shape
carat
color
clarity

the electronic calculator made me feel so dumb..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
before the electronic calculator days i use to be able to figure out mathematical stuff on a piece of paper,now i have forgotten how to do math on a piece of paper. feel so stupid !
littlebashfulguy.gif

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DF, don''t feel bad . . . I''m completely worthless at math unless I have a calculator!
emembarrassed.gif

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
I have a solution for you DF.This is what I do on occasion you can do it as often as you wish.
Sometimes I choose not to use it and do it the old fashion way on the paper or in my head.Must say calculator is easier, but sometimes I won''t use it.Try it , it works.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
As someone in the field of accounting, I have found myself absent-mindedly entering very simple figures into the calculator and then asking myself "WTH???" It becomes a habit. I haven''t lost my ability to add sums in my head, just my ability to think before hitting the keys.
9.gif

What drives me batty is trying to teach my cashiers to ''count back change'' instead of resorting to a calculator. Are they teaching anything in schools these days?

choro72

Brilliant_Rock
It''s why I use a pen and pencil whenever I have the time. I also practice at the grocery stores.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/1/2009 3:13:08 PM
Author: HollyS
What drives me batty is trying to teach my cashiers to 'count back change' instead of resorting to a calculator. Are they teaching anything in schools these days?
They are teaching math in school these days. My kindergartener knows the times table better than I do! Son asks, "mom, what's 4 X 6?" I respond, "Uhhhh!" Then he states, "it's 24, right?"

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
I never was much for arithmetic - and I''m a mathematician! When I was a professor I''d make the students do out the arithmetic at the end of the problem when I was at the board [calculus, differential equations, etc. courses and no, I did not work out the problems ahead of time]! LOL! And I started teaching in 1973, when people were still using slide rules [which are completely useless when you need to add].

To this day, if I want to make sure my arithmetic is correct I have to use a calculator [if I am being lazy] or do it out on paper [which can sure get tedious!]

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/1/2009 3:13:08 PM
Author: HollyS
As someone in the field of accounting, I have found myself absent-mindedly entering very simple figures into the calculator and then asking myself ''WTH???'' It becomes a habit. I haven''t lost my ability to add sums in my head, just my ability to think before hitting the keys.
9.gif

What drives me batty is trying to teach my cashiers to ''count back change'' instead of resorting to a calculator. Are they teaching anything in schools these days?
remember the pre computer days at the grocery store ? bananas 12 cents per lb X xx lbs and the cashiers had to do the math with their brain.

choro72

Brilliant_Rock
Once at a campus store, I was buying stuff during a "10% off entire store items". The cashier girl was tediously punching in 10% off each items I had. She was chatting with another cashier girl saying "I wonder if it''s the same thing if I scan all of it and then take 10% off the total bill" This was at UC Berkeley, and I''m sure they were students.
23.gif

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/1/2009 4:01:04 PM
Author: choro72
Once at a campus store, I was buying stuff during a ''10% off entire store items''. The cashier girl was tediously punching in 10% off each items I had. She was chatting with another cashier girl saying ''I wonder if it''s the same thing if I scan all of it and then take 10% off the total bill'' This was at UC Berkeley, and I''m sure they were students.
23.gif

OMG!
23.gif
38.gif
38.gif
38.gif
29.gif

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A math professor in a class I took said "If you really want to insult someone, give him a calculator that has a percent key".

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/1/2009 4:31:44 PM
Author: Madam Bijoux
A math professor in a class I took said ''If you really want to insult someone, give him a calculator that has a percent key''.

LOL! Good one!

I wonder what percentage of people would not recognize it as an insult . . .?

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m not a mathematician, but I am a bargain hunter.

Which is probably why I can eyeball percents better than most of the engineers I work with!
2.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Once at a campus store, I was buying stuff during a ''10% off entire store items''. The cashier girl was tediously punching in 10% off each items I had. She was chatting with another cashier girl saying ''I wonder if it''s the same thing if I scan all of it and then take 10% off the total bill'' This was at UC Berkeley, and I''m sure they were students.
23.gif
and her major was mathematic.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
23.gif
Oh, dear. She must have been absent that week in fourth grade, when they learned percents.
3.gif

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/1/2009 4:31:44 PM
Author: Madam Bijoux
A math professor in a class I took said ''If you really want to insult someone, give him a calculator that has a percent key''.
And then there are my employees who''ve needed tutoring in actually using the percent key on the calculator. And don''t ask them to use it to figure out what percent of the total a particular sum is. Multiplying is dangerous enough territory for them. Division is surely for NASA scientists.
20.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I balance my checkbook by doing the math in my head just to keep my mind sharp. For more complicated calculations, I still use pen and paper, then I use the calculator to check my math.
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results