shape
carat
color
clarity

TGal, how is your IVF friend?

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Oh thank goodness all three are doing well! I agree, that is downright huge for triplets. Mom did such a good job!

DiaDiva

Brilliant_Rock
Such wonderful news!!! Congrats to your friend, Tgal.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Yay!!! Sounds like the triplets are doing great. Maybe you can sneak us a pic of those cuties. =D
Your friend is such a trooper.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
So glad they are doing so well! That IS huge for trips-my twins were around the same weight at 38 weeks!

msb700

Brilliant_Rock
that is FANTASTIC news TGal! I am so happy for your friend and her new family!!!

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2010 12:03:58 AM
Author: TravelingGal
FINALLY, a REAL update.

Went to the hospital. My friend''s DH said he totally screwed up the birthweights. He just couldn''t remember and he was really off. So here they are, in order of birth:

Noah - 4lbs, 4oz, 16'' long
Caleb - 4 lbs, 14 oz, 18'' long
Elijah - 5 lbs, 2 oz 18.25 inches long

They are BIG babies for triplets. 2 have full heads of hair, and one is bald. Also, Noah was NOT The one needing the respirator...it was the middle son Caleb. Now all three are breathing on their own and doing well. The hospital staff could not believe how long she kept those triplets in for. They are bigger than most of the preemies in the NICU right now. They are adorable...just perfect little faces and don''t look that teeny tiny to me (although I know they are small.)

My friend did a good job, I''m proud of her, and I think your good wishes helped her along the way.
35.gif
Wow TGal, that is great!! Those birth weights are awsome, and I am so glad all three are doing so well!!
36.gif

Please tell their Mom and Dad Congratulations, and that we think that Mom did an amazing job!

They sound absolutely adorable! Any chance you could post a picture for us?

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
TGal, that is wonderful news! She is a hero for sure. Your body did not disappoint and those are great weights! I still want to see a pic of her nursery!

charbie

Ideal_Rock
all i can think about is her belly must have been HUGE with 14 lbs of baby in it...whoa! i cannot even imagine!

i''m so happy the family is all doing so well. that is so amazing, and very inspirational! i''d imagine they won''t even need to stay in the hospital too long...and will more than likely bring all the babies home in one big swoop- crazy!

drk

Brilliant_Rock
Ginger - sorry you''re having to deal with mother hassles! Mine also really wants to be there for the delivery. My brother set a bad precedent, as she and his MIL were in the room when they had their first. They managed to keep them at home looking after the older kid(s) when they had #2 and #3 though. DH and I would likely prefer to be on our own, but I''m willing to let her be there. It''s the deal DH and I made with her: she can be there in L&D and stay in town while baby and I are in hospital, and then she''s to go home (lives 2h away) so that DH and I can have our first week alone at home to bond with our baby and figure out how we want to do things. I''ve also warned her (after she showed zero interest in reading our hypnobirthing handout during her last long visit) that if things aren''t working out well in L&D, she''s going to be kicked out and sent to the waiting room. She swears she''ll be unobtrusively sitting in a corner if that''s what we want, so we''re going to play it by ear.

Most of the docs I trained with in med school wouldn''t induce until 41 weeks, so you may have a little more time to let your kiddie decide when the birthday should be.

Squirmy is having a party in there again today. I actually kind of love the weird movements, as long as she isn''t trying to shift my ribcage out of the way. She gets the hiccups a lot too, which is always entertaining.

The basement renos should be finished around the 38 week mark, so hopefully she''ll give us at least a week after that to get things more organized before she arrives. As long as she behaves and doesn''t come while DH is overseas this week (2.5 more days till he''s back) or while he''s 5 hours away overnight next week at nearly 38 weeks, I''ll be happy.

Hope we get more pics this week for BPF!

Mara - thanks for peeking in and passing on good newborn tips. Sounds like you''re all doing well.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
WOW-that is amazing! My friend had a teeny, full-term, singleton baby this week at 40 weeks, who is just 5 lbs 2 oz.

Those triplets are huge for their delivery date and the fact that all three were crammed in there together!!!!!

It sounds like they are doing great, I''m glad that they are all breathing on their own and bet their stay in the NICU will be very short.

snlee

Ideal_Rock
So glad to hear all three boys are doing well! Those are great birth weights for triplets! Your friend did an amazing job! What a trooper! Congrats again to them!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
TG...any update on your pal? have they gone home from the hospital yet, and were they able to take all three home with them?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/15/2010 4:02:39 PM
Author: Mara
TG...any update on your pal? have they gone home from the hospital yet, and were they able to take all three home with them?
Hi Mara!

The first baby is home (the youngest, Elijah who was also the biggest). He came home on Saturday, which is awesome...less than a week in NICU. The second son, Caleb will probably be home within the week, but my friend is not in a hurry to have him home as she doesn''t want to leave Noah alone in NICU without his brother. Elijah is doing well...eating like a champ and such a cutie.

In order to come home, they have to be a certain weight (which all of them were born heavier than), regulate their own body temp, and take full feedings. Right now it is the feedings that are the issue, I believe.

It''s tough right now because she want to spend time with all her children who are in two different places. She can''t take Elijah to the hospital due to restrictions because of flu season. However, I think all three babies will be home within 2 weeks or so.

Most importantly, I saw her push present,
3.gif
and she has promised me I can do a photo shoot for PS (I''m trying to be diplomatic about it as I doubt she would appreciate me going nuts shooting pics of the ring instead of pics of her babies!) It is a 3 stone diamond ring from Neil Lane. The diamonds look to be about .75ish, more or less? Very white, and cut well, as I would expect nothing less from Neil Lane. The setting is gorgeous...the basket look like crowns and are pave. Pave also down the shank. Hopefully I''ll get photos sometimes in the next couple of weeks.
30.gif

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Hope the other two boys can go home soon. It''s tough not having all three babies together. That''s the reason why I wanted to go home after just being in the hospital for 24 hours after the birth of Jaron. I missed Meena so much, and just wanted to see her.

The PP sounds lovely. Can''t wait to see the pics.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
yay i am glad to hear that things are going well for them...and that at least one of them has come home! how is your friend doing so far? it prob helps to just have one at home for a little while and then add the other 2 into the mix rather than all 3 at once actually.

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
I''m so glad she has at least one of them home and hoping the other 2 will join them soon! It''s probably less overwhelming this way but I''m sure she wants them all together asap!! Please give her our best and thank you for sharing her experiences with us. I feel like she''s my friend now too!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2010 4:06:49 PM
Author: curlygirl
I''m so glad she has at least one of them home and hoping the other 2 will join them soon! It''s probably less overwhelming this way but I''m sure she wants them all together asap!! Please give her our best and thank you for sharing her experiences with us. I feel like she''s my friend now too!
Thank you all! Curly, I let her know directly that you all are pulling for her (just spoke with her) and she said thank you all SO much. She said she''s probably about two weeks away from insanity but she''s hanging in there.

Anyway, Caleb is coming home tonight. I asked her how she''s doing and she for the first time sounds pretty scared. She says she''s freaking out. Even though Elijah is a good baby (and we all know they just sleep for the first couple of weeks), she said that she''s already exhausted and pretty much "done." She took Elijah to the doc today for a check up, just got back, is chowing down food, and now has to run back to the hospital to prepare Caleb for discharge and will have to come home to two babies, with one last one to join who knows when.

Hard for me to sound chipper to her when I''m feeling a bit of dread for her. I mean, "You''ll survive" sounds trite right? I said again I would come by and help, but it''s kind of hard at this point. Her DH has been a champ, and her mom is helping so it already feels chaotic and crowded. Plus they''re asking me advice on the babies, and honestly, what the hell do I know? I can''t remember much! My memory is faulty and I don''t know what to do with babies. I think I need to wait until she figures them out a bit and she can instruct me on how to take care of them. And her mom is the sweetest lady but is doing things *her* way even though both my friend and her DH are asking her to do things differently, so frustration is already running up there, and only ONE baby is home.
32.gif
And none of them feel bonded to the babies yet.

I think the best thing to do right now is be errand girl, which I''m doing. Ran some stuff over there this morning and will check on them this evening for any needs. In the meantime I think my own husband is getting nervous about my time away from our own family, so it will be more tricky trying to do this balancing act than I thought.

The moral of the story is that if I didn''t think it before (which I did actually), I am now VERY certain that Octomom is batsh*t crazy.
41.gif

cara

Ideal_Rock
That''s great news that things are going well (!) and the family is getting eased into triplet parenthood by sending them home one by one. It does sound like its going well, even if the mom is getting freaked out, she''s human. It''s probably an appropriate response. One baby is a ridiculous responsibility to take home, let alone three.

And I feel for you trying to help and yet not neglect your own family. Life has got to be plenty packed with tasks and stuff to do with two working parents and a little one, and there is a limit to the relief you can provide without sacrificing too much on your end. Of course its good of you to try to do what you can, and to just reassure the parents that they are doing a great job. And keep that number handy for night nurses/day nurses, if the family has a change of heart! Sanity is hard to put a price tag on.

I''d love to see pictures of the push present AND little boys, if their mom permits! But if not, she''s been a great sport letting you share her progress with us. Best wishes to her and her family!

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
Gosh Tgal, I just wanted to say you are such a great friend!!

Wishing your friend lots of luck and maybe a 1 or 2 (or 3) will be easy babies! I can''t imagine how challenging it is and will be.

I did have a chuckle about what you said about fading memory--someone asked when C crawled and I couldn''t remember!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2010 4:53:43 PM
Author: cara
That''s great news that things are going well (!) and the family is getting eased into triplet parenthood by sending them home one by one. It does sound like its going well, even if the mom is getting freaked out, she''s human. It''s probably an appropriate response. One baby is a ridiculous responsibility to take home, let alone three.

And I feel for you trying to help and yet not neglect your own family. Life has got to be plenty packed with tasks and stuff to do with two working parents and a little one, and there is a limit to the relief you can provide without sacrificing too much on your end. Of course its good of you to try to do what you can, and to just reassure the parents that they are doing a great job. And keep that number handy for night nurses/day nurses, if the family has a change of heart! Sanity is hard to put a price tag on.

I''d love to see pictures of the push present AND little boys, if their mom permits! But if not, she''s been a great sport letting you share her progress with us. Best wishes to her and her family!
I''ll ask her this week if I can post some pics of the boys. The push present I will definitely get pics of, as well as her other collection if she lets me. She has some beautiful jewelry since their friend works for Neil Lane.

And thank you for your encouragement!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2010 4:54:48 PM
Author: janinegirly

Wishing your friend lots of luck and maybe a 1 or 2 (or 3) will be easy babies! I can''t imagine how challenging it is and will be.

I did have a chuckle about what you said about fading memory--someone asked when C crawled and I couldn''t remember!
Hahaha, yeah, I remember the huge milestones (crawling and walking) but everything else is fading.

What I do remember well since it was documented here is the process we went through for sleep training and schedules. I know she''s going to ask me stuff, but I think 3 is a different ballgame and not sure what to tell her. So much of the minutaie is gone for me...stuff like if they open a little bottle of formula, can they use what''s left later? I know we did, but can''t remember details. At least that will be less of an issue with more babies home since they can split up those bottles.

It''s easy to give advice on PS...people ask, and you throw things out there and PS moms can pick and choose what they think might work. IRL, it''s harder to give advice because it''s not my kid and what worked for mine may not work for hers. I don''t want the responsibility of screwing up someone else''s child...I''m doing fine screwing up my own, thanks!!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tgal, you know where to find me if she needs any advice from a multiples momma. I would think that a lot of the things I did would work well with trips too.

First installment: tell her that boppies are her FRIEND.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
There''s this---http://multiples.about.com/od/triplets/Parenting_Triplets.htm
If she ever has a chance to read!

If push presents were actually based on effort she''d get at least half the hope diamond.

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Hey TGal, thanks for all the great updates!!

I can''t begin to imagine how scared she must be right now.....exhausted by having one at home, and knowing the other two are not far behind......
32.gif
23.gif

Please tell her we are all thinking of her, and sending her lots of patience, good health and organizational vibes!! I wish her at least three hours of
24.gif
at night too. Perhaps that might be pushing it, but I hope it happens some of the nights.

I look very forward to seeing a picture of these three baby boys if it is possible!!

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
Tgal, i am glad they are all doing well

I was watching some parenting show when i was off for a week sick and the episode was about a stay at home dad with trips. He was going a bit nutty but then found a local support group and it was a life saver for him. I think that would be great for her (not now of course, she''ll be in survival mode for a while) but once they start STTN and she is more human, it''s def. something she''ll need. Like you said in another thread, motherhood is like a sisterhood and you can''t truly understand it until you are part of the club, and i assume the same would stand for being a mom of multiples.
And speaking of STTN, i think that is one thing you can help with. If there is one thing i tell my new-mom friends, it is to not underestimate the power and value of routine and structure! Her sanity will depend on it. When the time comes, some major effort in est. a routine i assume would pay off huge for her.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
NF, feel free to share it here...I started a thread awhile back about tips from multiple mommas, but it would be nice to get more advice. Did you only bathe them when you had help? What about feeding them when you were alone? Were you more rigid with trying to get both on the same schedule or did you let each one lead the way?

lulu, thanks...I''ll have to read up. She is not reading. I''m the batline for her right now...she calls me with random questions and I look up the answers if I don''t know it. I dropped of a single snap and go stroller this morning but no one could come to the door. So I wrote out the i(brief) nstructions for her in an email on how to open and close it and included a link to a youtube video which she can download on her phone very easily. She told me today she was so frazzled, she didn''t have time to learn how to close it so threw the thing in her minivan left open.

hlmr, I will see if I can get her OK...they are cute kids.

Jas, I''ll see if she can find a support group. But she''s overwhelmed at the thought of taking them out of the house!

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2010 5:06:59 PM
Author: TravelingGal

Date: 2/16/2010 4:54:48 PM
Author: janinegirly

Wishing your friend lots of luck and maybe a 1 or 2 (or 3) will be easy babies! I can't imagine how challenging it is and will be.

I did have a chuckle about what you said about fading memory--someone asked when C crawled and I couldn't remember!
Hahaha, yeah, I remember the huge milestones (crawling and walking) but everything else is fading.

What I do remember well since it was documented here is the process we went through for sleep training and schedules. I know she's going to ask me stuff, but I think 3 is a different ballgame and not sure what to tell her. So much of the minutaie is gone for me...stuff like if they open a little bottle of formula, can they use what's left later? I know we did, but can't remember details. At least that will be less of an issue with more babies home since they can split up those bottles.

It's easy to give advice on PS...people ask, and you throw things out there and PS moms can pick and choose what they think might work. IRL, it's harder to give advice because it's not my kid and what worked for mine may not work for hers. I don't want the responsibility of screwing up someone else's child...I'm doing fine screwing up my own, thanks!!
Well just so I don't sound like a total awful mommy
emwink.gif
--I do document all the milestones, but when someone asked me off the cuff I couldn't remember the exact month! I remember walking since that was the last big one..but not so much crawling--maybe because it blended with the backward crawl/army crawl phase?haha. I spent some time with 2 little babies this weekend (playgroup) and I really had forgotten what they were like..how small they are and the way they gurgle and can be left in one spot for long periods,etc.

You're right about advice. I throw a lot around here but I'm much more reserved IRL. Gosh I can't even imagine what a sleep schedule will be like with 3, it seems like she will need some help (i.e. a nanny). Keep us posted on it all, and she's lucky to have you as a friend! :)

snlee

Ideal_Rock
So glad to hear that two of the boys are home. Hope all three are together again soon. I can''t imagine how chaotic it is with 3 newborns! Hope to see some pictures of the boys soon. Can''t wait to see her PP. It sounds gorgeous!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah, it''s chaotic. She''s doing decently...getting about 2 hours of sleep here and there. Only 1.5 weeks in and she has no idea what steam she''s running on. Spoke with her today and she doesn''t even have time for me to run her lunch. She dealt with the babies this morning, then has an 11 oclock appt in the NICU with the LC to help try and get Noah to learn to eat. She''ll be there a couple of hours, then back home to take care of the 2 at home. At 4 oclock she has to go to her doctor for an iron IV drip because she''s anemic. Then probably back to Noah and then back home for night shift.

I told her, "I don''t even know how to begin helping you." She said to just keep calling her so she can talk about it.

Her mother is amazing though...taking care of my friend''s two at home, cooking for both daughters (and their husbands!) and also helping with my friend''s sister''s twins. I don''t know many people who get 5 grandchildren in practically one shot. Grandmommas are as amazing as mothers...maybe even more so. My own mother gets cross-eyed thinking about what my friend''s mom must be going through. This woman is in her late 60''s!!!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm not sure what advice to give but am happy to answer any questions she has!

I followed the modified on demand feeding schedule. Which meant that I would feed them both when the first one woke up and wanted food. I highly recommend this, because otherwise by the time you're done with one the other two will want to be fed and you'll have to start again. I BFed them so it was a little different, but when my DH fed them in the early months he would just line them up in boppies on the floor and feed them. There's a thing called a podee system and I bet she will love it if she gets one. Allows you to feed (bottles) without hands without propping them on blankets. We didn't have one but a lot of twin moms loved it and I would think it would be essential for a triplet mom so she can feed them all at once.

If she's BFing she can do two at a time. Line boppies up on the couch one on each side. Put on nursing pillow. Lean over and grab one baby and put them on nursing pillow. Then do the same with the other one (be careful to make sure the first doesn't fall off!) and then latch them both on. Reverse the process when done. I recommend the EZ2 Nurse if she is BFing as it's made for twin moms and is much better than a boppy or the like.

Bathing them, seriously babies don't need baths everyday. Far from it unless they had a blowout. At best mine got bathed every other day and at worst every 3-4 days or so. My doc recommended this and I love her for it. newborns really aren't getting dirty after all unless they have a blowout or a bad puke.

As for bathing I would again line up the boppies or bouncy chairs in the bathroom and then bathe one at a time. Bathe, diaper, put back in the bouncy, and repeat. This would work just as well with trips as with twins just more trips back and forth to the bathroom!

And for her own sanity she needs to get comfortable with taking them out or else she will NEVER leave the house. It really isn't too bad and my kids actually are much happier out in the stroller esp. when they are cranky.

Hope that helps-let me know if she has any other questions.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results