shape
carat
color
clarity

The lost art of handwriting...

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you think it's still necessary for schools to teach kids cursive in this day and age, what with nearly everything being typed? I've heard some schools no longer teach cursive/penmanship. Seems like a shame to me.

Do you use cursive in your daily life?

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Laila619|1364342863|3414079 said:
Do you think it's still necessary for schools to teach kids cursive in this day and age, what with nearly everything being typed? I've heard some schools no longer teach cursive/penmanship. Seems like a shame to me.

This makes me crazy.. my 14 year old daughter will tell me all the time.. I can't read it mom it's in cursive can you read it to me? :-o I think it's awful.... I guess with time and practice she will learn but she wasn't taught in school.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

yes it is...only the 50 and older pre computer crowd knows how to write in cursive.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock

Not at all. I despise cursive. I am 30, if anyone needs an age reference. We learned cursive until 5th grade and then after that, everything was typed. I see no need for it other than an art form. My printing is much faster than my cursive. I don't know the complete history of cursive, but if it was developed as a way to improve the speed of handwriting, there is no longer a need for it. I don't think it's "a shame" that we don't paint on the walls of caves anymore.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
No I only use cursive really for the outside of envelopes as I like the look of it. However, with that said I wish they would still teach it with penmanship as I think so many young people have awful handwritting that you can barely even read it. I love my DH but if he doesn't type it out it takes me forever to read it because it is basically chicken scratch.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I print everything because my cursive is illegible. I just cannot seem to do it clearly. My typing skills are lacking as well. :oops: ::)

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sarahbear621|1364343724|3414097 said:
No I only use cursive really for the outside of envelopes as I like the look of it. However, with that said I wish they would still teach it with penmanship as I think so many young people have awful handwritting that you can barely even read it. I love my DH but if he doesn't type it out it takes me forever to read it because it is basically chicken scratch.

SO true!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Laila619|1364343981|3414106 said:

SO true!!

Teaching it is no guarantee it will be legible. I was taught it in school and my handwriting is awful.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I personally use cursive everyday when I take notes at meetings etc. I find it much faster than printing. My kids are 10 and 8 and they are learning cursive at school still. When I write them notes, I write in cursive, and they have no problem reading it. I would hate to have them stop teaching it at schools, it's beautiful and looks great on cards.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mayk|1364343112|3414084 said:

This makes me crazy.. my 14 year old daughter will tell me all the time.. I can't read it mom it's in cursive can you read it to me? :-o I think it's awful.... I guess with time and practice she will learn but she wasn't taught in school.

Yes, that is awful, Mayk! It never occurred to me that kids can't even read cursive. Even more reason to teach it IMO!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
not only handwriting,but how many kids can solve a math problem w/o using a electronic calculator?... ::)

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock

I've always taught penmanship using specific programs and handwriting books that our school districts bought. My colleagues in the upper grades at my school teach cursive. I don't because we're still working on basic letter formation at my grade level. I used to teach at a school that introduced cursive in the middle of second grade. That was a bit young, in my opinion.

I do think it's important to teach handwriting, whether it's printing or cursive. I can't say I use it (cursive) often but it has its place. There are some kids who have such trouble writing that, for them, typing most of their work is a good option. For the majority of kids though, I'd say learning proper handwriting is a skill that should be developed.

Having said all of that, I also believe it's important to teach typing/keyboarding to kids at an early age.

jazzoboe

Shiny_Rock
I write in cursive all the time! Just for reference, I'm 25. We learned cursive in 2nd and 3rd grade, at which point we were told "you will hav to write everything in cursive in high school!" Yeah, that was a huge lie. Pretty much everyone I knew stopped using it by junior high, and then we pretty much typed everything. But I started using cursive in college when I took notes because I find it faster since my printed looks terrible unless I write really slow. I'm also a writer, and am one of the freakish few who still prefer to handwrite everything before typing it up, so I filled have many hundreds of pages in cursive in the past few years. I've also started writing with a fountain pen when I can, because I feel like they write so smoothly (if they're good pens) and look nice. Plus I burn through ballpoint pens awfully quick and just buying ink to refill with can be a lot cheaper!

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We should really only stop teaching cursive if we wish to no longer be able to read our own original founding documents. There are probably already a bunch of kids who visit DC and view The Constitution, and ask an adult, "What does it say, I can't read it!" Pretty pathetic.

The arguments against cursive are typically the same used for not funding anything like "art" or "music" as fluff and saying they are strictly unnecessary, and therefore a waste. And they ARE strictly unnecessary - I can go through my life without art, music, literature or any form of my own culture not related to strictly pragmatic concerns - like making money? - but it will be the path of least resistance, a diminished life, and much coarser than it must be. It also says something about how we view communications - they should be cheap and effortless. God forbid we have to do anything that isn't easy, can't make us money at the end of the day, and that and requires effort and application to do well. That path of least resistance again.

I'm a big fan of cursive. Mine used to be quite remarkable, and I even used to do calligraphy - italic, half-uncial, and blackletter. Alas, time has degraded my skill, and now it is an effort to simply write legibly. But I'm glad I know how, and can when necessary (with much attention and application of some old-fashioned effort), and glad I can read it.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
If you can't use cursive, how do you sign your name on a legal document? Print your name? That would be odd I think. Why do all the niceties of life have to go away? When I write thank you notes I always use cursive. But I guess people don't write those either...

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Cind11|1364348635|3414176 said:
If you can't use cursive, how do you sign your name on a legal document? Print your name? That would be odd I think. Why do all the niceties of life have to go away? When I write thank you notes I always use cursive. But I guess people don't write those either...

There is no rule saying that you must sign your name in cursive. Any time I sign a document, check, or even my license and passport, it is my initials in a "doctor" type signature. DH does the same thing.

ETA: Here is one. You don't have to write your full name, just have to have a unique signature for yourself. ejgcheck.jpg

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

My son has a disability that no amount of OT could help--his writing and printing...is well.......thank goodness for typing.

I can write neatly if I choose but nothing can help my printing: and of course it is an excuse--but I am often so rushed at work that my writing looks a scandal. Don't blame my teachers--they tried!

My husband can draw and paint beatifully but I cannot read his writing or printing.

Yet nothing gives me more pleasure than to see beautiful handwriting.

cheers--Sharon

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
Dancing Fire|1364346831|3414143 said:
not only handwriting,but how many kids can solve a math problem w/o using a electronic calculator?... ::)

That is amazingly true. I have a 26-year-old nephew who still can't buckle down and pass a basic algebra class at community college.

When I was taking the pre-entrance exams for nursing school (RN or LPN, it doesn't matter), many of the people applying could not do the pencil-and-paper math that was just grade-school to maybe 8th grade difficulty! And a surprising number also can't manage to do well on the English and grammar section of those tests, either, even though the questions are at worst, high school or GED level of difficulty.

I feel glad that i went through public schools at a time when students actually had to perform adequately on tests in order to move on to the next level or to be graduated from high school.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ksinger|1364348040|3414165 said:
We should really only stop teaching cursive if we wish to no longer be able to read our own original founding documents. There are probably already a bunch of kids who visit DC and view The Constitution, and ask an adult, "What does it say, I can't read it!" Pretty pathetic.

The arguments against cursive are typically the same used for not funding anything like "art" or "music" as fluff and saying they are strictly unnecessary, and therefore a waste. And they ARE strictly unnecessary - I can go through my life without art, music, literature or any form of my own culture not related to strictly pragmatic concerns - like making money? - but it will be the path of least resistance, a diminished life, and much coarser than it must be. It also says something about how we view communications - they should be cheap and effortless. God forbid we have to do anything that isn't easy, can't make us money at the end of the day, and that and requires effort and application to do well. That path of least resistance again.

Well said, ksinger! :appl:

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sonnyjane|1364343638|3414093 said:

Not at all. I despise cursive. I am 30, if anyone needs an age reference. We learned cursive until 5th grade and then after that, everything was typed. I see no need for it other than an art form. My printing is much faster than my cursive. I don't know the complete history of cursive, but if it was developed as a way to improve the speed of handwriting, there is no longer a need for it. I don't think it's "a shame" that we don't paint on the walls of caves anymore.

sonnyjane, I don't think it's the same thing.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Laila619|1364350660|3414206 said:
sonnyjane|1364343638|3414093 said:

sonnyjane, I don't think it's the same thing.

That's obviously an extreme example, but can you argue why cursive is necessary? I dislike programs like music and art being cut from schools for not being "necessary", because I do see the value in those programs, but can you explain to me why cursive, over just regular handwriting, should be a required skill?

I liken it to me learning Latin in 5th and 6th grade. That is a cool skill. It's neat to see how so many other languages originated, but frankly, unless I plan to become a Catholic priest, Latin isn't very crucial in the modern world. If someone wants to learn it for fun, have at it! But I wouldn't require it.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Zoe|1364352052|3414231 said:
Sonnyjane, here's an article on why learning cursive is important. It has to do with fine motor control and brain development. Also, fun fact, apparently January 23rd is National Handwriting Day. :bigsmile:

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/memory-medic/201303/what-learning-cursive-does-your-brain

Thanks for posting. I'm not a totally closed-minded person, and I don't disagree that learning cursive almost certainly provides benefits over NOT learning cursive, but are those benefits really worth it? As someone posted earlier, they way my generation was taught cursive was by telling us "once you get older you will HAVE to write in cursive!", but that's simply not true. I would much prefer art, PE, or music to cursive if it came down to it. I know it doesn't usually come down to that for budget reasons, and so in that case, I think learning cursive over not doing ANYTHING would be great, but to lament about the loss of cursive not because of what it does for brain development but because "kids these days can't read the words of the founding fathers" are two separate things entirely.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Zoe|1364352052|3414231 said:
Sonnyjane, here's an article on why learning cursive is important. It has to do with fine motor control and brain development. Also, fun fact, apparently January 23rd is National Handwriting Day. :bigsmile:

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/memory-medic/201303/what-learning-cursive-does-your-brain[/quote

For what its worth, both of my kids were taught cursive first as toddlers at a Montessori school. The teachers explained that cursive is more fluid and easier for young kids, due to still-developing motor skills which make it easier to make curved lines vs straight lines, hence it was taught before printing.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, and cursive has advantages for children with learning disabilities with the tendency to reverse letters, etc.

Bottom line, cursive was dropped from many state's curriculum when state testing became the end-all of education. The tested subjects were taught and the others were basically dropped or reduced. The kids I tutor today don't even form their manuscript letters correctly, which is a shame.

Let me say that I believe in accountability and testing to some extent does provide that. But it has really done some damage, as well, because testing is too much of an emphasis in some places.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
missy said:
Teaching it is no guarantee it will be legible. I was taught it in school and my handwriting is awful.

Ditto! I have horrible handwriting. Truly awful. My teachers tried everything to try and improve it when I was young. I remember having to use those things you put on a pencil to give you the correct grip (anyone know what I'm talking about?). I'd get straight O+s and an S- in handwriting. Sometimes I can't even read stuff
I've written.

And for cursive, I can mostly do it. There are a few capital letters that I'd have to invent, though.

cygnet

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I am 25 and I use cursive more often than I print.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
sonnyjane|1364348927|3414183 said:
Cind11|1364348635|3414176 said:

There is no rule saying that you must sign your name in cursive. Any time I sign a document, check, or even my license and passport, it is my initials in a "doctor" type signature. DH does the same thing.

ETA: Here is one. You don't have to write your full name, just have to have a unique signature for yourself. ejgcheck.jpg

Well I guess I learned something. Interesting.

cm366

Shiny_Rock
Like many skills, it's a fond memory of school and an ongoing joy for people who were good at it, and a misery for those who weren't. Teaching fine motor skills? Sure, just like any other fine motor skill - the more you practice, the better you get. I'd support cursive as an elective class in high school or university, just like calligraphy, metalworking or dance. I wouldn't make it mandatory for anyone - it's about as necessary as being able to ride a horse.

As far as reading foundational documents - I'd point out that American society is ultimately founded on texts written in Middle English, Greek and Latin. The founders could have read those texts, but fewer than 1% of living Americans could read any one of them today, and most high school kids have difficulty with Shakespeare transformed to modern typography.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I write in cursive when:

I leave notes for my husband.
I address invitations.
I write thank you notes.

It's a very personal form of written communication, to me, and I take a lot of pride in my penmanship because I really practiced making it pretty and perfect when I was in grade school. My mother has exquisite penmanship whether she writes in cursive or print, and, growing up, I always wished my cursive was as lovely as hers. Mine is totally different, but you can see the influence of hers in mine if you compare samples. I've saved every single hand-written card or letter either of my parents ever wrote me before and after I moved away from home, because I always valued the time and care they took to do so, and because I knew if I ever had a family (how distant that dream seemed when I was in my twenties!) I would want my children and grandchildren to read what my parents had written to me.

I wrote my daughter a letter (to be opened on her 18th birthday) in cursive, and plan to write her one each year with that purpose in mind, a few weeks after she was born.

I'm 35. I still remember the texture of the lined paper on which I learned cursive in 2nd grade. In fact, I can actually smell that paper in my mind if I think about it hard enough. Greyish paper, medium blue, bold top and bottom lines, with red dashes in the middle for extra guidance. I'm pretty sure my mother has faded examples of my first attempts at penmanship tucked away in a box. :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results