shape
carat
color
clarity

The looting is real

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There's plenty of videos that are going around where people are noticing piles of bricks being delivered to "certain areas"....

this is why I said protesting is not looting. Lots of this is premeditated.

sstephensid

Shiny_Rock
I lost all respect for any of them when they defaced memorials and monuments and businesses with their nasty graffiti.

Truly, at this point I don't know why the stores haven't locked everything in safes (those that have them) by now when they close.

Lost respect for any of who?

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
My quiet suburban town had looting and riots as well. Fires set too. Same as original post. Peaceful protests during daylight followed by chaos at night. It can happen anywhere.

The daytime protest had our mayor jointing in with the protesters and that was great to see. Real change is needed in our country.

I feel the president is inciting and throwing flames on the inequality.

I think the best thing we can do is vote.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's crazy. During the day there are peaceful protests; people with strollers, young kids, people playing music, etc. At night it's chaos. I usually walk to Atlantic (near Barclay's) in Brooklyn for groceries and it's heartbreaking. I hope and pray for peace and change. It's scary to listen to all the screams and sirens all night. Takes me back to when I was in the refugee camps and having to run and hide when groups of bandits come to rob/terrorize us. I know it's not the same but it's triggering nightmares and panic attacks. :(2

I do not know your story, dizzyakira. Is it posted in a thread somewhere? (If so, please post a link.) I would like to know what this reference is to. I am very sorry that you lived through such a traumatic experience.

Hugs.
Deb

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Peaceful protests do not incite change because white America doesn't respect the value of black lives. They respect the monetary value of property.

If you enjoy 8hr workdays, the right to vote (women), gay rights, child labor laws (just a few examples), then you too are the beneficiary of change affected by violent protests/rebellion.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Peaceful protests do not incite change because white America doesn't respect the value of black lives. They respect the monetary value of property.

If you enjoy 8hr workdays, the right to vote (women), gay rights, child labor laws (just a few examples), then you too are the beneficiary of change affected by violent protests/rebellion.

I studied The Progressive Era as an undergrad.I thought of The Pullman railroad strike.

"The strikers reacted with fury to the appearance of the troops. On July 4 they and their sympathizers overturned railcars and erected barricades to prevent troops from reaching the yards. ARU leaders could do nothing, prevented by the injunction from any communication with the workers. On July 6 some 6,000 rioters destroyed hundreds of railcars in the South Chicago Panhandle yards.

By that time, there were some 6,000 federal and state troops, 3,100 police, and 5,000 deputy marshals in the city, but they could not contain the violence. On July 7 national guardsmen, after having been assaulted, fired into a mob, killing between 4 and 30 people and wounding many others. Debs then tried to call off the strike, urging that all workers except those convicted of crimes be rehired without prejudice. But the General Managers’ Association, the federation of railroads that had overseen the response to the strike, refused and instead began hiring nonunion workers. The strike dwindled, and trains began to move with increasing frequency until normal schedules had been restored. Federal troops were recalled on July 20. The Pullman Company, which reopened on August 2, agreed to rehire the striking workers on the condition that they sign a pledge never to join a union. By the time it ended, the ordeal had cost the railroads millions of dollars in lost revenue and in looted and damaged property, and the strikers had lost more than $1 million in wages."

Last edited:

GreenPapaya

Brilliant_Rock
@AGBF I didn't post my life story. It's really not that interesting. But I am a former refugee from Cambodia. I came to the usa in the late 80s. I was born in the Khmer Rouge work camps between 1975 or 78. My family snuck over the border to Thailand to the red cross refugee camps. Then my mom made liquor from our rice allowance and we were able to bribe/ sweeten our names into the lottery and was picked to come here. Once here, I worked in NJ factories and picking/ sorting fruits in farms since I was 11 years old. Got full academic and rotc scholarships to college, served in the army for 4 years and now living in NYC. Sorry to divert from the thread subject!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much for sharing, dizzyakira. In my opinion, your life story is very interesting and also inspirational.It sounds full of hardship, and I do not even know the details. I am so glad you are safely here.

@AGBF I didn't post my life story. It's really not that interesting. But I am a former refugee from Cambodia. I came to the usa in the late 80s. I was born in the Khmer Rouge work camps between 1975 or 78. My family snuck over the border to Thailand to the red cross refugee camps. Then my mom made liquor from our rice allowance and we were able to bribe/ sweeten our names into the lottery and was picked to come here. Once here, I worked in NJ factories and picking/ sorting fruits in farms since I was 11 years old. Got full academic and rotc scholarships to college, served in the army for 4 years and now living in NYC. Sorry to divert from the thread subject!

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
But losing respect would mean you previously had respect for them. “Losing all respect for any of them” makes it seem much more broad than just the looters. Would it be inclusive of all protestors, including those peacefully protesting?

Respect for PEOPLE, dont try to read things into my comments that arent there.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is a whole lot of gaslighting going on in here.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I wish they could use dye pack systems on these looters.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Update from 47th St!
Plywood is mostly gone- all windows intact!!

I did hear false reports of looting....one example: there was a news report that the Rolex store was looted for 2.4mil in watches.
Yes, the store was broken into, and NO- there were no watches sitting around for the looters to steal.
The store had been closed for months when this happened and all the watches were locked in a safe...
I saw a youtube of a guy driving around NYC showing all the places that had plywood- and declaring that all had been looted- which was simply not true. There was looting- but it was very limited- ( still heartbreaking but not as bad as many outlets reported)

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
There is a whole lot of gaslighting going on in here.

Big stakes election time. The spin doctors (every party, every cause) are hard at it peddling their unique truth.

Ugh, I need another glass of wine.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
LOL, that's a great idea!

I've been sitting around killing time thinking of diabolical pay backs for looters. Add honey and feathers, paint... No one gets hurt, they just get decorated. Food coloring would work great to "dye" clothing. I wonder where someone could buy skunk stink.

Why is no one making this a less desirable outcome?
Not only that, cameras to catch the fun would be internet gold.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results