shape
carat
color
clarity

the foster cat thread....temporary fur-baby stories, tips, and questions

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi all - we just started fostering cats a few weeks ago for a local rescue org and I know there are some experienced fosters/pet owners here who might have advice.

Our first one is a 9 month old siamese mix that was adopted Thursday and returned today....the attempted adopter said she was going stir crazy and knocking things over in his apartment. We haven't observed that behavior in our home. Anyone have advice for discerning how a pet will fit in to a new home?

I've been pinging the rescue organizers w/ questions but would love to get thoughts from anyone here who has dealt with a foster cat being returned. o_O

Attachments

• 2018-04-27.jpg
    2018-04-27.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 25

DAF

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
First thing is it takes time for some animals to adjust to new surroundings. Was she left alone during the day? She may have had anxiety about that and being in a new environment. You also have to cat proof your home, they knock things over. It appears the adopter didn't have the patience to work with kitty. Maybe he shouldn't adopt.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
First thing is it takes time for some animals to adjust to new surroundings. Was she left alone during the day? She may have had anxiety about that and being in a new environment. You also have to cat proof your home, they knock things over. It appears the adopter didn't have the patience to work with kitty. Maybe he shouldn't adopt.

Yes I think he was overwhelmed but I would have thought she'd do well as an apartment cat. I'm wondering if I have to look for a different type of household for her going forward.

She's a sweet pea.....

P1020151.JPG

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

This.

Also, that's the young Siamese for you, that's what they do. I really admire you for being able to do this, the only advice I have is that when I acquire a new baby, I expect many many personal questions to be fired my way and I have absolutely no problem with that. In fact, if an animal is blithely handed over and I haven't had the second degree interrogation, I question it.o_O

A person who is serious about adopting won't mind being grilled and will ask you questions to make sure both pet and prospective adopter are happy.

DAF

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
She's a tortie? That adds more to the mix. Siamese are demanding, and tortoiseshell cats have "tortitude". I just think sometimes there's the perfect fit (and easy adjustment), and sometimes not.

BTW, I melt with kitten photos.

Did she have a friend in foster care? Maybe adopting as a pair would ease both cats' adjustment.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
She's a tortie? That adds more to the mix. Siamese are demanding, and tortoiseshell cats have "tortitude". I just think sometimes there's the perfect fit (and easy adjustment), and sometimes not.

Did she have a friend in foster care? Maybe adopting as a pair would ease both cats' adjustment.

I have two Torties and they have lashings of ' Tortitude' for sure.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This.

Also, that's the young Siamese for you, that's what they do. I really admire you for being able to do this, the only advice I have is that when I acquire a new baby, I expect many many personal questions to be fired my way and I have absolutely no problem with that. In fact, if an animal is blithely handed over and I haven't had the second degree interrogation, I question it.o_O

A person who is serious about adopting won't mind being grilled and will ask you questions to make sure both pet and prospective adopter are happy.

Great advice. I thought I was upfront about her needs but didn't grill him since he was a approved adopter. I remember when I got my dog I had to answer a lot of hypothetical questions (what would you do if your animal bit someone? Etc.)...will add that kind of discussion in going forward. ;)2

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yep, she's a tortie point. I'm familiar w/ Siamese but haven't had a Tortoiseshell before, need to read up on this! I have batch of very small kittens coming today, so we'll be fostering a half dozen:eek2::mrgreen2:. Will see how she is interacting with them after a slow introduction and if that helps. It's just so weird because she's relatively mellow around the house and easily amuses herself with toys when she's in a frisky mood.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gah....how will you ever get anything done with those little sweeties to cuddle???? Gorgeous!

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i know....my day is off to an unproductive start already :lol-2::lol-2::lol-2:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kitten photos at your service. first time fostering such little ones...:kiss2:

20180429_222120.jpg

20180429_222730.jpg

Awww! Thank you for fostering @bludiva :appl::appl::appl:
You are an angel on earth and if more people could extend themselves and open their hearts and homes or at least do something to help the plight of these animals the world would be a much better place.

Thank you!!!
taverymuch.gif
nworthy2.gif
rockon2.gif
thum12.gif
luv12.gif

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy you are way too kind...we are lucky to live in a no kill city and it's heartening to see more innovative shelters and animal programs popping up around the country. i think i remember you do TNR or feral cat care...that is such a labor of love :kiss2:

DAF

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
OMG! The're adorable. I'm partial to the Siamese, though :)

DAF

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Tortie's usually are a little different, attitude wise.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tortie's usually are a little different, attitude wise.

I read up on it after your initial post and the tortie point does have some of that "i own the world" attitude which conforms to the stereotype =) she's a great cat and is going to make her forever home very happy. :roll2:

daneshpastry

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I tried to work with a local foster agency - the first cat they gave me was a nightmare and virtually unadoptable. Even after having her in my home for more than a month, she was still really nasty to me, always acting hostile and aggressive. Of course, I don't blame her, per se, because I don't know what her background was, but it was tiresome - I commend those who can do this on a regular basis.

In the end - I had a few people come and visit, with no takers. Finally a lovely lady came along who was patient enough to take on the challenge. I felt like a car salesman by the end. That was the first and last cat I fostered (I have a background in working at cat shelters - I thought I was prepared).

So my advice would be - patience patience patience. And always assume people are ignorant to an animal's needs...make them prove they can handle it. The thought of someone "returning" a cat because they knocked things over is infuriating.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I tried to work with a local foster agency - the first cat they gave me was a nightmare and virtually unadoptable. Even after having her in my home for more than a month, she was still really nasty to me, always acting hostile and aggressive. Of course, I don't blame her, per se, because I don't know what her background was, but it was tiresome - I commend those who can do this on a regular basis.

In the end - I had a few people come and visit, with no takers. Finally a lovely lady came along who was patient enough to take on the challenge. I felt like a car salesman by the end. That was the first and last cat I fostered (I have a background in working at cat shelters - I thought I was prepared).

So my advice would be - patience patience patience. And always assume people are ignorant to an animal's needs...make them prove they can handle it. The thought of someone "returning" a cat because they knocked things over is infuriating.

yep, i think there are some important questions that aren't asked in the application process so i will be trying to suss those things out with future adopters.

sorry about your experience! hopefully most orgs would start off new fosters with easy cases. i lucked out in that we didn't know what we were getting but both batches so far have been social and healthy and behave normally.

daneshpastry

Shiny_Rock
Premium
yep, i think there are some important questions that aren't asked in the application process so i will be trying to suss those things out with future adopters.

sorry about your experience! hopefully most orgs would start off new fosters with easy cases. i lucked out in that we didn't know what we were getting but both batches so far have been social and healthy and behave normally.

I really felt the foster agency tried to dupe me into taking a cat that I would eventually keep. I'm glad yours is legitimate in its endeavors.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't feel bad about asking questions. It also serves to give you time to watch them interact with the cats. You can see if they hit it off or (more likely) that the person is patient and willing to go at the speed the cat needs.

Things I run into with my cats that some adopters haven't considered...

Cable chewing (power cords, speaker wire, etc) -- is the person ready to put wire covers on if needed? If a cat chews wires, it also means making sure nothing is plugged into power while unsupervised if the cat can get to it.

Litter boxes -- how many cats? How many boxes? Understand some cats don't like certain litter. Ready to try different litters/boxes/etc until happy cat?

Food -- grazing or meals? Ready to change that to fit what the cat needs? (Some can't graze or they will massively over eat...)

Vet -- who is primary vet? Who is their emergency vet? (Since animals don't always get sick during office hours... If they don't have one (ER vet), provide a few suggestions.)

INDOOR ONLY (I don't know any rescue that does other than this.)

If not already altered, when and where will they take? (BTW, cats MUST be spayed or they do end up with serious infection. I had one girl too sickly to spay and know this first-hand...)

What if the cat starts having potty accidents at some point in life?

How do they feel about declawing? Crazy anyone would consider but... sometimes it doesn't go without asking.

Cat proofing can include locks on all closets, latches on all cupboards, covered wires, disposal of all house plants, forever skipping cut flowers in the house, and more.

Also in the list of destroyed... All houseplants, crystal candy dish (from on top of refrigerator), vase, countless shirts, sleeping bags, pedal to keyboard, a couple of French presses, wine glasses (full dumped on beige couch), books, blankets, rib roast....

They chew, claw, slip, get sick, have accidents, and explore everywhere.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't feel bad about asking questions. It also serves to give you time to watch them interact with the cats. You can see if they hit it off or (more likely) that the person is patient and willing to go at the speed the cat needs.

Things I run into with my cats that some adopters haven't considered...

Cable chewing (power cords, speaker wire, etc) -- is the person ready to put wire covers on if needed? If a cat chews wires, it also means making sure nothing is plugged into power while unsupervised if the cat can get to it.

Litter boxes -- how many cats? How many boxes? Understand some cats don't like certain litter. Ready to try different litters/boxes/etc until happy cat?

Food -- grazing or meals? Ready to change that to fit what the cat needs? (Some can't graze or they will massively over eat...)

Vet -- who is primary vet? Who is their emergency vet? (Since animals don't always get sick during office hours... If they don't have one (ER vet), provide a few suggestions.)

INDOOR ONLY (I don't know any rescue that does other than this.)

If not already altered, when and where will they take? (BTW, cats MUST be spayed or they do end up with serious infection. I had one girl too sickly to spay and know this first-hand...)

What if the cat starts having potty accidents at some point in life?

How do they feel about declawing? Crazy anyone would consider but... sometimes it doesn't go without asking.

Cat proofing can include locks on all closets, latches on all cupboards, covered wires, disposal of all house plants, forever skipping cut flowers in the house, and more.

Also in the list of destroyed... All houseplants, crystal candy dish (from on top of refrigerator), vase, countless shirts, sleeping bags, pedal to keyboard, a couple of French presses, wine glasses (full dumped on beige couch), books, blankets, rib roast....

They chew, claw, slip, get sick, have accidents, and explore everywhere.

This is really good advice thank you - they cover the basics around vet & declawing & indoor only requirements in the application but some of the day in / day out realities of having a cat i think it's assumed people know it, especially if they have had many cats before as this guy claimed.

I actually had a friend just the other day, who is a super intelligent, humane, and thoughtful person suggest to me that if I eventually adopt a cat I should have its front claws removed...I explained why this is not something you want to ever do to a cat unless medically necessary and he had no idea. Unfortunately those misconceptions are still out there. :/

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really felt the foster agency tried to dupe me into taking a cat that I would eventually keep. I'm glad yours is legitimate in its endeavors.

That's terrible! Ugh! Shady!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is really good advice thank you - they cover the basics around vet & declawing & indoor only requirements in the application but some of the day in / day out realities of having a cat i think it's assumed people know it, especially if they have had many cats before as this guy claimed.

I actually had a friend just the other day, who is a super intelligent, humane, and thoughtful person suggest to me that if I eventually adopt a cat I should have its front claws removed...I explained why this is not something you want to ever do to a cat unless medically necessary and he had no idea. Unfortunately those misconceptions are still out there. :/

I'm glad things are changing, in the UK the declawing of cats is an illegal procedure.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm glad things are changing, in the UK the declawing of cats is an illegal procedure.

I wish that would happen here. Declawing is INHUMANE and horrible and so painful for the poor cat. It is a despicable practice:nono::nono::nono: and anyone who does it to a cat should have their fingers amputated and see how they like it.:cry2::cry2::cry2:

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish that would happen here. Declawing is INHUMANE and horrible and so painful for the poor cat. It is a despicable practice:nono::nono::nono: and anyone who does it to a cat should have their fingers amputated and see how they like it.:cry2::cry2::cry2:

I think it's awful and I wasn't even aware it was a thing in fact, I don't agree with it.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's awful and I wasn't even aware it was a thing in fact, I don't agree with it.

Lorelei here is some more info if you want to read about it. Truly inhumane. It's an amputation and causes lifelong pain and suffering for the poor animal who is declawed.

https://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2017/12/26/cat-declawing-de-toeing.aspx

To declaw a cat, you amputate each toe at the first knuckle, taking off bone along with tendons and the claw... it can lead to lifelong complications, pain, and lameness.

Declawing is illegal in most European countries and in Britain, where it is considered cruel. In Israel, declawing a cat could land you a yearlong prison sentence and a fine of around $20,000.

“The rest of the world recognizes it as mutilation,” said Jennifer Conrad, a veterinarian who runs The Paw Project, an anti-declawing group.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
just wanted to come back and thank everyone for the advice and encouragement...we got the sweet tortie point girl adopted out to a wonderful home ...the little ones went through a round of fading kitten syndrome and we lost one but the three survivors are doing great and are almost ready for adoption and hubby wants to keep one or two so they may not be moving far :lol-2:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
more kitty photos

P1020176.JPG

P1020170.JPG

5113076189038648680.jpg

Awww precious :kiss2:
just wanted to come back and thank everyone for the advice and encouragement...we got the sweet tortie point girl adopted out to a wonderful home ...the little ones went through a round of fading kitten syndrome and we lost one but the three survivors are doing great and are almost ready for adoption and hubby wants to keep one or two so they may not be moving far :lol-2:

YAY for the tortie being adopted to a wonderful home! Thank you for the update and thank you for everything you are doing for these kitties.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results