shape
carat
color
clarity

The marquise is being mounted - question on pricing

ajoh3142

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone - Thanks for responding to my previous post on setting my marquise stone. I have decided on a design I really like where the marquise will be set in a puffy bezel and next to the bezel will be a bezel set trillion shaped diamond on each side. I don't have a CAD photo or I would share it in this post. Well, anyway, the jeweler has informed me that the trillion diamonds will weigh approximately .75ct tw - could be more or could be less depending on mm measurements, which I totally understand. He then said that the price would be approximately $2750 for just the trillions - could even be a little higher, and maybe a little lower. WOW, I nearly fell out of my seat. The marquise is a 1.50 ct J color, so I don't need colorless trillions - just near colorless like the stone - I J or even K. Then add in the mounting and labor for an extra $2350 - I am just dumbfounded.

I guess what I'm getting at is: Does this seem excessively high to all you PSers? Anyone have a ring with trillions that can shed some light? I realize diamonds are quite high right now, and a matched pair will command a premium, but $2750 or more? Hopefully somebody can tell me whether I'm about to be taken for a ride or whether this is in fact a legitimate ballpark price for two trillion diamonds weighing .75 +/- ct tw.

Many thanks!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I always recommend getting three quotes (specifying exact same parameters for each vendor including all diamonds you want, shank width, metal, design) in order to make sure you are getting a good price. With the rising prices of metals and diamonds it is hard for anyone but an appraiser or a jeweler to judge what is 'reasonable'. I always tell the vendors that they are part of a collective group and that I will be deciding on one vendor, and that it may not be them in advance. Most are very accommodating and I can always make an informed decision.

ajoh3142

Rough_Rock
Thanks Gypsy and tyty! The suggestion that I get several quotes is something I am going to do because it looks as though the estimate on the trillion diamonds is high compared to the link tyty sent - I know those aren't quite the size needed, but it gives a ballpark. And, they are listed as E-F - something much much whiter than I need for this ring.

Thanks again for your help and suggestions!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
yeah if the center is J I would do J or K trillions...no need for E/F. definitely get some other quotes.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Talk to your jeweler about the pricing on the trilliants. I agree that E/F colors is excessive given your center stone. There are LOTS of diamond dealers out there and what you're looking for is unlikely to be insomeone's stock but they should be able to find it without all that much trouble. See your jeweler as your ally in this process rather than your opponent and, if you decide they aren't representing your interests well, find another jeweler who will. If you're happy with them, be straight about your concerns with them, what you're thinking and what you're considering as alternatives.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results