carat
color
clarity

The Holly and The Ivy*Christmas Music 2015

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rainwood|1449886242|3960458 said:
I've gotten great recommendations from these threads over the years, and mentioned some of my favorites years ago. One of my favorite Christmas CD's is by Luther Vandross. I love the whole thing, but found a video of one of my favorites - "Every Year, Every Christmas." It's so touching though sad. And "This Is Christmas" is so uplifting. I couldn't find a video for that one but "Every Year" is a really nice video to go with a great song. I hope the link works as I've never done one before!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=73oZyC6Jc30

I enjoyed listening to, "Every Year, Every Christmas" but I did find it sad. I also got distracted trying to figure out what train station he was supposed to be in. I am sure that it was a generic one! Thank you for sharing that. It was not your everyday Christmas song.

Deb :wavey:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found a version of, "The Holly and The Ivy" that I had been unaware of before today while looking around on the Internet. It is by Natalie Cole and was recommended on a website where mothers recommend the best songs for children. Her version of this song was praised for being easy to understand, which it is. She sings slowly and enunciates clearly. Children (and everyone else) can clearly hear the lyrics. Usually I like this song done with complex harmonies, but Miss Cole's rendition was lovely.

"The Holly and The Ivy"...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WN4huhTKbnM

Deb/AGBF

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1449913773|3960592 said:
rainwood|1449886242|3960458 said:
"This Is Christmas" is so uplifting. I couldn't find a video for that one....

rainwood-

Here is a link to a video:

"This is Christmas"...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trFv63cMk4M

Deb/AGBF

Thanks, Deb! You're clearly a much better searcher than I am. I don't love the video as much as the song, but it was fun seeing Cissy Houston, Whitney's mom.

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
AGBF|1449796765|3960019 said:
Amber St. Clare|1449795881|3960011 said:

Oh, Amber. Thank you so much for sharing that. I do not believe I have ever seen that. If I have, I did not recall it. At first I got chills, then tears came to my eyes. I had expected an Irish band, but when the narrative moved beyond the police on September 11 to the firemen, ...with reverence for everyone, for the lives of all people, I just gave in and cried. The bravery of the firemen of September 11 got to me as no one else did, and I tried to raise as much money as I could on eBay's Auction for America for their families when it was held. Every year when Karl posts his tribute, I remember them going up the stairs in the twin towers in their heavy gear and boots as everyone all the other people who could escape streamed down. God bless all the people who lost their lives or limbs in those disasters or our wars. And God bless you for posting this.

Hugs,

I'm glad you love it. I did a little googling about the band and found that this band is comprised of NYC Teachers, NYPD, FDNY, and Contracters - the heart and soul of New York. Tribute song to all their friends and the thousands of others lost on that day,

I know they do gigs, we at one time had tickets for a performance, but it as cancelled and never rescheduled.

eta to admit the following embarrassing fact: I'm listening to Hanson's Snowed Inn. The Silent Night/Oh Holy Night is one of my all-time favorites.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amber St. Clare|1449960036|3960759 said:

Oh, Amber. Thank you so much for sharing that. I do not believe I have ever seen that. If I have, I did not recall it. At first I got chills, then tears came to my eyes. I had expected an Irish band, but when the narrative moved beyond the police on September 11 to the firemen, ...with reverence for everyone, for the lives of all people, I just gave in and cried. The bravery of the firemen of September 11 got to me as no one else did, and I tried to raise as much money as I could on eBay's Auction for America for their families when it was held. Every year when Karl posts his tribute, I remember them going up the stairs in the twin towers in their heavy gear and boots as everyone all the other people who could escape streamed down. God bless all the people who lost their lives or limbs in those disasters or our wars. And God bless you for posting this.

Hugs,

I'm glad you love it. I did a little googling about the band and found that this band is comprised of NYC Teachers, NYPD, FDNY, and Contracters - the heart and soul of New York. Tribute song to all their friends and the thousands of others lost on that day,

I know they do gigs, we at one time had tickets for a performance, but it as cancelled and never rescheduled.

eta to admit the following embarrassing fact: I'm listening to Hanson's Snowed Inn. The Silent Night/Oh Holy Night is one of my all-time favorites.

Amber! They are having one tonight!

You caused me to look it up!

http://www.muls.com/upcoming-events/shilelagh-law-1st-annual-irish-christmas-show/

"Come down for the first ever Shilelagh Law Irish Christmas Party. Complimentary admission for police officers, firefighters and first responders !"

Deb/AGBF

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ray Charles singing, "The Spirit of Christmas"...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaAdg_l38Cc&feature=youtu.be

There is a lot of information about Ray Charles available on the YouTube site where this song is located. I found it interesting since I knew so little about him and the musical influences that formed his music. I could clearly hear gospel music in this song as I listened. I had to remind myself that he did not compose the song, however. I do not know how responsible he was for the gospel sound and how responsible the composers were.

I know very little about soul music. I grew up with very high church music. In school we learned carols like, "The Holly and The Ivy". As a teenager I gravitated towards classical folk musical it was the 1960's and singers like Joan Baez were popular. I probably heard more Cajun music and French music than I did American soul music. Now I am encountering some of the charm of the Christmas classics I missed when I was young, Christmas songs like those sung by Ray Charles and Natalie Cole.

Deb/AGBF

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The choir master for the choirs that I sing with, came up with his own arrangement for Winter Wonderland, and IMHO, it is better than other versions that I could find on YouTube. Shame that we had not recorded it to be able to share, sorry.

DK :))

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unusual version of the prayer, "Ave Maria" set to music by Michal Lorenc along with a lovely, evocative video*...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66zUY8UZn4M

*The actress Olivia Hussey plays the role of the Virgin Mary

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
AGBF|1449964309|3960778 said:
Amber St. Clare|1449960036|3960759 said:

Hugs,

Amber! They are having one tonight!

You caused me to look it up!

http://www.muls.com/upcoming-events/shilelagh-law-1st-annual-irish-christmas-show/

"Come down for the first ever Shilelagh Law Irish Christmas Party. Complimentary admission for police officers, firefighters and first responders !"

Deb/AGBF

Unfortunately, I read this two days too late! However, now that I've gotten the site thanks to you, I'll watch out for another concert at another time. Thank you so much

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"The Season's Upon Us" by The Dropkick Murphys, a song to which I was introduced here on Pricescope one year. It is very much in keeping with the Irish band sound that Amber introduced a few days ago, but is highly irreverent. Typical Irish. ;))

Link...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTx-sdR6Yzk

Deb/AGBF

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
AGBF|1450213546|3961885 said:
"The Season's Upon Us" by The Dropkick Murphys, a song to which I was introduced here on Pricescope one year. It is very much in keeping with the Irish band sound that Amber introduced a few days ago, but is highly irreverent. Typical Irish. ;))

Link...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTx-sdR6Yzk

Deb/AGBF

Fun! I laughed off most of my eye make-up!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A truly joyous version of, "Feliz Navidad" complete with clear vocals, nice movement, and harmony by Michael Bublé and Thalia. One that makes my heart sing!

Feliz Navidad...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zPBpvy4m1I

Deb/AGBF

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ellen|1450658432|3964036 said:
I would like to add a fourth rendition of "Hallelujah", my personal favorite.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bycm7MxxqDaZZ0M1R1pldTBadk0/view?pli=1

And to my friend Deb, I am wishing you a wonderful Christmas. {hugs} :wavey:

Thank you, Ellen. Thank you for sharing in this thread. I knew this song (and this version) due to you and I, also, think it is lovely. When you first posted it, years ago, I had no idea it was based on a composition by Leonard Cohen. I love Leonard Cohen. I loved him since I was about 15 years old, which is now 49 years ago. Perhaps I was even younger! But I like the Cloverton version of the song better than Cohen's own version, which is not always the case. (I remember comparing his version of "Suzanne" with that of Judy Collins.)

I wish you a very Merry Christmas!

Big Hugs,

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"Oh What A Night In Bethlehem" by Sawyer Brown...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEH6HvNPmfA

This is only one of several beautiful songs from a new Christmas album by Sawyer Brown. It is a religious album although the group is a country group, not a Christian group. The review of the album I read said that it is unusual for a popular country group to put out an album like this. Apparently, the popular groups usually try to aim for a more general appeal. The reviewer found it refreshing that a popular group would do an album like this.

I, frankly, like the sound. Just as I always did with songs such as Sawyer Brown's, "Some Girls Do". I find the melodies modern and the harmonies very appealing.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
(This was a double post.)

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1448892845|3955592 said:
Where is Holly? I think it is far too egotistical to think she isn't here just because of me, becauseI did something to offend her, but I keep thinking that somehow if I had done everything "right", she would be here in this thread where she belongs! She is always here by the end of November!

Holly, come home!!!

Sorry, Deb. I'm here, just late to the party. It has been a busy Christmas season for me, and I should be doing some last minute things right now . . . but I had to say "Hey!" I knew you would start the thread and keep it going; I had complete confidence in you. ;))

One of my all time favorite carols done to absolute perfection: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPRFk8sLIPw
Merry Christmas!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HollyS|1450899115|3965387 said:
AGBF|1448892845|3955592 said:
Where is Holly? I think it is far too egotistical to think she isn't here just because of me, becauseI did something to offend her, but I keep thinking that somehow if I had done everything "right", she would be here in this thread where she belongs! She is always here by the end of November!

Holly, come home!!!

Sorry, Deb. I'm here, just late to the party. It has been a busy Christmas season for me, and I should be doing some last minute things right now . . . but I had to say "Hey!" I knew you would start the thread and keep it going; I had complete confidence in you. ;))

One of my all time favorite carols done to absolute perfection: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPRFk8sLIPw
Merry Christmas!

Thank you for the vote of confidence, Holly. I was really happy to see you tonight, although I first saw you in another thread and was left wondering whether you had stopped by here. I am so glad you did...for old time's sake. And the carol for which you provided a link is exquisite. The music is so refined and complex. I also loved the accompanying film with the sound of the wind and the beautiful horses. Thank you for sharing that. And Merry Christmas.

Hugs,
Deb

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results