shape
carat
color
clarity

The hunt begins...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Rock Rookie

Rough_Rock
I''m putting together an engagement ring. I''d like a solitaire RB v. princess with platinum band with pave v. channel-set stones (probably channel baguettes). I want the best quality I can afford (like most of the posters on PB). Can you guys help me with the following?...

1. I don''t know much about princesses. They seem harder to objectively grade and supposedly have less fire, but I wonder if one would have a better contour with the ring than an RB.

2. I''m looking for a E-F, VVS1-VS1 ACA (or non-WF equivalent)/Id/Id. My budget puts me in the 1.2ct range for RB''s. I have no idea how big that looks on the finger of a petite 5''6" woman. I don''t want her to feel self conscious at work with a monster rock and I am comfortable with a small near perfect stone as long as it looks just a little bigger than proportional. I have no idea what her ring size is.

3. I want a killer setting. I''ve checked out Leon Mege and I really like some of his work, like his martini stud settings and his channel-set anniversary band and his double-row asscher band. I know he''s expensive (I''ll soon find out how expensive) but I appreciate that extra quality for a once in a lifetime (hopefully) purchase. Are there any other accessible jewelers with a portfolio like his? I want clean, modern but classic with subtle brilliance (not a ton of micro-pave and millegrain).

With the wealth of experience on this site, I can''t go wrong. Thanks for your help.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
is there any chance that you can find out if your girlfriend has any preference for round vs. princess? many ladies have strong feelings one way or the other. rounds for me!
21.gif

otherwise it sounds like you are off to a good start. You definitely can''t go wrong with a Leon, if he fits into your budget. Might also look into Mark Morrell, who is known for amazing, fluid, clean type pieces.

sera

Ideal_Rock
Leon isn't outrageously expensive (I am considering him or Ritani or maybe even a similarly designed custom); it appears to me that his level of craftmanship is well worth the added expense if it's something that is within budget. I am in the minority here where I am willing to have a significant portion of my budget going towards the setting (I too, want a killer setting!); most here would rather have that extra money going into the center stone... it's personal preference and you will have to determine how best to allocate your money. There are a lot of options for clean, classic looks... but to me, Leon's work sure stands out to me (though I'm keeping Mark T. from ERD as a possible option)... perhaps some PS'ers would know of another vendor that is equally skilled?

From what I have heard here, the ACA princess is about the best you can get, so if you decide on a princess, I think you could trust Whiteflash to help you pick a stunning stone. (Keep in mind that the higher clarity will up the price instead of paying less for a lower clarity while maintaining an eye clean stone.)

Do you know what "she" prefers? RB and princess are very different (same with pave and channel); if you haven't already, you may want to find out because she may have a strong preference for one or the other.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is best to find out her preferences before doing anything. I, for one, would be upset to be surprised with a princess cut stone (no offense to those who love them). In addition, you should not have a custom made ring made without knowing her exact size. These are things you really need to know. Oh, and also you need to know her preferences on setting styles unless you plan to set the stone in a plain, inexpensive tiffany-style setting and let her choose the setting later. (Look through Leon Mege''s site at rings..very expensive rings, and see how many are princess versus round, emerald, and asscher.)

As far as rounds go, I think a 1.25 is a lovely size and not too big. Mark Morrell fits your description of setting style, but you may have to wait for him to have time to do a custom project.

http://www.mwmjewelry.com/

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results