shape
carat
color
clarity

Thanksgiving Recipes!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I love the holidays! Thinking about Thanksgiving and Christmas always gives me butterflies of excitement and anticipation!!!

I love the shopping, and entertaining, and decorating...and, the cooking!!

So, if you have any delicious recipes you''d like to share, I thought this would be a fun topic to start since Thanksgiving is only 3 weeks away!!!

Corn Souffle

Ingredients

2 cans of creamed corn (medium size)
Salt and pepper to taste (personal perference)
1/2-3/4 cup of evaporated milk (use less for a stiffer souffle, more for a softer souffle)
6 eggs seperated
2 tablespoons of cornstartch or flour (I prefer cornstartch)
1 teaspoon of sugar (I sometimes double this for a sweet souffle, which I like)
1 small can of green chilis (optional for those who like a bit of heat with their sweet
emwink.gif
)
Butter

Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees
Butter a 2-3 quart casserole dish
Beat egg yolks with milk
Add creamed corn, salt, pepper and cornstartch/flour (and green chilies if using them)

***in another bowl***
Beat egg whites until they form stiff peaks
Sprinkle sugar onto egg whites

Carefully fold egg whites into corn mixture
Dot the top of souffle with butter squares or small dolups

Bake souffle for 30-45 minutes
DO NOT open oven door or souffle will flop!!!

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Classic Waldorf Salad

Ingredients

2 cups diced apples (I use a sweet red apple, like Gala or Fugi)
1 tablespoon of white sugar
1/2 teaspoon of lemon juice
Dash of salt
1 cup of celery sliced
1/2 cup of chopped walnuts
1/4 cup of mayo (the real stuff!)
1/2 cup whipping cream, whipped
1 cup mini marshmellows

Directions

Combine sugar, lemon juice and salt
Add apples, celery and walnuts

***in a seperate bowl***
Fold mayo into whipping cream

Gently fold mayo mixture onto the apple mixture
Cover completely and chill until ready to serve
Serve in a lettuce lined bowl

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Candied Sweet Potatoes
***this recipe is written out to cook about 8 sweet potatoes, increase or decrease as you wish in porportion**

Ingredients

8 large sweet potatoes
1 cup of dark brown sugar
1/2 cup of frozen orange concentrate
1/2 cup of butter
3/4 cup of Sherry (totally optional)
2 cups of jumbo puff marshmellows

Directions

Scrub and boil potatoes until tender (about 25-30 minutes if submerged into a rolling boil and also depending on size of the potatoe)
Peel potatoes
Chop into 1 1/2 to 2 inch cubes

In oven proof casserole dish melt butter and brown sugar together and stir in the sherry
Add frozen orange concentrate, stirring to combine

Put sweet potatoes into casserole dish
Coat potatoes completely with the sugar mixture

Cover with aluminum foil to seal

Bake at 350 degree for 30 minutes, turn to baste about every 10 minutes or so

Once the sugar mixture has the consistancy of a sticky gravy and is slightly bubbling, and potatoes are fully cooked and tender to the poke, cover potatoes with marshmellows and put under the broiler until marshmellows have crisped on top and are melty.

**I strongly recommend putting a baking seat lined with foil under your caserole dish**

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Italia
Thank you for sharing those! I love to experiment with cooking, especially in the holidays. I''ll have to try them out

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Pumpkin Cheese Ball

Ingredients

1 8ounce cream cheese
1/2 cup solid pack pumpkin
1 jar (approximately 2 1/2 ounces) dried beef slices, finely chopped (optional)
2 cups (8ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 crushed pineapple, drained really well
1 tablespoon chopped green onion
1 short celery stalk with leaves attached for garnish

Directions

Mix the pumpkin and creamcheese until well blended and smooth
Stir in by hand: beef, chedder cheese, and pineapple...mix well!
Chill at least one hour or until "stickiness" is removed but the mixture is still formable
Form into a large ball
Wrap ball in plastic wrap and replace in fridge for chilling
Before serving: remove plastic wrap, with the tip of a knife score sides of call to resemble pumpkin and insert celery stalk to look like the stem of a pumpkin
Serve with crackers of your choice

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/6/2008 11:26:09 AM
Author: dragonfly411
Italia
Thank you for sharing those! I love to experiment with cooking, especially in the holidays. I''ll have to try them out
Dragon, I don''t know how your family is, but mine ebbs and flows when it comes to holiday food...so I always try to add a new recipe each year and I take one out that might not be super popular. So I''m posting not only to share, but to also nab some yummy ideas!!!

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Italia
I''m going to upload our sausage egg casserole recipe later tonight for you. It''s great for Christmas morning.
2.gif

Any particulars? That you want? I''m going to go through and see what recipes I''ve got tucked away

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/6/2008 11:37:35 AM
Author: dragonfly411
Italia
I''m going to upload our sausage egg casserole recipe later tonight for you. It''s great for Christmas morning.
2.gif

Any particulars? That you want? I''m going to go through and see what recipes I''ve got tucked away
I want that recipe for sure...I''m not even sure I''ll be able to wait until Christmas morning...that might be Saturday morning!!!!

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Apple Pie in A Paper Bag

**a total midwest treat, and a big hit**

Ingredients

1 9 inch unbaked pie shell (store bought or homemade, whichever you prefer)
2 1/2 pounds of apples (any varity you prefer)
1 cup granulated white sugar (divided in half and seperated)
1/2 cup and 2 tablespoons of all purpose flour (used for two things)
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
2 tablespoons of lemon juice
1/2 cup of soft butter (the real stuff!)
1 large brown paper bag

Directions

Preheat over to 400 degree

Peel and slice apples, rendering approximately 7 cups

In large bowl, toss apples together with the 2 tablespoons of flour, cinnamon, and 1/2 cup of sugar). Make sure apples are coated completely before moving on

Fill pie shell, higher in the middle

Sprinkle with lemon juice

Mix 1/2 cup of sugar, 1/2 cup of butter and 1/2 cup of flour into a paste.

Spread sugar mixture over apple pile.

Carefully slide pie into the large brown paper bag

Close bag, and set it on the middle rack

Bake for 1 hour or until pie is nicely browned

Cool for 5 to 10 minutes

Remove from bag carefully

**in addition, if you wish, you can take an extra sheet of pie crust and using appetizer cutter (tiny cookie cutters) cut out fall shapes such as leaves, apples, or pumpkins. Arrange these carefully on top of apples prior to baking for a decorative touch!**

PrincessDijon

Brilliant_Rock
Yum!!!! These all sound so good! Thanks for sharing!!!!

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Hm, I haven''t cooked T-day dinner from recipes in a while... I''ll dig up what I can find.

Oh! I''ve got this really tasty shrimp bisque recipe if you want it:

1 lb of shell on shrimp (peeled and deveined, reserve the shells for broth)
1 spring of sage
4 oz diced onions
2 bay leaves
6 oz white wine
12 oz chicken stock
olive oil for saute-ing1 can packed pumpkin
4 oz cream
pinch saffron (optional)

In a medium sized stock pot, add olive oil and heat on high heat. When the oil is hot (starting to smoke), add shrimp shells and "saute" until just browned. Add stock, onions, bay, sage, and wine. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 30 mins. Drain stock of solids, pressing solids down in sieve to extract maximum flavor.

Whisk pumpkin and cream into stock. If using saffron, heat up 2-4 oz of water in a small bowl (I use the microwave), crumble the saffron into the hot water. Let stand for 10 mins and add into the stock. Heat for 10 mins on low fire

Finish off the stock by saute-ing shrimp in a frying pan until cooked through (just turns pink). Arrange the shrimp in your bowls, ladle soup in bowls. You can garnish with a tiny dollop of creme fraiche/sour cream, and a parsley or sage leaf.

Tip: I usually coat the shrimp with 1/2 tsp of cornstarch & oil before saute-ing so it stays succulent. Something I always bring over from Chinese cooking Another tip, I''ve made this with thyme too in a pinch when I didn''t have sage

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
mmmm, that sounds awesome!

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
This is our new family favorite- home made cranberry sauce. It really is only 10 minutes of work and soooo good! I like to replace some of the water with OJ, and it really is better the longer it sits, so it''s a great weekend-before-holiday chore. If you can get fresh cranberries I can''t reccommend it highly enough.

Spiced Cranberry sauce

laurel25

Brilliant_Rock
This is my absoute favorite cheese ball recipe and I''m totally proud because I invented it myself!
9.gif
Mr.L loves it and has me make it anytime we need to bring a dish to pass for family events.

Sun-Dried Tomato & Garlic Cheese Ball

2 8 oz. pkgs cream cheese
1 8 oz. bag shredded cheddar cheese - divided
1 pkg sun-dried tomatos - chopped
4 cloved garlic - minced or pressed
1/2 t oregano
1/2 t basil
1/2 t ground pepper

Mix cream cheese, 2/3 of the bag of cheddar, tomatos, garlic, & spices together in a bowl until thoroughly combined. Roll into a ball, then roll into the remaining cheddar until the ball is completely covered. Let the ball sit in the fridge overnight to let the flavors combine. Remove from the fridge about 30 minutes before serving to allow it to soften.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL. I was just thinking to myself that why are people still talking about TG recipes...and I realized US TG is just around the corner...hehe. We just had our 3 weeks ago. Ofcourse, the world revolves around Canada
25.gif
25.gif
25.gif

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
HMMMM...sounds soooo good! Sun dried tomato cheese balll!

The cranberry saunce sounds divine too! I cannot wait to try it!!!!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Italia and all, great recipes!

Here''s an easy one. Very good, and very rich. A little goes a long way.
18.gif

Scalloped Oysters

1 pint average oysters (w/juice)
2/3 stick butter
2/3 pint whipping cream
salt and pepper to taste
saltine crackers, crushed

Cover bottom of 8 in. square casserole with crushed crackers (nice layer but not too thick). Put down half of butter in pats, 1 layer oysters, then more crackers. Pour on half of the cream. Finish layering (ending with crackers), then pour on rest of cream and oyster juice. Bake at 375 for 30 min. or until golden brown.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here''s another take on sweet potato casserole. Yummers.

Sweet Potato Casserole

3 c. mashed taters (about 3 large)
1 stick butter
3/4 c. white sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs
2/3 can evaporated milk

Mix all and pour into greased casserole. Sprinkle 1 cup pecans over top. (I''ve used both chopped and whole halves, either way)

Then mix 1 c. brown sugar, 2 tbsp. flour and 1 stick softened butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over top.

Bake at 350 for 40 min.

HappyAnniversary

Shiny_Rock
Italiahaircolor--I am so intrigued by the paper bag apple pie as apple pie is my "best" dessert. What does the paper bag do for the baking? What''s its purpose?

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
OK all of you stop this thread!!! I am sitting here drooling, my stomach is growling and all of these recipes look delicious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
18.gif

Linda

doodle

Brilliant_Rock
THE OFFICIAL "I CAN''T COOK AND EVEN I DON''T MESS THIS UP" FRUIT COBBLER

INGREDIENTS:
2 cups canned fruit OR 1 big can fruit pie filling (i''ve used blueberry,cherry,pineapple, you name it!)
1 cup milk
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
4 tbsp melted butter
1 cup self-rising flour

*mix flour, egg, sugar, and vanilla together.
*slowly add milk and stir until smooth
*pour into deep baking dish or casserole dish
*pour fruit into very center--DO NOT STIR!!!!!
*pour butter over the top
*bake at 375 degrees until golden brown

it''s really yummy with vanilla ice cream, too. yes, i live in the south, so everything we eat is rich and bad for you...and yummy, haha!

there are some insanely tasty recipes on here! i''m going to be experimenting in the kitchen, woohoo!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/9/2008 4:34:57 PM
Author: doodle
THE OFFICIAL ''I CAN''T COOK AND EVEN I DON''T MESS THIS UP'' FRUIT COBBLER

INGREDIENTS:

2 cups canned fruit OR 1 big can fruit pie filling (i''ve used blueberry,cherry,pineapple, you name it!)

1 cup milk

1 cup sugar

1 egg

1 tsp. vanilla

4 tbsp melted butter

1 cup self-rising flour

*mix flour, egg, sugar, and vanilla together.

*slowly add milk and stir until smooth

*pour into deep baking dish or casserole dish

*pour fruit into very center--DO NOT STIR!!!!!

*pour butter over the top

*bake at 375 degrees until golden brown

it''s really yummy with vanilla ice cream, too. yes, i live in the south, so everything we eat is rich and bad for you...and yummy, haha!

there are some insanely tasty recipes on here! i''m going to be experimenting in the kitchen, woohoo!

This sounds absolutely DELCIOUS!!!!!! My hubby will probably eat the whole thing by himself.
18.gif

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/9/2008 7:54:44 AM
Author: Ellen
Here''s another take on sweet potato casserole. Yummers.

Sweet Potato Casserole

3 c. mashed taters (about 3 large)

1 stick butter

3/4 c. white sugar

1 tsp. vanilla

2 eggs

2/3 can evaporated milk

Mix all and pour into greased casserole. Sprinkle 1 cup pecans over top. (I''ve used both chopped and whole halves, either way)

Then mix 1 c. brown sugar, 2 tbsp. flour and 1 stick softened butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over top.

Bake at 350 for 40 min.

You put eggs in your Sweet Potato Casserole? I''ve never heard of that before.

I really don''t cook from recipes. My mom taught me a lot of things that her mom taught her and I just cook from memory.

I think our sweet potato casserole is pretty much the same except we don''t use eggs and we add nutmeg and cinnamon. I have a lot of stuff in my head, I think I should probably put it down on paper or type it up to share with you all. I''m the baker in the family, so I make all the deserts.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/9/2008 1:09:16 PM
Author: HappyAnniversary
Italiahaircolor--I am so intrigued by the paper bag apple pie as apple pie is my ''best'' dessert. What does the paper bag do for the baking? What''s its purpose?
I don''t normally like apple pie (or any pie for that matter...) but this apple pie in a bag is really good!

The bag helps lock in the steam as it bakes, making the cust crisp, but in a "steamed" sort of way...Plus it helps lock in the flavors...

I love it.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Ellen, your recipes sound divine...and I''m inspired by the oysters for the holiday party I''m hosting...

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Italia.... I have bad news.... Grandmother won''t give up the recipe... I could modify?? for the sausage casserole?

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
I''m really grateful (pun intended) for this thread. This is the first year I won''t have Thanksgiving with my family and instead with FI''s family so I''d love to bring in my own dish. I''m going to miss my mom''s candied yams so I''m going to make it myself. Thanks for the recipe!!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/10/2008 10:16:26 AM
Author: Italiahaircolor
Ellen, your recipes sound divine...and I'm inspired by the oysters for the holiday party I'm hosting...
They really are good Italia!
18.gif
(go light on the salt though, if you're using salted crackers)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results