shape
carat
color
clarity

TGuy's Turn - lots-o-pics, feedback welcome!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
We went watch shopping for TGuy. Here are the different ones we tried on. Any thoughts are welcome!

First up, Zenith Captain Central Seconds. $4400 SRP (although actually it jumped up to $4800 recently but they used the older SRP to give me a price quote.)

This one is a front runner due to the fact that TGuy likes the idea of having a matching watch to me, the price, and the weird fact that the gold plated markers looked good with his skin tone!

DSC_0491.jpg

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Same one, Bracelet - it's about $1500 more with the bracelet, I believe.

DSC_0492.jpg

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Same watch, black face, bracelet.

DSC_0493.jpg

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Zenith Captain Chronograph. About $6900 (old SRP, I think). The one he really wants looks similar, but has a day/date. And it's up into the 8K range SRP. Bigger case over the captain central seconds by 2 mm.

DSC_0494.jpg

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Zenith Ultra Thin, silver face, black strap. In the high 3K range for SRP, I believe.

DSC_0497.jpg

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
A Breitling, which is not in the running, but I'm posting it just so you can look.

DSC_0498.jpg

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
A Bell & Ross that looked surprisingly good on him. I discounted their line because I think most of the stuff is unappealing, but this is the Vintage Office Chronograph. 41mm case, grey strap, silver dial. SRP is $4700 which I think is overpriced for what it is, and of course this is a fairly new company.

DSC_0500.jpg

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jaeger Le Coultre. Can't remember which one, but part of the Master Control series. Be still my heart! :love: But alas, at $10,000 SRP, not in the budget. ;(

DSC_0501.jpg

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
These are IWC Pilots series, I believe. In the 5-6K range, I think?

DSC_0504.jpg

DSC_0505.jpg

DSC_0506.jpg

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pilot and Bell and Ross together....

DSC_0508.jpg

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Finally, IWC Portofino. SRP is $4700 or so, I think. We would have liked a display caseback on this, which it doesn't have. I also haven't researched the watch, but I think it's an ETA movement.

That's what we looked at, thanks for looking!

DSC_0509.jpg

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

#1 IWC Portofino.

First Zenth was nice--I like the lighter faces.

I like Bell and Ross--but perhaps not the model your man had on.....

Would he like a Cartier?

cheers--Sharon

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Sharon,

Thanks for your input! We really like the portofino too, but I think he wants something a titch less dressy. That was the one I went "oooh!" to out of all of them though. We took the Bell&Ross out of the running...probably too overpriced for what it is.

As for Cartier - no, TGuy isn't much of a Cartier guy...I think he'd feel self conscious with it on his wrist. He wants something a lot more "under the radar." That's why Rolex is out too.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
The first Zenith and the last IWC. Best looks on him, I think.

BTW, your hubs has some very nice hands. Nails and cuticles are just as important on men as women, right? ;))

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Holly...good to know that people do think the first Zenith looks good on him. I think value for money, the Zenith is a better choice. But the IWC and Zenith are priced almost the same...just two different looks.

Yes, I think his hands are nice too! And I like that he's fairly hairless on the arms/hands. :bigsmile:

Good to see you around, Holly!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TravelingGal|1319556071|3047255 said:
Hi Sharon,

Thanks for your input! We really like the portofino too, but I think he wants something a titch less dressy. That was the one I went "oooh!" to out of all of them though. We took the Bell&Ross out of the running...probably too overpriced for what it is.

As for Cartier - no, TGuy isn't much of a Cartier guy...I think he'd feel self conscious with it on his wrist. He wants something a lot more "under the radar." That's why Rolex is out too.

HI:

Does dressy = leather strap? I think of it as classic and sexy.

Does he likes dials?? Do those make a watch less dressy in his perception? I am not a chronograph person, but hey the watch isn't for me.

Cartier Roadster has both straps for one price---OKOKok I'll stop about Cartier! Also I must admit those new Cartiers (Ronde, Tank Solo) that are designed for the "young man" market (heeheee) are ubquitous that one would think it wasanybrandwatch. Last word spoken about Cartier--honestly! :devil:

cheers--Sharon

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sharon, he likes the leather strap. But the IWC Portofino looks a bit dressier dial wise, with the roman numerals, markers and the very clean ivoryish face. The Zenith, by contrast is a little different with the gold markers, which are a little bolder.

He hasn't made a final decision yet but we're definitely having fun looking!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1319477070|3046687 said:
Same watch, black face, bracelet.
I like this one best of the ones pictured. Though the grey face one is also nice. For some reason, I didn't like the white faced ones! Too girly? Too formal? The others seemed more sporty and masculine I guess?

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1319477676|3046696 said:
Jaeger Le Coultre. Can't remember which one, but part of the Master Control series. Be still my heart! :love: But alas, at $10,000 SRP, not in the budget. ;(
Agree about this one though. It's face doesn't seem "white" as much as "luminous yumminess".

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TravelingGal|1319477169|3046688 said:
Zenith Captain Chronograph. About $6900 (old SRP, I think). The one he really wants looks similar, but has a day/date. And it's up into the 8K range SRP. Bigger case over the captain central seconds by 2 mm.
sounds good to me... :appl: any up close pic?

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1319476956|3046683 said:
Any thoughts are welcome!

There are a lot of other Master Control Series JLC's. Have you considered all of them? The JLC totally stands out to me. I guess as a former owner of one I'm biased but I love them and if I had your budget I'd get one. Without as many complications, the price would be lower than the one in your picture.

Anyway, best of luck!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Deco, the pics make most of the faces look whiter than they are. Only the IWC portofino is a flat/cream/white color. The rest are silver or gray.

DF, no pics...just the one of the chronograph which is pretty much the same size case and look. I'm not sure at this point if I should spend $2700 more and get exactly what he wants.

Danny, I agree - JLC is amazing. We did find one of the "entry level" master control series and tried it on...and he didn't like it at all! Too bad as I would be willing to fork out some money over budget if he liked the JLC. :lickout:

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, we made our purchase! TGuy decided he was a bit of a watch snob too and wanted inhouse movements, blah blah blah. We liked the JLCs, of course, but the more expensive ones, so we tabled those for his 50th birthday.

We chose the Zenith Captain Elite Dual Time. We had not seen this one before and it looked great on him. The markers were silver, not gold, and we were surprised how much we liked them over the gold markers. Silver Guilloche dial, which I liked much better than the sunray dial as I liked the texture better. It's also dual time, which is a great complication for TGuy to have, as he can always easily figure out the time back home in Australia with this.

And of course, he enjoys that we have "matching" watches.

Thanks everyone for your input!

zenith.jpg

2011-11-11 11.40.44.jpg

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
beautiful watch.. :appl: congrats to Mr. TG., does his watch hava a clear back like yours?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
DF, yes it does. When I receive it later this week, I will take better pics with a better camera. The one I posted was taken with my phone at the store.

Not quite your gorgeous Lange, but not a bad "starter" watch. ::)

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Fine choice/watch! Happy early Christmas!

cheere--Sharon

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nice choice! Agree that the silver markers really work on that face & on the Hubs. Hard to tell from yr. snap ... is it the black band? Or grey like yours?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Sharon!

Deco, it's a dark chocolate band. It looked nice on him. Got the watch insured today and will receive it this week - but he doesn't want it until his birthday, THREE months from now. Argh.

So, still looking at watches for your DH, Deco?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Watch is in, here are pics, along with mine for fun.

Thanks again for the input!

IMG_0175.JPG

IMG_0178.JPG

IMG_0182.JPG

IMG_0193.JPG

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Last batch.

IMG_0198.JPG

IMG_0199.JPG

IMG_0201.JPG

IMG_0203.JPG