shape
carat
color
clarity

The Nerd Diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Liane

Brilliant_Rock
Here be the saga of the Nerd Diamond.

I''m a lifelong nerd. I blame my dad for this; he read me The Hobbit when I was about six, and ever since then I''ve been a fantasy junkie. I read the novels, play the games, occasionally watch the movies (although I draw the line at TV shows. If fantasy in general is a cheesy hobby, "Legend of the Seeker" and its ilk are the equivalent of week-old Velveeta crusts scraped from the bottom of a cheesesteak truck''s scraps bin).

A little over a year ago I got it into my head that it would be a fun lark to write a fantasy novel. It didn''t seem that hard, really, given some of the other stuff on the shelves. So I banged out a manuscript in about ten weeks, just to see if I could do it, and started submitting that to see what would happen. I didn''t really expect it to get anywhere, but I figured at least I''d learn what I was doing wrong so I could get it right next time.

To my profound and lasting surprise, the thing sold. Not only that, but it sold in a two-book deal to one of the big New York houses. It hasn''t come out yet, but if all goes well, in spring 2010 I will be an Official Author with a book on the shelves and another slated for publication a year later.

Alas, this does not mean I get instant fame and riches. Starting advances for genre novelists with no track record are very modest, and I won''t be quitting my day job anytime soon (which is good, since I like my day job). But it does mean I suddenly had a little spare money to waste on sparkly rocks. Specifically, it meant I could go out and buy a Nerd Diamond, the purpose of which is to signify to the world that I am a Professional Nerd (also, of course, to give me something sparkly to stare at).

My e-ring diamond is an OEC and I absolutely love old cuts, but after much waffling I decided to look for a modern RB as the Nerd Diamond, mainly because I just never found an old cut that I completely loved, whereas there was no shortage of RBs I liked.

So I went shopping for a suitable RHR RB. I wanted something that was either a warm color or had very strong fluorescence, because I like diamonds that are a little bit different. Cut, of course, was very important. I don''t mind inclusions at all, and actually rather like having stones with "birthmarks" (again, goes back to wanting something a little bit different). With those criteria in mind, it was off to the races.

The two finalists were the GOG 1.74 O IF diamond and a 2.01 "J" SI1 from a local B&M here in Philadelphia. (I say "J" because it''s an EGL cert and the real color is more like K-L, but since I wanted a diamond that would show some tint, this is not, for my purposes, a negative.) The price of each rock was basically the same, so I went with the larger stone even though it''s slightly less well cut (scores a 2.1 on the HCA, is rated a cut class 1A on the AGS scale). I am STILL second-guessing myself about this a week after the fact, because the GOG stone was truly a stunner, but in the end I''m a size whore and that''s that.

And so I settled on the Nerd Diamond, and here it is.

PSLND004.JPG

Liane

Brilliant_Rock
This is a reasonably accurate representation of the color on a white paper background. You can definitely see the tint.

PSLND003.JPG

Liane

Brilliant_Rock
Kinda-sorta-not-really hand shot.

PSLNDHand.JPG

Liane

Brilliant_Rock
Finally, some fire when it caught the camera flash.

This stone isn''t a perfect H&A (although I might get it recut so that it is); I think the cutter left on a little weight to hit that magic 2.0 number. But it does show some arrow patterning, which did interesting things with the flash here.

PSLND001.JPG

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, congratulations on your book deal and on your gorgeous new diamond! I bet you''re a good author because I really enjoyed reading the story of your nerd diamond!

How will you be setting it? Have you decided yet?

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/25/2009 3:56:07 PM
Author: thing2of2
Wow, congratulations on your book deal and on your gorgeous new diamond! I bet you''re a good author because I really enjoyed reading the story of your nerd diamond!

How will you be setting it? Have you decided yet?

ditto, especially to the bold!

I think it''s great that you''re getting a diamond to signify such an accomplishment! Also, make sure to let us know a title and release date---sounds like I''d love it!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great Looking diamond, and congrats on your book.

softly softly

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations on your book and your diamond. I can''t think of a better way to celebrate such a milestone.
36.gif
36.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Omg that is SO cool! Congratulations about the book!

And I love the idea of a Nerd Diamond
1.gif
It''s really stunning!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations! That sounds absolutely awesome. I love hearing real life stories about people that go after their dreams. Way to go! And your diamond is gorgeous.
36.gif

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/25/2009 6:04:27 PM
Author: softly softly
Congratulations on your book and your diamond. I can''t think of a better way to celebrate such a milestone.
36.gif
36.gif

DITTO! Do keep us posted on the book... and on what you decide to do with the diamond, of course!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
What a nice story!! Congrats on the book..
36.gif
(and the beautiful diamond!)

tigian

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations on your book! Congratulations on your beautiful diamond. Can''t wait to see the setting you choose!

Adah

Shiny_Rock
Mazel tov on your success!

That nerd diamond is a stunner - I can''t wait to see it set.
18.gif

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
SUPER congrats on your book - I am so happy for you! That''s really exciting. When will it be coming out? I would love to write a book, but I tend to loose interest halfway through every time I try lol.

That diamond is just GORGEOUS. Any plans for settings?

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations on the book and the diamond!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, your story is awesome! Many congrats for getting the book deal! You''ll have to make a thread when it comes out!

Your diamond is just gorgeous, and I love the character it has! How are you going to set it?

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Wow congrats! The diamond is lovely too!

Lynnie

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats on the book and the Nerd Diamond (love that nickname!)

I''m curious... where did you get it? I ask because I feel like I''ve visited every diamond jeweler in the city for my WB.

About the book - way to go!!! That is really awesome, and admirable that you''ve done it! And inspiring... I''ve had an idea that I *think* would make a great movie plot, and keep meaning to start writing it, but life always seems to get in the way... Congrats!!

Liane

Brilliant_Rock
Aw. Thanks for the kind words, everyone.
1.gif

I''m planning to set it in an unplated white gold bezel. I think the slight yellowish cast to the metal will complement the slight tint to the stone. Might go with scrollwork sides (I like scrollwork) and dark accent stones -- black star sapphires, red garnets, something like that. I''ll wait to see what the jeweler recommends.

I might also get it trimmed by Brian Gavin. It''s driving me slightly bonkers that the cut isn''t quite perfect. I know nobody in real life is ever going to look at it that closely or notice the difference, and cutting it from a 2-carat to a 1.9something is going to knock down the value, but goshdarnit I want a true superideal.

Lynnie -- I bought the stone at Golden Nugget II in Jeweler''s Row. They have a price match policy, so if you Pricescope the specs you''re interested in and bring a printout to show the price range, they''ll give you a very reasonable deal. The sales staff are friendly and no-pressure, and they keep a very good selection of EGL-certed diamonds, although if you want GIA stones it might be better to go to another shop. About the only thing I didn''t like was haggling over the price -- I really, really hate bargaining over purchases -- but the price match policy makes that as painless as haggling can ever be.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is so awesome, congrats and love the diamond
30.gif
36.gif

katamari

Ideal_Rock
What an amazing experience (and reward!). Congrats!
36.gif
36.gif

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
What an awesome reason to buy a diamond! I call my ering stone my nerd diamond because my nerd of a husband didn''t even look at the stone itself - he bought it bases on numbers.

I think your reason for calling it the nerd diamond is the best ever! What an amazing accomplishment getting published! Congratulations!
36.gif

DiamondFlame

Brilliant_Rock
Omg, I can so relate to that nerd story, having grown up reading Tolkien, Feist, Gemmell and other fantasy authors. Even wrote a fantasy gamebook when I was 12! But congrats on your 2 book deal. Do keep us posted cuz I still love the genre. Your 2 carat J/SI is a WOW! Same goes for your hand. You could be a hand model too you know...
9.gif

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CONGRATULATIONS on the book AND the diamond! Wear it with pride!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Tempi

Rough_Rock
Congratulations!!! What a great accomplishment to get a deal, and a gorgeous sparkly to commemorate the event! Hopefully you can share what the title is when it gets released?

Tempi (who enjoyed the cheesiness of LotS, but it was not the books...)

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
wow congrats! that really is an amazing accomplishment!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results