shape
carat
color
clarity

Textbooks on Amazon.com?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

goldenstar

Brilliant_Rock
I need to buy a book for a post grad class that I''m taking and this book costs $260 at the school''s bookstore. There are no used versions on half.com-- which is where I usually buy my books (if possible).

Amazon has a few dealers that are selling NEW copies for around $200. Are such dealers trustworthy? I''m afraid to spend the money and then get the wrong book, or a cruddy copy of the book. Its a good chunk of change so I want to be careful. Half.com has been very good but I have zero experience with Amazon.

Are there any students out there that buy textbooks on Amazon? It is safe?

anyname

Shiny_Rock
I''ve bought some of my grad school books on Amazon and I haven''t had any problems with them. Although, when i tried to by the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual IV it turned to be photocopied, which is actually amazing considering how thick that book is. But i got my money back and got to keep the book.

choyoyo

Rough_Rock
Sometimes vendors will sell textbook versions that are not supposed to be sold in the US (like, no CD, soft cover) that were meant to be sold to European customers/overseas etc. Those tend to be less expensive, but are still legitimate copies with the same material inside (minus frills like the CD/DVDs)

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve bought textbooks from amazon, half, and ebay without any issues. I''d check the ISBN to make sure that it''s the right book and pay with a credit card so that you a way to fight if the wrong book is sent.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve bought many, many used textbooks and other books from Amazon. I only had a problem one time when the seller sent the wrong book and apparently never checked their email because I never got a reply. Just choose your seller carefully and you should be fine. Often textbooks are being sold by a student who is finished with them. I would almost never buy a textbook from a school bookstore.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have; I just make sure it is the correct edition. I also email the person to double check; I also make sure it is a seller who had good feedback.

laine

Brilliant_Rock
You also can''t count on the condition being as good as stated. It seems like a lot of sellers just list all their books as "like new" but never check, and they may have highlighting, underlining, etc. I usually will pay a little more for one where the seller has taken the time to note specific problems, like wear on spine or something (but not highlighting or writing inside), so that I''m more likely to get a clean copy.

ETA: Just noticed you''re looking at new versions. I usually buy used so I don''t have as much advice on the new books.

goldenstar

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the tips! I''ll make sure to be careful when ordering. Text book prices are so outrageous!
34.gif
I don''t want to pay full price if I don''t have to.

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
I always buy from amazon, and I''ve never had a bad experience The three most important tips are to make sure the edition is the correct one, check the ISBN, and buy it with enough time before school starts so you get it in time. The private sellers on amazon sell from all different areas of the country, so check shipping estimates.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Confirm that the book has all CDs, cards, access codes, and other inserts before purchasing the book. Many publishers design their books with an entire curriculum to accompany it online. To access the content online you need a valid registration code which is inside the book. Sometimes these codes are bound in, other times they''re just inserted and can get lost. If your instructor plans to use this content as a part of the course, you could end up having to buy a new book anyway.

Also, like others said, confirm the ISBN, confirm that you''re not supposed to ''just'' be buying a book, some books are packaged with other stuff that you''ll need (called a valu-pack). Confirm the edition. Confirm that the book you''re considering is the correct geographic edition (there are Candian editions, international editions, national editions, state editions, city editions, and even specific school editions). Confirming the exact ISBN should take care of this.

I think it''s safe to buy off of Amazon if you confirm the ISBN and speak with the seller to confirm that all ancillary material originally included in the book is present and accounted for in the version you''re buying.

I worked for a textbook publisher for a looooong time, so I know all about this stuff!

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I''ve bought a TON of books on amazon (my MIL used to buy even more before her library system caught up with the times), and never had any problems. A lot of times, the ones listed as "good" condition are actually excellent. I wouldn''t be worried. But ditto the suggestion to confirm that all CDs etc are included and that codes are unused for online software.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I did without a problem. Selling is another story... I had a number of flakey textbook buyers
20.gif

I''ve found better deals on half.com, and another site... something about sheep? or goats? I don''t know.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results