shape
carat
color
clarity

The moment you realize you are too old for something

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Had this experience recently and thought maybe I'm not the only one!

My friend throws what I consider to be a very large birthday party for her son every year. She usually has it catered with a full bar plus a rock climbing wall, mechanical bull,inflatables and a DJ. It is an event for sure but she enjoys doing this because we have gone the past six years.

Anyways, every year she has a gigantic inflatable double water slide, like 42 feet tall, you see where this is going right? I take a slide down most every year and this year was no exception. I climbed up the ladder and got to the top but I slipped and slid 40 feet down the ladder despite trying to hang on to the handle and took out all the kids behind me to boot! Thankfully everyone was okay, I found the mother of the kid directly behind me and apologized and she was totally okay with it. Probably helped that he was a teenager.

In the process of trying to hang on though I sprained my pointer finger on my dominant hand and hairline fractured my middle finger AND messed up my shoulder. Just a hot damn mess.

So, obviously I am too damn old for this water slide which I have had no problem with in previous years. It's kind of a sad moment when you realize you can't do something you were perfectly capable of just a year ago.

This little story is not a pity party or vent but more meant to be a funny cautionary tale because you never know when you will find that moment yourself.

Have you had that moment yet?

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My hard core backpacking days of carrying a 40 lb pack and sleeping in a tent are over. I realized this when it started to take 4 advil to ease the aching joints enough so I could roll out of the tent and lay on the ground for 30 minutes before I could stand up.

There are things I have had to adapt these past few years related to working out -- no more heavy weight lifting; modified ballroom dancing (it's embarrassing to make noises like a bowl of Rice Krispies so loud you can hear it over the music); I could go on but I'm getting depressed :knockout:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes eating anything I want is not an option anymore... Neither is drinking. Bad acid reflux is a reminder that I'm not a teen anymore, especially when I'm going to Costco to purchase my acid reducer pills :wall:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:naughty: :naughty: :lol:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
At 42, given a lot of physical injuries sustained over those years causing chronic pain, I probably *should* give up on a few things, but I simply refuse to do so, so long as I have Alleve, Tums, wine, health insurance, and bail money. :D

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I shan't go into details, however, when I discovered I was old enough to be considered as someone's granny in my mid 40s, I sighed! :rolleyes: :naughty: :bigsmile:

Recovery time from a heavy drinking sessions gets longer and longer; so is recovery time from muscular skeletal strains such as dance, exercise and tent set up.

I decided after the last camping trip last week that I shall get a camper van in 4-5 years' time, and move away from camping in a tent.

DK :))

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh goodness yes. Every time Imsee a frazzled mother with young kids. I am counting down, happily, to menopause at this point. I enjoy kids, bit my ovaries put out the "do not disturb" sign at the first pangs of wanting one.

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
StephanieLynn, some detailed images created in my head from your story :) but poor you, hope the fingers are feeling much better.

I think what you describe was just an accident! Could happen to anyone of any age...though these things are definitely more 'shocking' as we get older..........so I'd suggest you have another go next year as it sounds like such fun when you don't slip!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes definitely lol. And in fact to continue along Gypsy's menopause thought I am actually relieved I am in it right now. I feel free. I am old enough to do what I want to do without worrying about what others think though I never cared that much anyway being at this stage makes it a non existent concern even more so. The only problem (but one I wouldn't trade if you kwim) is that I don't look the part because most people think I look much younger than my age but I deal with it. :lol:

And ditto to Pinto Bean. I sure cannot eat or drink anything I want to anymore or I pay the price and I have to stop eating a few hours before I go to bed. ;( That is a pain when we go out with friends because not everyone likes to eat as early as we do. ::)

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm in my late 30's but haven't had that moment yet! I do think some people are predisposed to feeling their age faster than others. Mental and physical health seem to be contributing factors. As long as I feel healthy physically, I'm going to keep doing all the things I love. Should the day come that I can't do something without painkillers or legit assistance, well, I'll have to see what kind of modifications can be made to the activity! So Stephanie, I would say to you, don't give up on water slides--just find a smaller one!

I toured a flower farm this summer, and the owner of the farm is nearing 70. She is set to build her retirement home on the property and already has had a new hoop house constructed which allows her to harvest using a tractor instead of doing it by hand, because she knows she won't physically be able to harvest by hand for many more years and doesn't necessarily want to HAVE to hire a crew. She mentioned that after 25 years of farming, day in/day out, her body is growing weary of that sort of hard physical labor every single day. I am also very active (ok, maybe not general LABOR but I do stuff and work out, etc.) so I hope to continue to be able to do things as long as she has! I've also known 90 year olds who were still competing in basketball tournaments, marathons, you name it. Not sure I aspire to marathon running in my 90's but if that happened I would gladly accept bragging rights!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha ha ha...I thought this would be about not wearing clothes that are "too young". I'm glad you werent too hurt. The things
that I have noticed lately have been clothes related. Like not wearing clothes with any sayings on them and no longer wearing
light/washed out jeans. I think it takes me longer to figure out that I shouldnt be doing something than the average joe because
in my head I havent aged. :oops:

Some times I refuse to give into the age thing...jumped off the top of a party dock this summer. Hard to hurt yourself doing
that. Still ride a scooter with my daughter. I dont really care what other people think...as long as I'm having fun! My daughter
made me promise to go sky diving with her when she graduates from H.S. I will not be as old as George Bush but I wont be young
either! :shock:

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
PintoBean|1473825415|4076220 said:
Yes eating anything I want is not an option anymore... Neither is drinking. Bad acid reflux is a reminder that I'm not a teen anymore, especially when I'm going to Costco to purchase my acid reducer pills :wall:

I feel you on the heartburn! I was at Costco Sunday and in line realized I forgot heartburn medication when I saw it in the woman's cart in front of me. So I sent my teenage son to get it for me so I would not lose my place in line. I miss spicy food!!

I've never been a drinker, but food wise, not only do I need to avoid spicy foods, but I seem to gain much easier now and then have a harder time losing. My teenagers, including my daughter, have amazingly fast metabolisms and (I never say it out loud to them) but I am incredibly jealous of the foods and the quantities they can eat!!

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1473842518|4076287 said:
Oh goodness yes. Every time Imsee a frazzled mother with young kids. I am counting down, happily, to menopause at this point. I enjoy kids, bit my ovaries put out the "do not disturb" sign at the first pangs of wanting one.

I am 47 and am looking forward to not having my period anymore! I know some women dread menopause but I am thankful for my kids and happy where I am in life right now and will be happy to be free of a monthly pain in the neck!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Yes, it has been a few years since diving off the tower or even the high board. Even the thought scares me!!

cheers--Sharon

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My moment involved clothing, not an event.

Leopard print pants.

'Nuff said.

May that poor polyester animal rest in peace...

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I haven't stayed out until 4AM dancing since around the time I got pregnant with my firstborn. A lot of that is because I know it's impractical if the odds are good that a small child will be waking me before 7AM, but a lot of it seems to be that I'm. Just. Too. Old. Even when I'm on vacation and my in-laws are kindly watching the kids, I'm as happy to catch up on my sleep debt now as I would have been to dance 'till dawn back in the day.

OH HOW THE MIGHTY HAVE FALLEN

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dee*Jay|1473870679|4076447 said:

Leopard print pants.

'Nuff said.

Oh, dear ... please don't tell me this means my time is coming. I love torturing my loved ones with leopard print WAY too much to ever give it up!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Funny stories everyone!

I had a moment last Saturday. I used to roller skate every weekend from about the age of 13 to 15 & was pretty nippy. Fast forward to being 42 & at a roller rink on Saturday for my daughter's friends 8th birthday. I got nostalgic & decided to have a go. Straight on my arse with a big bruise! My daughter also caught the cartwheel bug last summer & was learning. I was a champ at this & could cross the entire school field without stopping. Frustrated in explaining a better technique I decided to show her. Almost broke both wrists :lol:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A year or two ago I spent several hours gardening at the "on the knees" level. Oh how I felt it getting up - and oh how I felt it the next day!

Most of the time though those "moments" don't even register any more. They are. It is. It is what it is. :mrgreen:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You guys, I am loving all of your posts. I am also in the can't eat the way I used to camp. Sold all my PINK yoga pants and hoodies when I turned 35 because I didn't feel comfortable rocking those out after that age. Never had words or decoration on the butt though, like it needs any more attention lol!

Someone mentioned the shock of not being able to do something you used to, didn't think of that but it is a great point. Smaller water slide next time ;-)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dee*Jay|1473870679|4076447 said:

Leopard print pants.

'Nuff said.

I love you Dee Jay.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I've got news for you guys: you don't have to put up with aching muscles, joints, inflexibility, etc. It's not an age thing, it's a muscular atrophy thing. TWO weeks of no exercise and your muscles start to atrophy.

Two years, ten years, whatever, of sitting the same way at work, or at the computer, or whatever, makes your joints only want to go "that way". So you're stiff. And achy. You simply don't have the variety of motions that you did when you were a kid.

I know, because I ran into this in a big way, pulling my back, enduring over a month of pain, with stuff I used to just do without thinking.

Get thee to a physical therapist. Your doctor can prescribe a "general weakness" treatment, and they will give you an exercise plan that actually has results. No, you can't do this on your own, or with a "personal trainer". You'll just pull something. Physical therapists go to medical school (these days, it's a new law) and learn with cadavers, all kinds of anatomy classes, etc. Do you really thing that guy at the gym has any idea about these things? Especially when it comes to an older physique?

I am back to where I was in my mid-30's, and I actually have biceps, and baby abs (ablets?). I have balance, strength, and my back feels tons stronger. I've in the second half of my century (over 50). It's not an age thing, don't accept it.

So, go get an Rx for physical therapy, from your doctor. Go see a DOCTOR of physical therapy.

You can thank me later. ;-)

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Regular exercise does help with minimising muscular skeletal stresses and pains, however, I doubt if it would help with shortening the recovery time for a hangover!

DK :naughty: :bigsmile:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I regret that I didn't do it before. :roll:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have this huge inflatable double slide thing too and the ladder is really really hard to climb up. :wavey: :lol:

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
When I realized that I hated all the fashions in Harpers Bazaar. And when I watched Project Runway and all my favorite ones were in the losing category.

I gave up heels {and I'm talking 2 inch kitten heels} and went for flats for everyday wearing because I lurched like a drunk.

I no longer give a crap about what Howard Stern will say next.

Any more than two drinks in the evening will pretty much guarantee I spend the next day on the couch watching a Snapped marathon.
````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

And finally, I started nagging {in my mind mainly} my son to get married and give me a couple of grandkids.

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
We invited our son and GF to join us for breakfast last Sunday and mentioned that we were going to see Carol Burnett. And she asked: who is Carol Burnett?

Its official, I am so old, I fart dust.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
arkieb1|1473916590|4076809 said:
We have this huge inflatable double slide thing too and the ladder is really really hard to climb up. :wavey: :lol:

I'm so glad it's not just me! :D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results