shape
carat
color
clarity

the infamous setting question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

giftgoddess

Rough_Rock
I fell in love with the classic tiffany, six prong, soltaire on a platinum band ring. I realize now, after extensive research- that it was most certainly the setting that I fell in love with, as I know I can get just as stunning a diamond on a platinum band (for much less money) elsewhere. BUT- i have yet to see one six prong setting that rivals Tiffany. There are not nearly as delicate...they are "taller"...they are generally jutting right out of the band, rather than the band going completely around, uninterrupted, and the setting above that. I am beginning to think that Tiffany can charge the money they do, b/c that setting is so coveted, and you just can''t get it anywhere else. They own it- and they are marking up a fortune b/c of it. Is there a patent?? I mean, honestly, is there a reason why it is IMPOSSIBLE to find that exact setting anywhere else....and does anyone else on this board feel as frustrated as I do!?!? I am looking for a 2.5 carat stone- color D,E or F...clarity no lower that VS2. My budget is about 25k. I can not get what I am looking for at Tiffanys without spending at least 35k...and I can not find a setting I could deal with outside of Tiffany''s. So basically I am screwed right now. I need someone to point me in the right direction. Thanks!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I may have missed it but...what is your actual question? This question has come up a few times in the last few days, and I think a few stones were posted for you to check out in another thread, ??

To answer the one question that you did ask, the best 'right direction' I can point you to is the diamond tutorial on Pricescope. If you have not already read it, you should. Then run a search on Pricescope for some stones. You have all the parameters, it shouldn't be difficult to find stones in your range.

By the way I think at this point right now, everyone is Tiffanied out....
2.gif
Lets talk about Cartier.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
I don't think I've ever seen an equivalent, other than one I vaguely remember that I think was a custom ring made by Juan of Van Graff. That may be your best bet--to have it custom-made.

giftgoddess

Rough_Rock
my question in a nutshell is:

i am NOT of the breed of people that MUST have a Tiffany ring. I get it. you can get just as beautiful, if not MORE beautiful a stone, for less, elsewhere.

HOWEVER-
i have fallen in love with the setting they provide, and after searching extensively, have not found a good copy anywhere else.

SO- i am torn- b/c i can not afford to get the size stone i want at tiffanys...

but i can not find a setting i like elsewhere.

basically i am searching searching searching for someone who truly can point me in the right direction as far as someone who can replicate the tiffany setting. all the ones i have seen are NOT ANYTHING LIKE IT. yes, tney have 6 prongs..but that's it!!!! HELP PLEASE!!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Did you try surfing eBay to find a Tiffany ring for sale? You could just essentially buy the setting if you can find a good deal?

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Goddess,

See my reply to your other "setting" thread. It's a picture of the Juan Manuel repro that Hest was referring to. It's one of his standard models, not a custom job.

Lanee

Brilliant_Rock
Mara, I just read a post on DT posted by Diamond Brokers of Florida regarding Tiffany jewelry sold an ebay. Three people have been arrested for selling knockoffs even stamped and with the right packaging.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes I saw something similar on here Lanee. Surely should be careful when purchasing from eBay but there are authentic rings on there that are sold when an engagement breaks or similar. Maybe one of these guys who wants the 'real' setting can snap up a real deal.

gilmore

Rough_Rock
I know of a company where you can have basically ring you want custom made and they have excellant prices for diamonds as well. try ultimatediamond.com
n 5/2/2003 8:29
6.gif
8 AM giftgoddess wrote:

I fell in love with the classic tiffany, six prong, soltaire on a platinum band ring. I realize now, after extensive research- that it was most certainly the setting that I fell in love with, as I know I can get just as stunning a diamond on a platinum band (for much less money) elsewhere. BUT- i have yet to see one six prong setting that rivals Tiffany. There are not nearly as delicate...they are "taller"...they are generally jutting right out of the band, rather than the band going completely around, uninterrupted, and the setting above that. I am beginning to think that Tiffany can charge the money they do, b/c that setting is so coveted, and you just can't get it anywhere else. They own it- and they are marking up a fortune b/c of it. Is there a patent?? I mean, honestly, is there a reason why it is IMPOSSIBLE to find that exact setting anywhere else....and does anyone else on this board feel as frustrated as I do!?!? I am looking for a 2.5 carat stone- color D,E or F...clarity no lower that VS2. My budget is about 25k. I can not get what I am looking for at Tiffanys without spending at least 35k...and I can not find a setting I could deal with outside of Tiffany's. So basically I am screwed right now. I need someone to point me in the right direction. Thanks!
----------------
[/quote]

Final Cut

Rough_Rock
gift ... there are some pretty cool settings at cooldiamonds.com (but I cannot seem to get their pages loaded).

I still think you should keep looking for the setting, but it sounds to me like you want the 'tiffany experience' as well, which you will only get at Tiffany's !!!

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results