shape
carat
color
clarity

the new engagement chicken

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jcarlylew82

Shiny_Rock
just thought i would share this recipe with you all - i am making it (as we speak!) for superbowl tomorrow

(ps...go cardinals!!...yes..i am a seahawks fan
31.gif
)

http://www.bbqaddicts.com/bacon-explosion.html

bacon-12.jpg

Blair138

Brilliant_Rock
I saw an article on this...you must tell me how it turns out! This thing is HUGE and has tons of calories...let us know how it tastes too!

misskitty

Brilliant_Rock
Oh wow! I''ve seen the article, too, but you''re the first person I know of that''s actually making it!

tlh

Ideal_Rock
Yummy....
18.gif

miss_flo

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/31/2009 7:54:44 PM
Author: misskitty
you''re the first person I know of that''s actually making it!

Same here! Sending you lots of good luck and good vibes!

KatM

Shiny_Rock
it''s very...um...phallic.

although i think this might just be the new engagement chicken. bf would propose for this, i have no doubt.

sammyj

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/1/2009 11:06:08 AM
Author: KatM
it''s very...um...phallic.

although i think this might just be the new engagement chicken. bf would propose for this, i have no doubt.
hahaha...I agree! That''s A LOT of meat. What guy wouldn''t want to marry me after I made this for him!?!?!?
41.gif

jcarlylew, Let us know how it goes!

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Let us know how it goes. It looks like your BF is going to love it!

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
jcarlylew82, how was the bacon explosion? I''ve been thinking about "bacon basketweave" all day. Haha.

Also, I mentioned it in another thread, I love your avatar! Monchichi!!! (I call my SO my "manchichi" because he looks like one.) Too funny.

anniee19

Shiny_Rock
I can''t speak for Jcarly, but I made it today with my fiance. He LOVES bacon, and thought it sounded delicious! We took it to a friend''s house where we finished up the cooking, and I must say- I was a little dissapointed. I could mostly just taste the sausage. Mine had hardly any bacon flavor to it at all! I think it would be great for breakfast though!

jcarlylew82

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/1/2009 11:38:26 PM
Author: anniee19
I can't speak for Jcarly, but I made it today with my fiance. He LOVES bacon, and thought it sounded delicious! We took it to a friend's house where we finished up the cooking, and I must say- I was a little dissapointed. I could mostly just taste the sausage. Mine had hardly any bacon flavor to it at all! I think it would be great for breakfast though!

Did you smoke it?
I added hickory smoke becuase i dont have a smoker, so it totally made the flavor stand out. Also, i used smoked bacon (black forest bacon) on the outside and applewood bacon in the middle. Plus our bbq sauce had a good flavor.

E LOVED it. i have to say, while watching the game and drinking one to many beers, it was amazing.

so...3 months to go, right? :) or maybe engagement bacon speeds up the process :)
lol.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Holy bacon!! That looks so good!
18.gif

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Jcarly, how did you make it? Oven? What temp? BBQ? I''m totally making this Thursday!

jcarlylew82

Shiny_Rock
I cooked in in my oven at 225 (well, 250 becuase my oven sucks!!). you cook it 1 hour per inch, so mine was about 2.5 inches, so 2.5 hours. It worked out perfect becuase i had to reheat it, so it didnt over cook it.

I suggest adding one DROP (seriously, JUST A DROP) of hickory smoke into the pork and then mush/mix it all up before you roll it.
Also, i followed the recipe to a t, and here are my adjustments i will make next time.

Bacon - buy 2 1/2lbs. The wider/thicker the cut for the 1 lb outside, the better. Buy smoked bacon (Whole foods has it). I used Black forest ham bacon which was AWESOME for the outside "weave". For the inside get a flavorful bacon like the applewood kind. Also, cook the remaining 1 1/2 lbs for the bacon on the inside. Personally, i think the crunchier the better. And hide from your man. seriously. it''ll be gone before you know it.

BBQ Sauce - a good, basic sauce will work. nothing too vinager-y. Also, the thicker the better for the outside part

Rub Spices - i used misquite rub and honestly, i think it really helped bring out the "smoked" flavor, with out the smoker.

Pork - Mild Italian Sausage. yum! I used the 2 lbs suggested, but i think my bacon was too thin for it. So next time i am only using 1 1/2lbs. I suggest adding one DROP (seriously, JUST A DROP) of hickory smoke into the pork and then mush/mix it all up before you roll it. also, i "patched" my sausage layer together, and when i rolled the sausage, it would piece apart. so make sure to mend those seams! (lol, i sound like home ec class!!). I think it would have tasted better with a thinner layer of pork.

Let me know how it turns out!!

and yes, i am still tasting pork and bacon!!!

ringless

Shiny_Rock
I''ve come to terms the engagement chicken doesn''t work.. many months have went by and it hasn''t worked for me! lol But I did buy another one when they were on sale, so i''ll be giving it another go soon...juuuust in case
emwink.gif

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
My carnivore friend is coming over tonight and I''m feeling ill already thinking about this pork-tastrophy about to take place. Hahaha!!

He sent it to all his army buddies and they wanted to add cheese, green peppers, carmelized onions (which sounds really good actually) and a layer of ground beef.
23.gif
. FI wants to roll a kielbasa in there. Good lord...if I don''t die tonight I''ll let you know how it was!
9.gif

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
let me know how it goes!

I dont think the ground beef will be good - its not "sticky" like the pork. ew. that sounds weird.

but the peppers sound good!!!!

eta - i just realized i logged into my old account! funny. but its nice seeing my gma's ring again :)

KatM

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/5/2009 6:37:39 PM
Author: sunnyd
My carnivore friend is coming over tonight and I''m feeling ill already thinking about this pork-tastrophy about to take place. Hahaha!!

He sent it to all his army buddies and they wanted to add cheese, green peppers, carmelized onions (which sounds really good actually) and a layer of ground beef.
23.gif
. FI wants to roll a kielbasa in there. Good lord...if I don''t die tonight I''ll let you know how it was!
9.gif

i was thinking that a thick layer of cheese in the middle would be great!

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
Some third-year law student made this and brought it to school this past Monday.... Holy grease!!

I''m not a bacon fan, but boy-oh-boy...

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Well...it was delicious.
18.gif
My house reeks of bacon but man! It was good. We did it at 275 for about 2 hours. FI took pics the whole way through to document. LOL...he''s a silly boy.

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
where''s the pic? Did you do anything different to the recipe?

:)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results