shape
carat
color
clarity

terror plot broken up

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
I heard this news earlier this morning and it is terrifying!!!!!

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
This is alarming!!
i just hope they caught all of them, and that there aren''t any more lingering around in this istance. frightening!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is terrifying. I am really scared.

wifey2b

Brilliant_Rock
ok people...some positive thinking here...I have to fly back to Canada in 3 weeks...hope they let me home...ok..kindda hope
emotion-5.gif
Maybe I should just take a bus back to my honey.. I would be totally safe there
emlove.gif

I am just thankful that this plot was foiled, and I can handle the delays and extra precautions for the safety of myself and all those other people.

Wifey2b :}

wifey2b

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/10/2006 10:51:19 AM
Author: Kaleigh
This is terrifying. I am really scared.
emhug2.gif
For now you are safe Kaleigh...don''t be scared...ok my time to be brave for you since you were so brave for me in January
emotion-5.gif
face23.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I flew after 9/11 (shortly after in fact) and I''ll just keep flying. When it''s your time to go, it''s your time. Whaddaya gonna do? Just do what you can and hope to land safely each and every time, and hope the same for others.

I''m in Washington DC now on business. Woke up to this news. Heard the lines at Dulles are insane, and I have to re-evaluate what I can and can''t take on the plane with me. I had no idea so much of my stuff was liquid or gel! I either have to check in my bag, or get rid of my lipgloss!

But there are definitely worse decisions to make in life...and I''m fine to do whatever, if that means it helps us be safe!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/10/2006 12:14:46 PM
Author: TravelingGal
I flew after 9/11 (shortly after in fact) and I''ll just keep flying. When it''s your time to go, it''s your time. Whaddaya gonna do? Just do what you can and hope to land safely each and every time, and hope the same for others.

I''m in Washington DC now on business. Woke up to this news. Heard the lines at Dulles are insane, and I have to re-evaluate what I can and can''t take on the plane with me. I had no idea so much of my stuff was liquid or gel! I either have to check in my bag, or get rid of my lipgloss!

But there are definitely worse decisions to make in life...and I''m fine to do whatever, if that means it helps us be safe!
i''m with TravelingGal. i was in toronto on 9/11 and it is strange to not be able to get back into one''s own country because the borders are closed to all modes of transport. between movies i was constantly on the cell phone with the airline and we were one of the lucky ones to actually make it out on the same day we were originally planning to return.

i''ve highlighted the above phrase re ''just do what you can and hope.....'' because i think its true each and every day of our life, whether we''re just getting up out of bed, driving our car, or flying.

as i told my husband this a.m., women are going to be the ones most effected by this: think of all the products....some very expensive....that we take with us! and don''t want in the hold because its too hot and will cause said products to separate! however, safety first. As TravelingGal, stated above, there are worse decisions to be made in life....and giving up my hand lotion in flight v. safety, well, i can live w/o hand lotion for a few hours!

btw, we''ll again be in toronto on 9/11.

movie zombie

IrishAngel7982

Brilliant_Rock
You're right Strm, it was a bad one. I had a flight from Chicago to Newark to catch this morning, and my best friend called me at 3am to tell me I need to get to the airport early. When I woke up I was happy to hear that 21 people were arrested in the UK...I ransacked my luggage to take out everything...perfume, soap, toothpaste, lotion, nail polish...anything I thought would be a problem. I got to O'Hare at 7:15 for my 9am flight and told myself there was NO WAY I was going to make my flight. The line for security was the longest I have ever seen. If you've been to O'hare, you know that each terminal is pretty big. The line was wrapped around the entire terminal 3 times, before reaching the security gate in the middle of the terminal. The woman in line behind me didn't really know what was going on, so we told her what we knew and that she wouldn't be able to bring any liquids/gels/creams and she was so upset because she had $8 hand cream and face products of about $50 in her carry-on bag. She wasn't mad, just like "I wish I would've known to pack them so I don't have to throw them out."
That same woman was on the same flight as I was, so we were talking about calling the airline to be put on standby for the next flight to Newark. Just as we reached one of the loops in the line, another security checkpoint at the end of the terminal opened up and they were waving us over to get more people through. We've never been so happy...the woman with me had already called to cancel her appointments before 3pm, and I had called my boyfriend and told him I had no idea when I would get on a plane.
We briskly walked over to the new security check point and I was so thrilled how thorough they were. Before they would take our ticket and id, they told everyone to take out all drinks, liquids, and gels, and put them in a big bin. I didn't even think to clean out my purse when I was going through my luggage at 6:45am, so I ended up having to toss two lip glosses and my water. The screeners checked each item extremely carefully, and yelled "Bag check!" if there was something questionable. One of the agents asked if he could look in my purse, so of course I complied...he went through it and found a little bottle of bridal shower bubbles from last weekend. I completely forgot that I had those in there, but they were thorough enough to fish them out. I apologized because I felt horrible that I had forgotten, but the agent was very sweet and told me not to worry about it.
So, security was very thorough and I was so relieved. I got to the gate and my flight was scheduled to depart on time. The gate attendant told one man that everything was delayed so he shouldn't worry about his connection, and the latest we would most likely leave was 10am. I called everyone who left messages because they were worried about me and said I in fact made my flight (pure luck I believe, God was on my side today!) Five minutes later, the gate attendant said they received the all-clear to get the planes up in the air on schedule, and we started boarding. She made sure no one brought any bottled drinks they may have bought in the terminal, so I was happy to see that also. She was very adamant about that, and told us repeatedly if anyone tried to bring a bottle of water on board he/she would be removed. The plane was only about half-full...maybe because people had a change of plans after hearing the news of the terror plot, or maybe they didn't make it through security in time. We pushed back early at 8:58am, wheels up at 9:10am, and landed about 10 minutes early. I was absolutely shocked...not only that I made the flight, but we departed on time, took off soon after, and didn't get put in a holding pattern in the sky before landing.
So that's my story. It is incredibly scary, but I was very impressed with how they handled things at O'Hare. Security was horrendous, but I was glad because it shows that they took the threat seriously and wouldn't let anything slide. They tell you to arrive 2 hours before your flight, but I was there 1 hour and 45 minutes early and if that second check point hadn't opened right in front of me I doubt I would've gotten to the gate before they closed the door. Now I have to go shopping tonight for some shampoo because I wasn't sure about the restrictions so I took EVERYTHING out of my suitcase, which I checked. As of now, it's only carry-on luggage affected by the "no liquids or gels of any kind" restriction. I felt bad because you could see people in line going through their things and throwing out expensive perfumes and the like, but you gotta do what you gotta do.
When I landed my parents, boyfriend, his parents, and my friends who called were happy that I was safe. I love that feeling. =) What's even more scary is when I called my mom to let her know I landed, she told me that the FBI arrested a terrorist on the most-wanted list at O'Hare! The guy apparently tried to check in using a ticket that originated in New York, and he caused a scene since the agent wouldn't let him check in. The police were quickly on his case since they were EVERYWHERE at the airport, armed with k-9 units, and when they ran his name they found he was one of the FBI's most wanted so he was apprehended around 8am and is in FBI custody right now. It's really scary that I was at the airport when a terrorist was close by (different terminal, but close enough). Who knows what he was planning to do, if anything this morning.
I'm sorry to bore all of you with my long story, but I just thought I'd share what went down in Chicago this morning. It's very unnerving, but I have to say I'm impressed with how the situation was handled, and kudos to the good guys in the UK bringing down this plot so more innocent lives weren't lost. Just my perspective...I don't think everything will ever be perfect, and it will never be the way it once was, but today showed me that maybe we are headed in the right direction to keep travellers safe. At least I hope so! For now, I'm going to enjoy my weekend and not worry about my flight back home to Chicago on Monday morning. On the news out here, NY Gov. Pataki said the terror alert will remain at Orange, but I'm wondering if things will be as hectic in a couple days. I'll find out soon enough! Stay safe everyone!
~Megan

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Intersesting story IrishAngel. Glad you are safe!

Honestly, it''s not flying this week, or even next week that I am worried about. Don''t quote me on it, but after an attack, or after they deter one, nothing usually happens. It''s flying two months from now that I am worried about...

It''s when you least expect it that things happen.
40.gif

IrishAngel7982

Brilliant_Rock
That''s very true TG...they always come up with new ideas don''t they? Very scary.

wifey2b

Brilliant_Rock
IrishAngel,
Thank you for sharing your story from this morning. I am so thankful that I flew in from O''Hare 2 weeks ago...scary stuff. I just hope and pray that all is settled down when I fly out in 3 weeks back to Canada. Thank you for the heads up on what needs to be taen out of our luggage...I wouldnt have even thot of lip gloss and stuff like that. Trust you will have a safe and easier time back on Monday...our thots and prayers are with you...have fun tho on your weekend and try not to worry too much about it.

IrishAngel7982

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Wifey! I'm pretty sure things will be a little bit settled in 3 weeks. International is always a little bit tougher (as I'm sure you know) but it seems that Britain is on a much higher alert than the US or Canada, so I can't imagine you having a tremendous problem. Just give yourself plenty of time! I hope things stay restricted for the time being...I'd feel safer. Oh well, life's an adventure I guess!

wifey2b

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/10/2006 8:06:32 PM
Author: IrishAngel
Thanks Wifey! I''m pretty sure things will be a little bit settled in 3 weeks. International is always a little bit tougher (as I''m sure you know) but it seems that Britain is on a much higher alert than the US or Canada, so I can''t imagine you having a tremendous problem. Just give yourself plenty of time! I hope things stay restricted for the time being...I''d feel safer. Oh well, life''s an adventure I guess!
IrishAngel, you are so right - these restrictions are all for our safety. Did you sense people were understandable this morning at the airport? or were they a little put out for loosing some of their items from out of their luggage...wonder if they ended up having a free for all in teh staff rooms later - giggle...leave it to me to see that - giggle

E B

Ideal_Rock
Remember, you're far more likely to die in your own car than in a terrorist attack.

Just sayin'.

tanuki

Shiny_Rock
If you look back into AlQueda''s past, this sort of plot is an old standby for them.

There was a plot to simultaneously put a bomb on 12 airliners and blow them up over the Pacific ocean back in the 90''s using the same small electronics modified to detonate them. The only difference was they were using plastic explosives (which detectors look for now) and not trying to take nitroglycerine on the plane.

The gratifying aspect is how good thorough police work was able to stop the plots.

IrishAngel7982

Brilliant_Rock
Actually Wifey, I was surprised. Most of the passengers were prepared, and those that weren''t didn''t put up a big fight about throwing away items that weren''t allowed in the cabin. Still, it didn''t stop some people from being a little bit uneasy about it...I''d feel bad if I had to throw away $80 worth of expensive face creams, hand lotions, etc. It''s a small price to pay to keep everyone safe, imo. The only inconvenience I see is that now I''ll just end up checking my suitcase instead of carrying it on. Again, a small price to make sure nothing happens. We were joking about what the TSA would do with all of those products. =) Honestly, the bins were filled with perfumes, lotion, sunblock, drinks, shampoo, you name it. Some very expensive products also. EBree and Tanuki are right. The statistics still show that flying is safer than driving, and trying to bring liquid explosives on board is an old trick. I''m glad the authorities finally cracked down on this issue. =)

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Irish, thanks for sharing your story, it''s so helpful! DH flew out EARLY this a.m. to ATlanta from Midway (Chicago) to ATlanta...if we hadn''t known the details of what was banned from various websites and PS it would''ve been torture for him. He made it through security in about an hour, much longer than usual, said there were a lot of long lines (Monday a.m. travelers, no doubt) but is thankful security measures were being taken. I met him exactly 10 days before 9/11, when we were both traveling, and let me tell you it is always a peace-of-mind thing rather than a hindrence when either of us travels to deal with security. We will gladly, like you, spill out our belongings, knowing that it is for our own good, and buy the things we need when we get to our destination, if needed. Thank you for posting your experience--just talked to DH and he said it was a PITA but worth it. Take care!
35.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
my fears are about the people they manage to get placed on the inside, at airports etc...also, I think that once the stress and fear dies down, they will be on the ready. Since 9/11 one of the worst things has been living in fear and with the anticipation that it will happen again...when, where, how...we have seen attacks overseas but there are still things that freak me out in the US. These are patient, vengeful people who feel they are dying for a noble cause. Cannot understand it at all. They were speaking on a British channel about the brothers they arrested and made a comment that they were trying to think like terrorists in order to catch them. Seems to be this would be a wise course, and should have been for a long while now. Bin Laden was bombing our ships and embassies years ago...we need to find him...

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
Does anyone ever worry that it is all some conspiracy done up by the government? I generally don''t believe this, but sometimes it crosses my mind to think "I wonder....this catching them before is so conveinient"

OTOH, I''ve seen enough of Islamic fundamentalism to believe they are capable.

ammayernyc

Brilliant_Rock
I flew back from Europe on Sunday and boy, what security! We flew from Vienna to Paris, which was not a problem, but then Paris to New York was nightmarish. There were four security points, they hand searched our bags twice... thowing out different things at each point... and then frisked my finance once and me twice. All of this and I realized that I still had some eye drops on me when I got on the plane. They completely forgot to check on pocket of my carry-on bag. Not that much faith in the system... AND... I heard this morning that the security machines can''t detect explosives in shoes. Just great...

IrishAngel7982

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/15/2006 1:30:33 AM
Author: monarch64
Irish, thanks for sharing your story, it''s so helpful! DH flew out EARLY this a.m. to ATlanta from Midway (Chicago) to ATlanta...if we hadn''t known the details of what was banned from various websites and PS it would''ve been torture for him. He made it through security in about an hour, much longer than usual, said there were a lot of long lines (Monday a.m. travelers, no doubt) but is thankful security measures were being taken. I met him exactly 10 days before 9/11, when we were both traveling, and let me tell you it is always a peace-of-mind thing rather than a hindrence when either of us travels to deal with security. We will gladly, like you, spill out our belongings, knowing that it is for our own good, and buy the things we need when we get to our destination, if needed. Thank you for posting your experience--just talked to DH and he said it was a PITA but worth it. Take care!
35.gif
No problem Monarch! Thursday morning at O''Hare was absolute insanity because it was only hours since the plot was broken up, and most of the passengers in line didn''t know what happened so the TSA hand checked every bag and some people weren''t happy about losing their items. I flew back home yesterday morning, and over the weekend things had calmed down a bit but Newark was still on high alert (as they should be...United 93 took off from there on 9/11.) It wasn''t nearly as bad though. It took me a whopping 15 minutes to get through security at Newark instead of the usual 30 seconds. =) Anyway, I was hoping it would be helpful to share my ordeal if anyone was due to fly somewhere, so I''m glad I could help your husband! I share his attitude...it was a major PITA on Thursday and will be in the future having to either check my carry-on suitcase or buy soaps, etc when I get there, but I''m glad they''re cracking down with these restricted items (even though they''ve already eased up on the rules.) I hope your DH has a safe trip home!!!

CaptAubrey

Brilliant_Rock
For me, the most chilling part about this plot is that, like the 7/7 bombings, most if not all of the conspirators were native-born British citizens. IOW, they were born and raised in a free society, and still managed to get caught up in this kind of insanity.

We''re going to start seeing things like this in the US--it''s only a matter of time.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/16/2006 4:25:33 PM
Author: CaptAubrey
For me, the most chilling part about this plot is that, like the 7/7 bombings, most if not all of the conspirators were native-born British citizens. IOW, they were born and raised in a free society, and still managed to get caught up in this kind of insanity.

We''re going to start seeing things like this in the US--it''s only a matter of time.
and that time has already come and gone: anyone remember oklahoma city?! what was that if not a terrorist attack by one of our own on our own soil?!

movie zombie

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results