shape
carat
color
clarity

The Day After, Reflections

siv1

Shiny_Rock
This type of topic was posted 8 years ago when Obama won the election. What are your thought?

I am PROUD that we have a new President-Elect Trump. I am excited to see what he can do for ALL of us.

Personally, in the last 8 years, I have seen the US divided more than I have ever seen in my last 50+ years. Maybe some day soon the American people will drop their hyphenated American label and just consider themselves AMERICANS. I feel that is the beginning for the US to be the GREAT COUNTRY it is.

I think Trump gave an excellent speech at 3am EST..... yes, I stayed up all night. Looking forward to hearing from Clinton and Obama.

What do you think? PLEASE KEEP COMMENTS RESPECTFUL

Q

Queenie60

I feel that the American People Have Spoken.

upgradingmama

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I am the farthest thing from proud.

I am angry that my Republican Party is so screwed up that they allowed a disgusting, sexist, bigoted, nasty person who does not pay federal income taxes to become their nominee.

I am angry that the population put their dislike for the establishment above allowing a dangerous man to hold the highest office in the free world.

I am angry that we look like idiots to the rest of the world.

I am angry that there could have been better choices on both sides.

I am angry that I have had to tell my children that bullies can win in the end.

I am hopeful that our checks and balances can work.

I am hopeful that Trump was actually just acting to get votes and he won't be as bad as I think.

I am inspired to get more involved. No more sitting on the sidelines.

This horrific outcome is all of our faults. It is my fault. I am not proud.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
upgradingmama|1478707384|4095819 said:
I am the farthest thing from proud.

I am angry that my Republican Party is so screwed up that they allowed a disgusting, sexist, bigoted, nasty person who does not pay federal income taxes to become their nominee.

I am angry that the population put their dislike for the establishment above allowing a dangerous man to hold the highest office in the free world.

I am angry that we look like idiots to the rest of the world.

I am angry that there could have been better choices on both sides.

I am angry that I have had to tell my children that bullies can win in the end.

I am hopeful that our checks and balances can work.

I am hopeful that Trump was actually just acting to get votes and he won't be as bad as I think.

I am inspired to get more involved. No more sitting on the sidelines.

This horrific outcome is all of our faults. It is my fault. I am not proud.

So am I, except that with a clean Republican sweep, they can do whatever they wish with no checks and balances.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm curious to see what he and the house and senate want to accomplish and what will come first. He made some campaign promises which I'm wondering if he will be willing and able to accomplish. As an American living abroad I'm curious how international relationships will be effected and what impact it'll have on me both in the larger picture as well as being approached on the street when people hear my accent. I'm glad I left the US about 2 weeks ago to return home. The last couple weeks looked intense and it was bad enough when I was there to visit very recently.

I'm not excited. I'm not optimistic. But I'm also not depressed. With the ideas that looking inward, cutting off the movement of people and trade, and supporting oneself rather than working together being common in the world right now (see Brexit) I expected this. My husband (not American) did not and has taken this harder than I did.

I'm grateful we don't have money in the US based stock market at the moment and that we don't have US based loans, credit or mortgages. I'm also hoping the USD to GBP adjusts back to an acceptable level just as some on this board were somewhat excited about the dropping GBP in June 2016.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not nor have I been a 'fan' or 'supporter' of Trump so I'm not particularly 'keen' on his win per se (I was pulling for a different conservative candidate); however, I am 'okay' with the outcome because when I weighed what was important to me, to my family, to my values and principles, and what I thought was best for the future of this country, and who I trusted more (which was VERY tough with both of these candidates!), there was overwhelmingly less alignment & more negative with the prospect of a(nother) Clinton presidency. It basically came down to the fact that I generally trusted her far less than I did the Republican candidate, and the future of the Supreme Court.

I know a lot of women were overwhelmingly excited about the prospect of seeing the first female President, and I hope to one day see the same; however, true equality and fairness is genuinely important to me, so I hope whoever that woman is, is TRULY the best person for the job. Anything less, in my opinion, is not really a 'victory' for women, but a 'gimme' to simply quiet the masses and check off another 'first' box. I want whoever that woman is - Democrat or Republican - to be such an accomplished candidate with a demonstrated record (that is not filled with scandal, questionable judgment, blatant dishonesty, and a lack of accountability) that my sisters on BOTH sides of the political spectrum can overwhelmingly come together to support her. For me, that woman just was not HRC.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Every time I start drafting a response I get overwhelmed with emotions. Most negative, some hopeful, only because reality is what it is.

My feelings in general are closest to upgradingmama's.

siv1

Shiny_Rock
As one of the Deplorables…. Let me give my take on why President Elect Trump won the election.

A lot of what he said was just words. We understand that. We understand when he talked about “Bomb the sh.. out of them” he meant that he would be willing to use force when needed. When he talked about admiring Putin, he was admiring his strength as a leader….. not communism. When he spoke of Mexican rapists, we know he didn’t mean ALL Mexicans are rapists. When he spoke of being able to “grab them by the p…y”, we know that’s locker room talk. Whether he did or not doesn’t matter because most of us know many men that have done the same thing in the past. When he talks about “Build that wall”, we know he is talking about increasing National Security, whether an actual wall is built or not. When he talks about ripping up trade deals, we know he means that we have to quit receiving so many goods made overseas and start making goods here to send to other countries.

I started writing this this morning I wanted to share some of my thoughts. Maybe some of you can begin to understand. The Donald Trump that gave the speech last night is who I believe is the TRUE Donald Trump

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
siv1|1478708109|4095826 said:
I started writing this this morning I wanted to share some of my thoughts. Maybe some of you can begin to understand. The Donald Trump that gave the speech last night is who I believe is the TRUE Donald Trump

I appreciated the positive, unity-theme & humble nature of his speech last night as well, coupled with the graciousness he showed by leading off by recognizing Clinton's strong fight during this election.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JoCoJenn|1478708283|4095829 said:
I appreciated the positive, unity-theme & humble nature of his speech last night as well, coupled with the graciousness he showed by leading off by recognizing Clinton's strong fight during this election.

I watched also and am glad he was gracious and uplifting. I am hopeful for my country this morning.

upgradingmama

Shiny_Rock
Premium
JoCoJenn|1478708283|4095829 said:

Yeah, well I don't think he would have been so gracious if the tables were turned.... Also, "just words" does not sit well with me. If a husband tells a wife to f-off and says he didn't mean it, the hurt doesn't go away. Words are impactful. Words are dangerous. Even if he didn't "mean them" others will believe he did. He inspires hate. That I just can't get behind.

I know I sound like a bleeding heart liberal. In fact, I have been a registered republican for over 25 years. Our party is better than this.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As one of the Deplorables…. Let me give my take on why President Elect Trump won the election.

A lot of what he said was just words. We understand that. We understand when he talked about “Bomb the sh.. out of them” he meant that he would be willing to use force when needed. When he talked about admiring Putin, he was admiring his strength as a leader….. not communism. When he spoke of Mexican rapists, we know he didn’t mean ALL Mexicans are rapists. When he spoke of being able to “grab them by the p…y”, we know that’s locker room talk. Whether he did or not doesn’t matter because most of us know many men that have done the same thing in the past. When he talks about “Build that wall”, we know he is talking about increasing National Security, whether an actual wall is built or not. When he talks about ripping up trade deals, we know he means that we have to quit receiving so many goods made overseas and start making goods here to send to other countries.

That's almost laughable.

I don't think that speech shows the 'real' Trump, however I am very glad he was able to stick to a script for once. That will be useful in meeting other world leaders and attempting to present your country in any sort of positive light.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trump says whatever he has to say to get what he wants. I think that's a fair assumption. But hey Clinton did the same.

This is not business as usual because you don't have an establishment politician. It will be interesting to see how he handles government life, which isn't at all like business life. I can't go into who I work with or for, but the conversations have been...interesting.

Regardless who wins, someone loses. Its the way our democracy works, and like it or not, if you're an American citizen, Donald J Trump is our president, unless you decide to give up your citizenship which is a different matter altogether. Frankly people said the same crap during Obama's first term...so its easy to say, hard to do.

To that end, the losing party needs to rally and fire up their base if they want a different outcome in the next 4 years. There should be no more business as usual, IMO those days are done.

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not shocked by this outcome, as many are, but certainly surprised. In my opinion, the losers here are the elite leaders of both parties. The Republican elites pushed Jeb, calling him by his first name as if we would forget he's a Bush, and Republicans (and cross-over voters) said, "No!" The Dems pushed Clinton with their backroom deals eliminating Sanders, and finally enough Democrats said, "No!" Of course, government isn't the only tool of the rich and powerful, but maybe this election will give them enough pause for good things to happen for all of us.
Many are disappointed that Clinton isn't our first female President. We will have a female President, one who is more worthy. Many are feigning fear of a Trump Presidency, and many are actually fearful. While Trump wasn't my 1st or 15th choice, I'm not afraid. He's not a good choice, in my opinion, but not nearly as scary as the powers that be have insisted. Trump and the Republicans may squander this great opportunity, but maybe they won't. We don't know.
The American electorate has rejected President Obama's policies. In my opinion, his high approval numbers are based on his personal appeal, not his accomplishments as President. The contrast with Trump and Clinton didn't hurt.
How did Trump win? It will be interesting to hear the opinions, especially from the mainstream media. Certainly he received more minority votes, more women votes, and more educated votes than anticipated. Hopefully, all of us will be gracious winners or good losers, and give this change a chance.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMO - Hillary just gave what I feel is the most 'genuine' & 'human' speech I've ever heard her give. Nicely done; best wishes to her going forward.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm hopeful. I have two nephews in the military and I'm glad Obama's apology tour is over and kissing the behinds of other leaders is over.
I'm hopeful that we can energize our economy and end the over regulating that is killing small business. I hope we can achieve a better healthcare system that doesn't include staggering premiums. Look, we are all different and we have different issues that are important to us. That's what makes us a democracy. We live in different areas of the country, but my hope is that we can unify as a country after this very ugly campaign. I hope PS friends, that we can respect eachother's point of view and not shame or condescend one another. Can we agree to disagree and be respectful? I hope so...

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a dark and shameful day for this country, and I am disgusted by the people who made it happen.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elliot86|1478714614|4095858 said:
It's a dark and shameful day for this country, and I am disgusted by the people who made it happen.
I agree. And I will gracefully bite my tongue here because I won't allow a few rotten, disgusting apples to ruin this forum for me. I can only hope they crawl back under the creepy, cold, hard rocks from which they came.

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock
monarch64|1478714891|4095859 said:
I agree. And I will gracefully bite my tongue here because I won't allow a few rotten, disgusting apples to ruin this forum for me. I can only hope they crawl back under the creepy, cold, hard rocks from which they came.

Wow! What do you say when you don't bite your tongue?

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock
Bonfire|1478712889|4095851 said:
I'm hopeful. I have two nephews in the military and I'm glad Obama's apology tour is over and kissing the behinds of other leaders is over.
I'm hopeful that we can energize our economy and end the over regulating that is killing small business. I hope we can achieve a better healthcare system that doesn't include staggering premiums. Look, we are all different and we have different issues that are important to us. That's what makes us a democracy. We live in different areas of the country, but my hope is that we can unify as a country after this very ugly campaign. I hope PS friends, that we can respect eachother's point of view and not shame or condescend one another. Can we agree to disagree and be respectful? I hope so...

My hope, too.

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
If you think what Trump said during his campaign was "just words," I think you are seriously deluded. I kept wondering who wrote his gracious speech this morning, because it was clearly not he!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish I could be like others and put a happy and optimistic face on this, but I cannot. We have done away with our checks and balances; current senate will not even let Obama fill the supreme court seat.. Maybe listening to Hamilton too much, but Trump is similar to Aaron Burr; power at any cost. And it will cost all of us.

And YES, the country is very divided right now. Who is causing this division? Listen to the talking heads that are sowing discontent and anger and fear. Someone is profiting from this division, and it is not the working or middle class. We are getting played.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Do you consider folks that have differing opinions from you "rotten disgusting apples?"
Why such venom and disrespect? Isn't this the hateful retoric you dislike about Trump?
Can't everyone come on this forum and not be subject to this type insult?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
part gypsy|1478716684|4095877 said:
I wish I could be like others and put a happy and optimistic face on this, but I cannot. We have done away with our checks and balances; current senate will not even let Obama fill the supreme court seat.. Maybe listening to Hamilton too much, but Trump is similar to Aaron Burr; power at any cost. And it will cost all of us.
I am waiting to see the mass deportations.
I am waiting to see the Mexican Wall go up, paid by the Mexicans.
I am waiting to see Muslim ban go into effect.
I am waiting to see the US pull funding and support out of NATO and UN.
I am waiting to see the US renegade on Trade Agreements.

The above is what the new President of the USA said he will do whilst campaigning.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not to mention punish women for having abortions and overturn marriage equality. He isn't my president.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not happy. Period.

I'm trying to grasp for rays of hope. I'm grateful I don't have to dip into 401k yet but those who are unfortunate enough to be retired and taking a hit on their funds I feel bad for.

I'm hoping that maybe I will have a chance to refinance my
Mortgage, but I doubt the rate will drop so significantly to
Be worth it.

I'm really glad I had waffle fries again today.

Shriveled up raisony pinto bean...

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1478716970|4095881 said:
part gypsy|1478716684|4095877 said:
I am waiting to see the mass deportations.
I am waiting to see the Mexican Wall go up, paid by the Mexicans.
I am waiting to see Muslim ban go into effect.
I am waiting to see the US pull funding and support out of NATO and UN.
I am waiting to see the US renegade on Trade Agreements.

The above is what the new President of the USA said he will do whilst campaigning.

And so much more. Many of us who have benefitted from the ACA are quite concerned. The future of the Supreme Court and the very nature of checks and balances. Wow.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Who are those people? Am I one because I certainly don't agree with you politically? But had this election gone like 99% of the country thought I would not have ever said something like this here. I am disappointed.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JoCoJenn|1478711147|4095847 said:
IMO - Hillary just gave what I feel is the most 'genuine' & 'human' speech I've ever heard her give. Nicely done; best wishes to her going forward.

I agree it is the most genuine I have ever seen her.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
redwood66|1478717619|4095892 said:
JoCoJenn|1478711147|4095847 said:
I agree it is the most genuine I have ever seen her.
As a female in a male dominated career, I feel as though that we are not permitted to show our softer more genuine side otherwise we will not be taken seriously by our male counterparts. Whether this is true or untrue, this is the vibe I get. We have to present ourselves as tough and almost unfeeling to be taken seriously. Any less and I risk being labeled emotional and incapable of thinking rationally.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results