shape
carat
color
clarity

The over 50 thread

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am turning FIFTY in ONE month. Give me your wisdom and advice? ( I AM excited!)

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hello AB and Congratulations on turning 50 in one month.

Well. I can tell you turning 50 wasn''t bad for me at all. My husband, along with my best friends husband, took us girls to Hawaii for 10 days to celebrate. It was wonderful.

Nothing really changed at all for me. My daughter was grown life was good.

I will be turning 60 in September and that will be good too (I hope) ha.

Once you reach 50, you are pretty settled. DH and I don''t go out as much as we used to in our 30''s and 40''s, we love taking care of our grandchildren. We notice that our priorities have changed a lot since then.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
I will be turning 53 later this year. Turning 50 was pretty uneventful. I mean, nothing exploded, imploded, etc. In other words, life went on...

I hit menopause a couple of years earlier so that was no biggy for me. In fact, menopause was rather uneventful too. It was the perimenopause that drove everyone around me insane.

What I did find, however, was that once I turned 50 I became more introspective. I thought about my curent life and my past. I began to think about those people in my past with whom I lost touch and now have reconnected and found we still have much in common. I found that I still have a thirst for knowledge and want to try new things. I wanted to learn French and German. I wanted to teach myself to knit, etc.

I found that I am not afraid of growing old, but am am afraid of growing old alone if anything happened to my DH.

I am more in peace with myself and have finaly forgiven those who in the past pissed me off. I also learned to speak my mind and not let anyone hurt me anymore with their insensitive remarks or actions(MIL that means you!)

I have learned that my parents are who they are and I have come to accept that and hopefully I am a better parent despite that.

But the most important thing that happened when I turned 50 was that I totally accepted myself for whom I am, flaws and all...I have never been so comfortable in my own skin as I am today.

I wish you a very happy 50th!!! it continues to get better.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/27/2009 2:12:11 PM
Author: Linda W

Well. I can tell you turning 50 wasn't bad for me at all. My husband, along with my best friends husband, took us girls to Hawaii for 10 days to celebrate. It was wonderful.

Once you reach 50, you are pretty settled. DH and I don't go out as much as we used to in our 30's and 40's, we love taking care of our grandchildren. We notice that our priorities have changed a lot since then.
in other words "over the hill" ?
11.gif
lunchtime!!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/27/2009 2:51:17 PM
Author: Dancing Fire

Well. I can tell you turning 50 wasn''t bad for me at all. My husband, along with my best friends husband, took us girls to Hawaii for 10 days to celebrate. It was wonderful.

Once you reach 50, you are pretty settled. DH and I don''t go out as much as we used to in our 30''s and 40''s, we love taking care of our grandchildren. We notice that our priorities have changed a lot since then.
in other words ''over the hill'' ?
11.gif
lunchtime!!

OK that''s it!! I''m getting in my car, driving to your city and this Supa Granny is going to smack you.
9.gif

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/27/2009 3:00:02 PM

Date: 3/27/2009 2:51:17 PM
Author: Dancing Fire

in other words ''over the hill'' ?
11.gif
lunchtime!!

OK that''s it!! I''m getting in my car, driving to your city and this Supa Granny is going to smack you.
9.gif
Whup his *$$ he''s being a BRAT!

LS

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Turning 50 was pretty much a non-event for me too psychologically. My husband gave me a surprise party which was great fun, but I didn''t feel any different once I had a 5 in front of my age. We did make a conscious decision to take more time to sustain and cultivate friendships, and spend less time doing other things. We go out about the same or maybe a little more than we used to in our 30''s and 40''s but that''s a function of making time to do that as well.

The difficult part about reaching our 50''s is that our parents have also gotten older and we''re now having to deal with that. There''s a big difference between how our parents were doing at 80 and how they''re doing now that they''ve hit the mid-to late 80''s. And It seems various illnesses and health difficulties are hitting our friends as well as ourselves. That''s the part that''s a bummer. The rest of it is fine.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I had to think a minute whether I wanted to post on this thread, because I am still not used to having a 5 as the first number of my age! I''d say nothing has changed for me...I am still 30 inside!
9.gif

I think the important thing is to live each day to the fullest and enjoy each stage of life! I look forward to our kids getting married and someday having grandchildren. Our daughter is dating someone seriously, and I am hopeful they will get engaged so I can play over on the BWW forum!
36.gif

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much! I really relate to what you all say! I feel myself celebrating my age and getting introspective of where I have been and where I am going. Both of my parents have been gone a really long time so the elder care issue won''t apply, but I see it come up with my friends. I am planning to walk a 5K on my Bd, have a quiet dinner with family and just enjoy. Since my mother didn''t make it older than 33, I rejoice that I have come so far. Keep the advice coming and a big thanks to you all. I thought it was time for an over 50 thread anyways!
9.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ll be there soon enough. I am looking forward to it.
9.gif

Scorpioanne

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/27/2009 8:28:13 PM
Author: Kaleigh
I''ll be there soon enough. I am looking forward to it.
9.gif
I agree Kaleigh, I will be 50 in October and am anticipating a freedom to saying I''m 50. I have had to stop colouring my hair and that was freeing as well.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/27/2009 8:25:34 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Well, I had to think a minute whether I wanted to post on this thread, because I am still not used to having a 5 as the first number of my age! I'd say nothing has changed for me...I am still 30 inside!
9.gif

I think the important thing is to live each day to the fullest and enjoy each stage of life! I look forward to our kids getting married and someday having grandchildren. Our daughter is dating someone seriously, and I am hopeful they will get engaged so I can play over on the BWW forum!
36.gif
Absolutely, 50 is the new 30! So, I just turned 35.
2.gif

The age is no big deal. I do find that if there is something I really want to do, I am much more likely to go ahead and do it. You get the sense that there is limited time left in this life. It is a bit easier now because the kids have moved out, so we are less tied down than we used to be.

Enjoy! It's just an age.
35.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
What I have found, age is just a number. I love that I am comfortable with who I am. I learned to say NO in my 30''s. My 40''s have been a blast. It''s all in how you see things. I love seeing the bright side. Life is too short to be negative. 50 is a year where I think you just rock it. You are who you are. You are full of life, and the rest is just icing on the cake.
36.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/27/2009 9:14:19 PM
What I have found, age is just a number. I love that I am comfortable with who I am. I learned to say NO in my 30''s. My 40''s have been a blast. It''s all in how you see things. I love seeing the bright side. Life is too short to be negative. 50 is a year where I think you just rock it. You are who you are. You are full of life, and the rest is just icing on the cake.
36.gif

Lisa, VERY well said!!!!!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/27/2009 9:17:09 PM

36.gif

Lisa, VERY well said!!!!!!
Awww thank you Miss Linda.
35.gif

bebe

Ideal_Rock
36.gif
Exactly. I turned 54 in February. And really it''s no big deal. I do hate getting older and I''m battling it, but I accept it will happen!
I think it''s cool that at 50ish we get to know ourselves finally and feel comfortable in our own skin.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
My 50s have been a decade of improvement so far. My opthamologist recentlt told me that my profound nearsightedness has begun to improve. So if I live to be 200 I could have 20/20 vision !

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks all you fabulous "fifties" for coming out of the woodwork!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
I turned 50 last year and feel fit, fabulous and fantastic. I feel really good about being this age and I firmly believe you should "own your age"
I love being me and whatever number I am and I find it kind of sad when people lie about there age or don''t want to think how old they are.
So here''s to us fabulous and fifty year olds

chp50.jpg

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ll be turning 54 this year and even though I thought it was going to be bad turning 50, it really wasn''t. As a matter of fact I like where our lives are at right now. Our children are grown and we are focusing more on us again instead of the children. It''s a fun time.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Nope, sorry, don''t qualify. Not even close!
mightfly.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/28/2009 8:52:23 PM
Author: Gailey
Nope, sorry, don''t qualify. Not even close!
mightfly.gif
Hehe, too funny!!!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Neat thread...love reading the wisdom!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TG: you quote is so appropriate for this thread. We should all take Mark Twains advice.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/27/2009 2:05:45 PM
Author:AprilBaby
I am turning FIFTY in ONE month. Give me your wisdom and advice? ( I AM excited!)
Me too! I''m also an April baby!

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Another April baby here. Must be because diamonds are our birthstones.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hollys-you will be fifty in April? I am on the 26th. And you? Lets celebrate!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
3/29/2009 1:04:17 AM
Author: HollyS

Uh oh! Holly, did you know you''re going to have to address Mr.klewis with more respect from now on? We have discerned that he is your elder, not your "dear young man" at all! You are a *baby*!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your friend,
Deb
34.gif

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/29/2009 12:56:41 PM
Author: AprilBaby
Hollys-you will be fifty in April? I am on the 26th. And you? Lets celebrate!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
The 17th for me. I''m one of those nearly impossible, pain-in-the-you-know, Aries gals.
9.gif

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/29/2009 1:41:07 PM
Author: AGBF

Date:
3/29/2009 1:04:17 AM
Author: HollyS

Uh oh! Holly, did you know you''re going to have to address Mr.klewis with more respect from now on? We have discerned that he is your elder, not your ''dear young man'' at all! You are a *baby*!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your friend,
Deb
34.gif
Well, if I could have my ''druthers'', I''d prefer not to address him!
31.gif

I''m sure he''s quite satisfied with knowing that he certainly doesn''t ''act his age''.
28.gif

I''ve learned that hipness is only hip if, indeed, you are hip. Otherwise it just smacks of silliness. I don''t ever try to be cool and uber sophisticated. It doesn''t work for most other people either, by and large.

There''s my bit of wisdom at the big 5-0.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results