shape
carat
color
clarity

Thank You Gift

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are fruit baskets still a nice/welcomed gift? Harry & David? Is there something nicer or more coveted?

I’m curious because I’d like to send my neighbor a thank you for his recent help with my roof replacement. He saved me about $6k. His wife recently had back surgery and they often take care of their school-age granddaughters. I was thinking of a Harry & David fruit basket because their advertising is heavy this time of year and I’m not sure what else might be appropriate. I’m budgeting $50-100, nothing extravagant. I don’t know them well enough to know if they drink wine or really anything else. Help?

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I would go with a restaurant gift card that is good for multiple places, even if it's a chain one. I would not want a fruit basket tbh! We get them at work and nobody really wants them.

Or to somewhere they can take the grandkids. A restaurant, movies, etc.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the idea to make their life easier due to his wife recovering from back surgery...how about a meal delivery service? Even if just for one meal or a few days of meals.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
i like the fruit basket idea
its winter right ?
fruit is nice and cheery plus tastes good

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since the wife recently had back surgery she probably does not want to be spending a lot of time in the kitchen, so anything that would make meals easier would probably be welcome.

Yes, I was taking that into consideration. Thank you!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would go with a restaurant gift card that is good for multiple places, even if it's a chain one. I would not want a fruit basket tbh! We get them at work and nobody really wants them.

Or to somewhere they can take the grandkids. A restaurant, movies, etc.

So we are in a condo community at a country club and members have to spend a certain amount at the club restaurants each month. I think normally your suggestion would be fantastic, but in this case I’m not sure they’d use it. (What a first world problem!)

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the gift basket is a lovely idea, maybe a Hickory Farms type assortment like jam, nuts, candy, etc. I wouldn't get fruit because it spoils so quickly.

I definitely hesitate re the fruit for the reason you mentioned! Allegedly these Harry & David pears need to ripen once delivered… idk, I may be overthinking all of this.

Should I just send flowers?!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the idea to make their life easier due to his wife recovering from back surgery...how about a meal delivery service? Even if just for one meal or a few days of meals.

I love this idea, thank you for this suggestion! However, we’re at a country club and already spend x amount on meals each month, so this wouldn’t necessarily solve any problems. We can just grab food fr the restaurant and bring it down to our houses.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have gotten Harry and David fruit boxes and they were good quality. Maybe a 3 month subscription so it’s a smaller more manageable delivery each month.

Thank you—this is what I needed to hear. Do you think just a box of 6 pears and an additional set of chocolates, maybe, would be a nice gift?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Housekeeping service x 2 visits?

cheers--Sharon

Well I would love that for myself…I don’t know them well enough to think that would be something they’d graciously accept or be offended by.

Grrr why is life so hard lol

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well I would love that for myself…I don’t know them well enough to think that would be something they’d graciously accept or be offended by.

Grrr why is life so hard lol

I understand. When people are recovering--while they may need help with cleaning--they also many not want someone new in their home.

I love flowers, but you'd be surprised how many people consider them a complete waste of $$.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I like to find just the right gift too. But then I also think that there are always a lot of unknowns with someone you don't know well. And it really is the thought that counts. I'm sure that if they really need or want something, they just go get it anyway. If that helps at all.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
i remember more than 30 years ago when my dad was first diagngnozed with cancer
a bussiness aquantence from out of town sent us a fruit box with citrus and avacardos
back in those days avos wernt well known
mum didnt know what to with then but as they were known then avacardo pears we ate them with icecream :lol-2:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last edited:

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
I think the gift basket is a lovely idea, maybe a Hickory Farms type assortment like jam, nuts, candy, etc. I wouldn't get fruit because it spoils so quickly.

Agree with this. Gift basket - yes, fruit basket - not so much. Besides, with a gift basket you get a lot more options to choose from.

Maybe a 3 month subscription so it’s a smaller more manageable delivery each month.

This also. Subscription boxes have become quite popular and there's lots of variety.

In any case, I'm thinking, stick to consumables. It's a wonderful thought to gift them something that would be helpful during the wife's recovery, but if you don't know them well enough to select just the right thing, it's a bit of a risk. Besides, the idea behind a basket full of, say, chocolate, wine, nuts, fruit and so on, is more about giving joy. Yeah, you probably don't need luxury chocolate, but damn, is it delicious and a nice experience.

Piper70

Shiny_Rock
Thank you—this is what I needed to hear. Do you think just a box of 6 pears and an additional set of chocolates, maybe, would be a nice gift?
I do! We were gifted a subscription ( can’t remember if it was 3 or 6 months ) in 2020 as a thank you for taking friends to our vacation house. Without exception, the fruit was high quality and arrived in good condition. I’m one of those people who is very picky about recommending anything. lol
I’d much rather have that than the meat/cheese/jelly boxes. My dad sent Swiss Colony to all of us last year and no one liked them.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My go-to thank you/grovel gift is nice chocolate.

That's what I gave my neighbour when my cat took one of their goldfish from their pond and disappeared with it. I only knew that when she knocked on my door and asked for it back! :roll2: :lol-2:

DK :))

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve decided to go with chocolates. There are two local places that have wonderful handmade offerings and this just seems like something that wouldn’t go to waste. Thank you everyone for your suggestions!

MrsC Jewelry

Rough_Rock
I think chocolates are a lovely idea! It's nice of you to want to show your appreciation to your neighbors.

Also just throwing this out there in case it is helpful to anyone in the future. I've ordered several times (for birthdays, thank yous, and get well gifts) from a company called Spoon Full of Comfort. I suppose it is helpful if you know the person a bit to pick what would suit them, but there are a lot of nice choices. I signed up for their emails a couple of years ago and they do run specials from time to time.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results