shape
carat
color
clarity

The Cartoons and the Neocon

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rubydick

Shiny_Rock
The cartoon controversy has certainly inflamed tempers across the globe, with the issue largely portrayed as one of Western "free speech" vs. Islamic extremism.

Like so many things, a bit of study reveals a situation not quite so black-and-white, as the following article shows. Here''s a few quotes:

The Cartoons and the Neocon

Daniel Pipes and the Danish Editor

"So, let’s look at the guy who started this whole cartoon escapade. He’s Flemming Rose, the cultural editor of the Danish newspaper. In all of the Lexis-Nexis database of stories from the American media on the Mohammed cartoons, there is absolutely no mention of the fact that Rose is a close confederate of arch-Islamophobe Daniel Pipes. Indeed, there is almost no context at all about Rose’s newspaper. On a brief mention in the Washington Post gave a hint at a fact desperately needed to understand the situation. The Post described the affair as “a calculated insult … by a right-wing newspaper in a country where bigotry toward the minority Muslim population is a major, if frequently unacknowledged, problem.”

"How bad is Pipes? He wants the utter military obliteration of the Palestinians; indeed, from the Muslim world, his racism is about as blatant as that of the Holocaust denying Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. Pipes’ frequent outbursts of racism -- designed to toss gasoline on the neo-cons’ lust for a wholesale conflict of cultures -- earned him a Bush nomination to the U.S. Institute of Peace, a congressionally funded think tank. Rose came to America to commune with Pipes in 2004, and it was after that meeting the cartoon gambit materialized.

"It’s also worth noting that Danish Prime Minister Anders Fogh Rasmussen wrapped himself in protestations about freedom of speech, and that’s commendable. But he is one of Bush’s few fans in Europe, steeped in the we-versus-them rhetoric, and having sent troops to the Iraqi Crusade.

"Is Rose an equal opportunity offender? No way. As the British press reported last week, his newspaper refused in 2003 to run cartoons that ridiculed Jesus. And, of course, free expression in Europe is very relative. Many of the democracies have laws banning certain speech.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I heard, "Pipes" I thought of Richard Pipes. I was wondering if I had missed some fanaticism in his writing...but then I saw that Daniel Pipes was a whole different animal (albeit with a Ph.D.)! Daniel is Richard's son, though. Richard was a cold-warrior. I will have to read more to see what Daniel's bent is. I had never even heard of him. Thanks for the info, Dick!

Deb
34.gif

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
If the guy is in fact as anti-Islam as you say it definitely should be part of the news story. "Close confederate" doesn''t quite carry water.

Having said that, it makes NO difference what the editor/publisher/cartoonist''s opinions are. It does NOT give these crazy people the right to burn others'' property because their sensitivities were offended.

I have seen too much excuse making and not enough condemnation.

sxn675

Shiny_Rock
Well, it''s not like the cartoons were published and rioting started the next day. The cartoons were published with a story indicating that they were published to let the Muslims reading know that they were second class citizens. There was a peaceful protest soon after (I think with about 3500 people) which was pretty much ignored. Then, leaders of 11 Muslim nations asked to meet with the Prime Minister to talk about it and were refused. Later, the cartoons were REpublished in other papers. I think this was at the point when the dossier with the cartoons plus more was sent around, which didn''t help. So, while it''s easy to think "oh, they''re rioting over a cartoon", it''s not that simple. Think about if a paper here published a cartoon about African Americans with a story about how publishing it was to "put them in their place" or something along those lines. And then if leaders staged a peaceful protest and asked to meet with US government officials and were denied. I don''t think it would even take a dossier to incite quite the response....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results