shape
carat
color
clarity

The first year of marrige ...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
RE: Combining Finances

We''ve recently done an overhaul of how we manage our finances, so I''m going to share. It wasn''t a source of anxiety or stress for us, so it didn''t make our first year difficult or anything, but it did take a few trials and errors to figure out.

We ended up merging our two checking accounts into one, and did the same with our savings accounts. We aren''t impulse shoppers, and we keep a fairly large extra chunk of money in our checking account as padding, so we don''t have any problems with overdrafting. I go into our account online twice a month and manually transfer 20% of all deposits into savings, so that''s how we handle that. I''ve been using a great Excel budget spreadsheet for years, I think I got it off of a credit management website. It has a detailed list of income and expenses and all of the formulas are set up to calculate total spent and taken in each month, and it gives you a percentage of extra income, too. This is what we use to budget.

Our biggest problem was with organizing how we pay our bills, so this is what we did:

I created two documents to help us keep track of our bills: A detailed list of bills, and a checklist for the year.

The detailed list
lists all of our regular bills, the company names addresses and phone numbers, the amount or expected amount of each bill, notes about each item (e.g. Payoff amt for mortgage, pay every 3 mos, etc.,) due dates, and the way we pay each item (e.g. check, online, autopay).

The checklist
for the year has the days of the month in the first column (e.g. 1st, 2nd, 3rd,) the list of bills in the second column (e.g. Mortgage) with details about how we pay (e.g. auto, online,) and then the rest of the sheet has twelve columns going across it, one for each month. As we pay each bill we either put a check in the column for that month if we pay online or if it''s automatically paid, or the check number if we pay by check.

We keep the checklist in a file organizer in the kitchen, and we also put all of our bills in the same file as we get them in the mail. This way it''s all in one place, it''s easily accessible, and we both check it daily to make sure we''re taking care of the bills. We keep a copy of the detailed list behind the checklist so we know where to send checks if we don''t get a bill in the mail. It''s been working quite well for us for a few months now.

Anyway, if money were tight I can see this becoming a huge source of stress so I would totally recommend figuring out the details early on. I never lived with anyone before we married, so for me it was really scary relinquishing control of some bills to my husband. Now that we have the checklist I feel much better.
1.gif

Okay, sorry this is so long. Didn''t mean to be.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I also wanted to add that the first year of marriage isn''t necessarily going to be difficult if you don''t live together beforehand. We bought a house and moved in together the month before our marriage, and it was our first time living together, yet we''ve still had a blissfully easy first eight months of marriage.

The difficulty of your first year of marriage probably has less to do with logistics and more to do with individual personalities and how you deal with each other. We are both extremely laid back and slow to anger, and in the four years we dated before marriage we developed really healthy habits for resolving conflict. In the rare moments when one of us gets really heated or angry, the other always works to diffuse the situation rather than escalate it.

It''s also just really fun to finally live with the person you love most.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results