she comes from a very traditional family. I know for many men this is probably the scariest part of the engagement. I have a good relationship with her parents, and I'm pretty sure they know I plan on proposing soon. My question is how I go about initiating the conversation. Some of my friends suggested I take her parents out to dinner, some have said I should just call them up and tell them over the phone. I was just wondering how I should go about doing this. Any advice would be great. Thanks
1.gif

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
BigB,

It is so nice to hear there are still a few guys out there who follow the tradition of asking the girl's family for her hand in marriage. If they are a traditional family, the will respect you for this gesture. Although my now-husband and I had already chosen my ering, he called my father on the phone and made an "appointment" to speak with them all on his own. I know they appreciated it, and it makes a great story to tell years later.

At the time, my grandmother was staying with my parents. When my then-boyfriend was having "the talk" with my parents, my grandmother sat quietly, listening to the conversation, and looked focused on her knitting (yes, knitting
rolleyes.gif
). She said nothing and hardly looked up until my boyfriend pulled out the ring. As the story goes, she flew out of her chair to see it before my parents (I inherited by my love for diamonds from my Nana for sure
love.gif
).

I think over the phone is too impersonal, and out to dinner is too public. Meeting in their home will put everyone (or at least her parents) at ease. Also, I think if you could have your talk without your girlfriend going along with you, you'll score more points -- heehee.
appl.gif

Good luck!

Diamondlil

BigB8405

Rough_Rock
Well, I talked to her parents today, and it was possibly the most nerve wracking thing I've done in a while
2.gif
, but her parents were very nice and appreciated my talking with them. Now that I'm done with that part, I just have to propose
3.gif

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
----------------
On 11/28/2003 5:34:14 PM BigB8405 wrote:

Well, I talked to her parents today, and it was possibly the most nerve wracking thing I've done in a while
2.gif
, but her parents were very nice and appreciated my talking with them. Now that I'm done with that part, I just have to propose
3.gif
----------------

Hey BigB,

I am glad the chat with the parents went well for you...Keep us updated on the proposal..
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results